Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Great comments on this post, FYI- NO PHONE CAMERA or Mp3 Capable phone has ever ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

Re: Why Blackberry Needs....

Advertisement

Great comments on this post,

FYI- NO PHONE CAMERA or Mp3 Capable phone has ever REPLACED a Fully functional (and dedicated) digital camera or Mp3 player (ipod or otherwise)

However as many of you already stated- there have been plenty of times I wish I had a camera on me just to take that quick pic or that mp3 player on me 1gb, 5gb whatever with some tunes on it cause I was stuck somewhere in my commute or something.

It is about convienence, I personally do not like the idea of walking around with a Batman-esg "UTILITY BELT" of devices (phone, mp3 player, pda, keys, maglite, glock..etc)

So all in one, on a BB particularly if it does not lessen the quality already built into the BB- would be great.

Now if I know for a fact I need a camera...well thats when you whip out the Canon Digital SLR and get busy...

But if Im walking the streets and run into Halle Berry and get her to kiss me on the cheek....well a camera phone would be MIGHTY HANDY....

colabnet no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by peguero
    Great comments on this post,
    It is about convienence, I personally do not like the idea of walking around with a Batman-esg "UTILITY BELT" of devices (phone, mp3 player, pda, keys, maglite, glock..etc)
    But if Im walking the streets and run into Halle Berry and get her to kiss me on the cheek....well a camera phone would be MIGHTY HANDY....
    Hahahahah..... I loved the bat-belt comment - that cracked me up over lunch....LMAO even now....

For some reason I feel the need for a camera phone all of the sudden... maybe it's the possibility of suddenly getting some sugar from Halle...

great post!
    Collaborative Network Technologies Inc.
    http://www.colabnet.com
    55 Bond Street, Suite 103,
    St. John's, NL
    A1C 1S9

tprime no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2040d422

Quote Originally Posted by peguero

You're hilarious! But I agree. If rim includes a glock then blackberry would really be the ultimate device.
    Really I have a digital camera and mp3 player but I dont always carry them. However I always carry my blackberry. So if it still has all the great features but also has a camera, mp3 player etc. even better.
    I dont see any reason for complaints at all.
    If you are restricted from having a camera at your place of work or business, stick with the other models.

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

I think there's an additional point to bring to this discussion that hasn't been mentioned yet. As others have mentioned, having a sub-par digicam on your phone doesn't make a lot of sense if you're going to have to go home and plug it into a USB port to get the pictures off. A full-fledged digicam works far better in this case, and this has been the functionality thus provided by most cell-phone cameras. In fact, I think for some cell-phones, it's even a hassle to get the pics off the camera through a wire.

HOWEVER, digicam + BB = what? Answer: emailing photos that you have just taken!

Tell me one device that enables you to quickly and cheaply send a picture to anybody in the world (with an email account)? With cell-phone cameras, I've heard it costs you about $1.00 to send one lousy pic, and it's still a hassle to figure out the software. If RIM gets this working right, it means a 3-click operation to email a pic, at no additional cost to your regular BB plan! Who else in the world can do that!??

twistone no está en línea Stack Professional

To respond to the last post there is another device that allows you to send pics that way without any extra charges that's the sidekick though it is in no way what the BB is that function is available. As far as the other features that the 8100 will have its great for those who need or want it for those that don't continue using the oh so perfect bb that are already out and that will be out. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

Good point. Learn something new every day.

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

My main concern over this is that they won't keep their business oriented BB's separate from the consumer level devices like the 8100.

There are still large numbers of cell phones being produced without cameras or MP3 players, because despite the bandwagon effect, the phone manufacturers and carriers know that there are a significant number of people who don't want or need such uneccesary features in a phone.

A number of my users are still annoyed that they no longer make Blackberries without phones built into them, because they can't take them into court with them.
    I know of others who work in secure facilities where you cannot bring a cameraphone into the building, so finding decent phones without all the extras is a chore. They want and have a right to buy, IMO, full featured quality phones without a ton of tacked on features they will never use.

Personally, I don't want a camera or MP3 player in my cell phone. I have devices that to both better than any phone ever will. I know quite a few people who feel the same way. Cell phones aren't gadgets for us, they're necessities. There are far more interesting gadgets out there to play with than a cell phone.

So to say that it's only people who can't afford such features in the public sector is a gross generalization.

Another conern I have is that as far as I can tell, RIM has done little to nothing to actually improve battery life, yet keeps tacking on features to their devices. Even if the 8100 uses the extended battery, I seriously doubt it'll go for more than a day or two of actual use without neeeding to be recharged. Using an 8700 scrictly as an email device you can get about a week on the standard battery, with moderate phone user or gaming, that time gets cut in half. I don't even want to speculate on how bad the battery life on Nextel 8700 would be if there were one, as all their devices start out getting half the runtime of their counterparts.

I understand RIM's desire to get a chunk of the consumer space, but unless they've significantly improved their battery life, and they've managed to make the D-Pad better than the wheel, I don't see this being more than a smalll splash for them.

If they really wanted to make serious gains, they'd cut deals with Samsung and Motorola or LG to make BB's under license. Motorola in particular would be an ideal partner, because they have a knack for designing phones that people go well... Bat-poo insane over when they're released. That's the kind of impact RIM needs to make if it hopes to make any gains in the consumer market.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12