Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Okay, so people are complaining and here are some of the comments that I have ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Why Blackberry Needs....

Advertisement

Okay, so people are complaining and here are some of the comments that I have seen recently:

"Oh no, they are going to add a camera and take away from the uniqueness of the Blackberry!"
    "Don't put expandable memory in the device because of security reasons".
    "Because of security issues, there is no way they will make a device with a camera".

Well, as shown with the 8100, Blackberry is going to be offering a camera, and here is why.

Obviously with the all of a sudden trickle of Blackberry devices actually being advertised, they realize that they are missing a large amount of the consumer market.

If RIM wants to compete in a consumer market, they are going to have to make a product that is based more towards a consumer and not business. This is why I personally believe, that if it hasn't happened internally yet at RIM, they need to split R&D into 2 departments: Private consumer and Public Consumer.

Every cell phone that is being released on the market has ATLEAST a camera, mp3 player, etc now. If RIM wants to try and push into the consumer market, they are going to need to offer this also. Building a device for public consumers and trying to take on the buyers of Razrs, Samsungs, Motorolas, etc. is a must. If you want to get into that part of the market and you don't offer the products that consumers want to see, then it would be like DELL building a desktop computer that only had a dial-up modem and no LAN connection.

The general public honestly doesn't give a damn about PUSH E-mail, security encryption and all the other great things these devices can do, do they? No. They care more about the "cool" features. A camera and MP3 player are "cool features" now-a-days and if a consumer DOES purchase a phone without one of these, its probably not because they want to, but because they have to because they can only afford a Cricket phone.

Now, will RIM start installing cameras and MP3's in all of their devices? No way. Won't happen. Business account for way too much of their income, and that's what makes RIM survive. But they obviously are going to have a public consumer line and a private consumer line.

Would I buy a Blackberry with a camera? Probably to be honest. Not that I would ever really use it, however, in the instance where you need to get something "on film" right away and you aren't lugging around a digital camera with you, it would come in handy. Even in some businesses this may be convenient. Insurance adjusters being able to send pictures of damaged vehicles instantly without having to hook up to a laptop. Also in the case of an emergency, a camera can come in handy. During the subway bombings in London, information was captured on a camera phone that was later used in an investigation. Or if you are driving down the street and witness a wild driver. Click. There ya go. Like I said, these are kind of out of the ordinary circumstances, however I personally wouldn't be using a camera all that much, but I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it (kinda like a gun ya know?).

Would I care about an MP3 player? No. MP3's aren't a big thing to me. I don't own an IPOD or any type of MP3 player. What would be nice though (and this is already happening) would be able to have XM radio streamed to your device. Again, this is just a personal wish of mine. That way when I am out doing my shopping or whatnot and I am wanting to listen to the game or qualifying or something else, I can. So if they happened to somehow equip that into the device also, that would be just a perk. Plus, I am too cheap and lazy to go out and buy a portable XM radio. The truth is I wouldn't use it enough to justify spending the money ($300+?!?! ) on a portable XM radio...Plus, that's just one last thing I need in my pocket, on my hip, etc. I think I need a man purse because I carry so much crap around with me.

All that being said, if you don't want a Blackberry with a camera, mp3 player or any other option they are planning on adding, the answer is simple. Just don't buy one. RIM is still going to offer devices without those options. They have to. It's their livelyhood.

So RIM is going to start having consumer products, so get used to it.

Of course, thats just my opinion, I could be wrong (Plagurizing Dennis Miller there, )

N8

bcuzi8paintchips no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Why Blackberry Needs....

Feel better? I wouldn't use the camera or the mp3 player. No way RIM can build a phone that tops the 60G memory I have in my iPOD.

kutdawg no está en línea Stack level 2

here, here N8

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by bcuzi8paintchips
    Feel better? I wouldn't use the camera or the mp3 player. No way RIM can build a phone that tops the 60G memory I have in my iPOD.
    Thanks for mentioning that, because that was something else I meant to address there, the expanded memory slot.

RIM just needs to build a device with a 5 gigs of memory or so. Then there would be no need for a removeable SD card.

ffmike no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    21C0D135

I agree completely. They are obvoiusly going after the consumer market, and there is no way they can abandon the business/Govt market, sooooo.... 2 distinct model lines.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I love the fact that they are finally offering devices/capabilities that are geared more towards the consumer market. That's why more teenagers using the device. With the camera, memory and mp3 features, in addition to the PDA, email and phone capabilities, expect more teens to try out the device instead of Sidekicks, Palms/Treos, Ogos, etc.

I agree with ffmike above. If you want new features or the latest model device, get the newer consumer devices. If you're more comfortable with the business model, get that model without the latest additions.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Well stated N8! I think you're right on!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    My only concern with all the added features, nost of which I won't use, would be the possibility of negatively impacting reliability.

There are security concious companies that have changed or are reviewing policies concerning phone cameras and extra memory capabilities because of the profusion of those devices on the market now.

I would not need a camera, but the ability to stream a video presentation, which are becoming more common in all industries, would be a real winner.

Just my $0.02
    Rcbjr

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

If my bb 8700 had a camera and a good mp3 player. I'd use it, its in no way a replacement for an ipod or my digital camera, but there have been times I wished I had my camera on me.

2 distinct product lines would be a good idea, one for business and another consumer line...They have to answer demand, people want these toys in addition for phone and email services.

I say bring on the consumer line and let us choose which direction we go.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    ask

Nate, I agree w/ya on the hard drive!

PIN/ID
    ask

I also wish they had a RIM application which I could review word, excel and pdf files better. No 3rd party stuff, RIM!

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Preach on brother N8!!!!

cmccrary10 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21B2714B

i love any extra feature i can get. I carry around 2 phones. my blackberry 8700 and my lg vx8100 on verizon. this allows me to have the benefit of 2 networks to choose from, all my email, and an mp3 player and camera. but i would be willing to drop my verizon in nov. when my contract is over if blackberry had a qwerty with a camera and mp3.
    http://www.chancedizzle.com

blackberry 8700/8800/8300 wallpapers and hip hop ringtones - http://www.chancedizzle.com/phone

racinrocker no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    24b4c6de

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i agree with n8

colabnet no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by bcuzi8paintchips
    Nice post N8!

I think the main point is that if RIM "wants in" in the consumer market it needs to have a device that has the features of other handsets that are in that space - unfortunately (or not) the general consumer space is defined by handsets with mediocre camera and music capabilities, so then, this means that RIM will also need these same features.

So to me, its not really a question of RIM trying to usurp iPOD or jPOD etc, its a question of John Q looking at the top features of a Nokia and then looking at the top features of RIM and then doing a comparison - unfortunately life is so frenetic and there is so match marketing static and so many technorati terms - wap, mp3, evdo, edge blah blah blah , the average barraged person has not much more to go on than the size of your phone's.... err... feature list when making a selection.

Personally, I'd be a lot happier if iPODs and cameras had bluetooth and could interface with my blackberry over that - I'd love to be able to snap a pic with my Canon, flip the pic to my BB over bluetooth, and blog it from my BB

My $0.02
    Last edited by colabnet; 08-11-2006 at 12:01 PM.
    Collaborative Network Technologies Inc.
    http://www.colabnet.com
    55 Bond Street, Suite 103,
    St. John's, NL
    A1C 1S9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast