After a Kyocera 6035, then 7135, then Treo 650, I was forced to get this ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

lyron no está en línea Stack level 1

Why does it keep deleting my entered data?

Advertisement

After a Kyocera 6035, then 7135, then Treo 650, I was forced to get this 8100 by my company. I've had it since about mid-January. It's a neat little device in a lot of ways, but there are many inconveniences and drawbacks. I have very little good to say about the thing so far, quite honestly. The primary one is this: Last weekend, I went into the device to check something - I noticed three strange things had taken place:

1) My call log was empty

2) Most of my messages (SMS and e-mail) have been purged

and most importantly

3) My calendar had deleted every single entry except for everything from now minus 7 days.

Lo and behold, it happened again this weekend. As a result, I have lost 2 expense reports and 2 work reports, covering 6 and 3 days, respectively. A great deal of irreplaceable information was lost, and I'm going to have to try to produce 2 weeks worth of work documentation and expense recording by memory. Why is it doing this? This has cost me a lot of money so far, on the order of several hundred dollars.

I have checked all the settings (none of which I have changed), and I have "Keep forever" in all the applicable settings. It doesn't appear that the space is an issue, it has consistently read that about 10MB of 65MB are free. I am figuring that it's only a matter of time before the device decides that I don't need my contacts or my memos anymore either, and clears all of them.

Any help in addressing this problem would be appreciated - perhaps this is ignorance on my part, I just can't figure out why it's doing what it is doing -

Thanks in advance -

BS

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: Why does it keep deleting my entered data?

hey BS - sorry to hear that you are having these issues

at first 'guess' i would say that you are running the original OS on your device, which was known for memory dumping. let's first check that

options/about
    will be third line down
    mine says v4.2.0.71
    if your last two digits are less than .71/you are running the older OS.

you will need to update.

avante no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2405C4B1

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo
    hey BS - sorry to hear that you are having these issues

at first 'guess' i would say that you are running the original OS on your device, which was known for memory dumping. let's first check that

options/about
    will be third line down
    mine says v4.2.0.71
    if your last two digits are less than .71/you are running the older OS.

you will need to update.
    That was my first guess also! What's the verdict on that? Is your OS up to date?

FerNasty no está en línea Stack level 2

im thinking his memory is jammed up..do you have a sd micro card?

> options/about
    > will be third line down
    > mine says v4.2.0.71
    > if your last two digits are less than .71/you are
    > running the older OS.

Hmmm - mine uses this version as well -

> im thinking his memory is jammed up..do you have a sd micro card?

I do - but all it is doing is holding mp3s and photos from the camera - and come to think of it, it is possible that this problem roughly coincided with (a) getting/installing the micro card, (b) loading mp3s in the music directory, and/or (c) changing the "save" directory for the camera to the micro-SD - are you implying that there instances of the presence of the card somehow causing problems with the phone memory?

Thanks again for the help & the quick responses -

BS

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

You SD card has nothing to do with it. The phone won't use that for processing anything, it's strictly used for storage. Your device memory was probably running low. Then did a memory dump. Under Options and Status see how much memory you have left. How many 3rd party apps have you installed? Try doing a battery pull after checking and see if that frees up any memory. Earlier OS versions had memory leaks. I haven't experienced it with this version though. Good Luck

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

In addition to the battery pull and removing any unwanted programs that you installed, I would also go into Options/Advanced/Applications and remove all language modules that you don't use.

That should help clean up your memory. It's always a good idea to do a battery pull every couple of days to refresh your BB's memory.

> How many 3rd party apps have you installed? Try doing a
    > battery pull after checking and see if that frees up any memory.

With experience with 3rd party applications butting heads with one another and causing the occasional problem with my previous smartphones, I vowed that I would try to keep them to a minimum when I got the 8100 (I'm talking 30 or 40 on some of my other phones). The only two I have loaded are OperaMini and GoogleMaps.

Is there a "backup buddy" type system that could be resident on my SD card, similar to the way I used to do on the Palm platform? That would at least let me back up on demand, no matter where I was -

Thanks -

BS

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

With only two apps installed how is it that you only have about 10mb left? I have tons of apps (about 20) and still have 20mb left. I do consistantly delete messages and emails. I also have my pearl deleting old messages after 15 days. That gives me enough time to save them if I need to.

As for backing up applications I don't know of any 3rd party ones. Handango may have some. I usually backup with the desktop manager once a week at the least. Quite a bit more if I'm tinkering with my pearl. Trust me the backup it is a life saver!!! Accidentally synced to outlook one night (KEEP IN MIND I DON'T USE OUTLOOK) it deleted every one of my addresses except for 4.

Hope this helps