Why not make the usb drive I'm sure it would sell well and could be ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jbj9871 no está en línea Stack level 3

Why not make 4.2 os usb drive

Advertisement

Why not make the usb drive I'm sure it would sell well and could be put into os 4.2 no problem 8100 is going to have storage anyway and the camera and storage is there anyway so why not go ahead and show the juju fruit eating windows mobile users that the 8700 is the king .

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Why not make 4.2 os usb drive

As I said in my Response to your other thread on this subject. I think the battery life would suffer immensely, and I just can't see using an 8700 with a USB Drive sticking out of the side. BB Devices are communications tools, they are not MP3 Players. I can see having a multimedia player for Streaming video presentations, but I don't think that most users will be storing a lot of video or audio on their BBs.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Your right about battery life but I was thinking on the line as device capablity just for fun

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

But RIM doesn't do things "Just for Fun". They have to keep the Business model in mind. Otherwise they get in trouble with the stockholders and the Stock exchange. That said, I imagine that in the next generation Devices, we will see memory expansion, but I don't think it will include being able to power a flash drive.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

who is the 8100 going to be focused on teen agers

Traknologist no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F916AF

I understand where you guys are coming from but there are professionals in the entertainment industry like my self who send AV files back and fourth all day and it would be nice to have the capacity on my 8700g to approve a file and send it to where it has to be when I'm not at the studio or near a computer with a internet connection, i.e. laying in the back yard gettin some sun, or at the local cafe, or at the park with my daughter.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Traknologist, Welcome to Pinstack. Good point, but is it really necessary to have it on the Blackberry device? I would think that if it was hosted on a protected website, with streaming media you could do the same thing and not have to worry about running out of memory. And if it's coming by email as an attachment, it's not stored on the BB for very long anyway. Attachments are hosted on the BES or BIS servers and downloaded when requested. As available memory decreases, or time passes they are deleted and only the transporting email is left on the BB device. To really need the extra storage we're talking about here you would be downloading the files from a PC for the most part.

Again, Welcome.
    Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer

williamlc21 no está en línea Stack Lead

As someone who takes calls all day long giving bb support I have to say that I believe RIM is giving the customer what they are asking for for now. From one one call to the next I hear "when will there be a camera," or "will there be sd card memory." Maybe with time and enough requests a usb drive would be considered. I can honestly say I have never had a caller ask about this. Just my thoughts.

eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro

You're absolutely right. One or two people asking for this doesn't make it a market force. First of all, there are no USB drives on the market with the mini-USB connector that is in the BB. Secondly, you can use OBEX to transfer files in 4.2 to bluetooth equiped PCs, which is a much better solution as it doesn't require extra cables or bits of hardware.

If you need to store larger files, buy a larger SD card. How many mobile phones and/or PDAs currently available on the market support USB drives? I can think of at least, oh, none.

In fact, the more I think about it, the impracticalities involved in using a BlackBerry with a USB drive sticking out of it are quite numerous. I'm sticking to BlueTooth and RIM probably will too.