Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First post newbie here. I've had a 7290 for a year and just bit the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

rdc2000 no está en línea Stack level 2

Where to Buy- T-Mobile or 3rd party?

Advertisement

First post newbie here.

I've had a 7290 for a year and just bit the bullet and ordered a Pearl. For a variety of reasons (mostly financial) I'm switching from Cingular to T-Mobile (family plan). I was ready to buy the phones (1 Pearl, 2 Samsung T-629) through T-Mobile. I could have gotten all 3 for $400 up front then $150 in rebates and some free crap I didn't want. For fun I looked on Amazon. Got all 3 for $0 up front, free 2-day shipping and $75 rebate on top. Seemed too good to pass up so I placed the order. They promise phones are new.

Now I'm getting nervous that I'm going to regret it if there are problems. So here's the question. Has anyone ordered through Amazon or other 3rd party providers? Good experience? Bad? Did T-Mobile treat you differently? Any comments would be much appreciated.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: Where to Buy- T-Mobile or 3rd party?

rdc - congrats on the new bb pearl and welcome to pinstack!

the good news is that there are people on here that have bought from Amazon and i haven't heard one single bad thing...i'll let them pipe in tho. just wanted to say welcome

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I haven't heard anything bad about Amazon. All good things actually. Wish I could have gotten my pearl for free.

Thanks- I'm pretty anal when it comes to researching stuff before I buy. Pinstack has been the best of the zillion+ sites I've checked. Hopefully I won't have to bug everyone too much when I'm up and running.

Nimic no está en línea Stack level 1

I bought my Pearl used off Ebay, and T-Mobile was very helpful in getting it setup. It was quite a chore actually because the PIN had been registered previously. I think that as long as you're willing to let them lock you into a contract, they don't really care where you got the equipment... Everything will be fine!

winste no está en línea Stack level 2

I'm getting ready to buy from a third party as well. The only bad thing I've seen about Amazon comes if you want to port a number. Two people in the Amazon feedback section mentioned that the phones come activated with a number and then if you want to port your old number, you call Cingular and they want to charge $200 or so to do so. Now that is Cingular not t-mobile and given it's only two people out the countless that order, it may not be entirely accurate.

I have three co-workers who used letstalk.com. They had given them their phone numbers up front and the phones came activated with their old numbers. They had to go two days without a phone.

Please be sure to tell us how it works out. I've got four weeks until my VZ contract is up and am seriously considering the Amazon/Pearl/T-Mobile route.

I have until 4/23 until my cingular contract is up. But I needed new phones now and knew I was going to switch so will pay for both plans until contract is up.

I have never heard of charging to port numbers. It is probably illegal at most and self defeating at least. I ported to Cingular 2 years ago from Sprint when the law had just changed. It was a bit of a hassle but did not cost anything. It's supposed to be smoother now. Fingers crossed...

winste no está en línea Stack level 2

I think the way the carrier may be able to charge is that they are in essence switching the phone number for an existing contract. It appears that Amazon may initiate a contract on your behalf under a new number and then force you to switch your now new contract to an old number vs. issuing a new contract with your old number.

Again, this is just what a couple of reviewers said on the amazon site. It may or may not be very accurate. I'm sure if you aren't porting numbers, you have nothing to worry about.

I will be porting numbers, but have to wait until contract is up to do it. So I won't know for a month!

I read those comments on Amazon, impossible to tell, but I wonder if they were trying to be cute and were already cingular customers?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by rdc2000
    Thanks- I'm pretty anal when it comes to researching stuff before I buy. Pinstack has been the best of the zillion+ sites I've checked. Hopefully I won't have to bug everyone too much when I'm up and running.
    When your up and running and have questions just come on back! Everyone is willing to help.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    One thing to consider is this. Make sure you do your plan changes through Amazon. There are sites similar where if you change your plan through the carrier, they stick you with like a 400 dollar tab! So when you get your contract, READ the FINE print! Just a friendly warning! Just be careful. Not saying you'll have issues, just make sure you don't.

b_d0za no está en línea Stack level 3

I did a lot of searching before I got my pearl and ended up purchasing through Wirefly. It was free of charge with a new 2 year contract with t-mobile.

The catch is, though, that you have an agreement not only with t-mobile, but with wirefly as well. If you change your rate plan to a less expensive one, you can get fined like 2 or 3 hundred dollars. There are more like this so just read their agreement if you want to purchase from them.

They give a lot of rebates for phones, but I've read a bunch of reviews of people that never got their rebates. My phone came with a rebate, but I had to keep the bb internet or whatever for 20 bucks a month. Since I didn't think I'd get the money for my rebate, and I couldn't afford internet as of now, I didn't care about it. As a matter of fact they were supposed to have it activated, but when i called to cancel it, it wasn't on anyways. Good thing i didn't care about the rebate, huh?

Anyways, I've heard quite a few people say they had a good experience with wirefly as long as you don't try to cash in their rebates, change your rate plan to a lower one, or try to unlock your phone and use it with another carrier or another t-mobile account.

So my advice would be to READ the Agreement with the third party company if you choose to purchase from them. And check out resellerratings.com and do a search of the company you are thinking about purchasing from.

Good luck!!

addictedson no está en línea Stack level 2

i ordered from wirefly.com basically got my pearl and a slivr for free.

floyd084 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Re: Where to Buy- T-Mobile or 3rd party?

i just got my t-mobile 8100 frome amazon a week ago. it was free and everythign works fine. couldnt be happier

Have had mine for 2 days. Everything is working fine. One thing that is bugging me a little is something cosmetic on the case. The edge of metal side piece is sticking up a little on the left side. If I run my fingers down the right edge where it meets the screen it's completely smooth. On the left side you feel the metal edge sticking up. It's visible too. Don't know if it's enough to make me got through the hassle of exchanging, but it's there.

The 2 samsung t-629's I got at the same time seem perfect. Nice phones...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast