I have a chance to pick between the 8100 Pearl or the BB 8800 for ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

spikesnet no está en línea Stack level 1

Which one would you rather have?

Advertisement

I have a chance to pick between the 8100 Pearl or the BB 8800 for the same price. It looks like the 8800 has everything the 8100 does but more to me.

Which one would you pick if given the chance?

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

Re: Which one would you rather have?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ pearl

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

they will do the same things with the difference of 8800 has GPS, and the 8100 has camera. The 8800 has full keyboard but they are "smushed" together more so harder to type on.

BusterJames no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2422753A

jeffpettis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me!

I have the 8800 and I got it for work, but it do not have a camera wich I don't care for as much. But the 8800 has a GPS built in. But now google have updated their mapping version so non GPS devies can have gps tracking useing cell towers. By chioce will be the pearl. Downlaod google maps and you will have the best of both worlds, GPS and camera. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

boomboom no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    retired

the 8100 pearl has a better keyboard (suretype) and it is easier to type on. It is really hard to type on the 88xx and the 83xx series of phones.

The Pearl has a camera but no GPS, if you are a t-mobile customer, the 8320 has WiFi with t-mobile @ home but there have been problems with that service as of late.

As for GPS, you can buy an adapter for your Pearl and have GPS on your device. It would plug into where you power your BB.

My suggestion is the Pearl. It is by far one of the better phones from RIM. Even thou the Pearl came out a year and 3 months ago (sept 06), I would suggest that phone.

If you are looking for just a phone for e-mail, the 7105 and the 8700 are great phones as well. Those phones thou lack GPS, WiFi and camera. So you are out of luck there. But they are very durable, especially the 71xx series. I don't think you can buy a 71xx series brand new but they have them available at sites like eBay.

Another suggestion is going to a retail store and try out each type of phone. I have noticed with the Pearl from Verizon (8130),the Pearl in the center is more in, and doesn't stick out. Which makes it harder to use, but the pearl from Cingular or T-mobile (8100) is far better design. The pearl is great and easy to navigate. Also there have been reports with that on the 83xx as well. Also I would suggest visiting T-mobile and cingular stores as well to see what products they have. Make sure you try the typing and ask about the features and if you have to suscribe to them in order for them to work. For example, Wifi on the T-mobile 8320 only works with the @home service.

spikesnet no está en línea Stack level 1

I went to a couple of stores but no one has the 8800 anymore, just the 8830. With the 8800's GPS can I use google maps or the blackberry maps program for driving directions or is it setup so I have to pay AT&T to use GPS?

Also, I currently have a Pearl but if I want I can trade it for a 8800.

Yogich no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Choice is simple: Pearl.

though the 8800 has a larger screen/full keyboard, that is offset by my inability to use the keyboard. My fingers want to hit multiple keys, and restricting a finger to one is nigh impossible.
    Further, my brother had an 8800 and is looking at the Pearl.

mac14x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    217a1629

Pearl of course, its small, easy to type and has everything that 8800 has besides Wi-fi but the 8120 has it anyways. The 8800 is a monster in one word.