Any1 have any idea when the software/os update for the trackball will be here?... BlackBerry Pearl forum

scotteru33 no está en línea Stack level 2

When will software/os update for trackball be here

Advertisement

Any1 have any idea when the software/os update for the trackball will be here?

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Re: When will software/OS update for trackball be here

Quote Originally Posted by scotteru33
    Any1 have any idea when the software/OS update for the trackball will be here?
    Well the Rogers Pearl [that is, the 8100 offered by that carrier other than T-Mobile] had the ringer issue corrected. [Hence members in here discussing and installing the Rogers Operating System on their T-Mo Pearls].

So RIM is listening and is able to get software patches and updates fairly quick.

But, patches and fixes have to be tested. It does no good to issue a fix if it causes other problems. Apparently, for example, the Rogers' Pearl operating system has a few bugs. So it corrected the trackball issue, but now there are other problems.

If issuing a fix for T-MO Pearls, RIM will have to fine tune the Rogers' patch for issue to us with T-Mo phones. All this takes time. Programming operating systems takes time.

One of the hazards of being the first on the block to have the latest and greatest device is that we become beta testers.

I would suspect, considering the seriousness of the ringer issue that a T-Mo patch for the Pearl will come out this month or next. I suspect the last thing RIM and T-Mo want is to issue a patch that fixes some problems, but causes others.

Of course, by the time other carriers get the Pearl, the OS will be perfect. But, the trade-off for that is others have to only look on with envy as we enjoy the 8100 for three or four months.
    Last edited by sanfrancisco; 10-09-2006 at 08:09 PM.

ericugs no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: When will software/os update for trackball be here

Neophyte question for you guys.

If I were to install the Rogers O/S and it began to give me problems, will Tmobile still give me support since their O/S is not on it?

And will I lose any functionality of my tmobile pearl.

Thanks!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

scotteru33 and ericugs, Welcome to PinStack. You can install the Rogers OS, but if you have problem that are specific to that update of the OS and don't cause problems using the TMO OS. TMO will not be able to help you. They will still give you support, but may not be able to correct the problem. And you can always revert to the original TMO Software, just by re-executing the OS .exe file on your PC.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by ericugs
    Neophyte question for you guys.

If I were to install the Rogers O/S and it began to give me problems, will TMobile still give me support since their O/S is not on it?

And will I lose any functionality of my TMobile pearl.

Thanks!
    You have answered the question. IMHO a "neophyte" should NOT be experimenting with installation of non-T-Mobile operating system software.

Some people who have installed the Rogers software have reported problems. They have then pleaded for help in here.

If you want to gamble that things will go smoothly, take a shot. But I think you should stay put. Don't be in such a hurry to mod things.

From a tech support standpoint, keep in mind that if you ever call T-Mo for help, as soon as you say you installed Rogers software, they will hang up the phone, so to speak. So if you go the Rogers route, be prepared to be on your own. I guess you could uninstall Rogers and reinstall the T-Mo OS if things go bad.

From a legal standpoint, T-Mo's TOS [terms of service] says that if you mod the phone in any way, including the software, the warranty is void. Same goes for their obligation to provide tech support.

ericugs no está en línea Stack level 3

Thanks for the prompt response.

Yea, I figured I shouldnt be messing with it, thus i wont! Ill just wait until they got an o/s release out themselves no sense in messing this thing up!

Again, thanks for the help, loving this new pearl, except i only get GPRS in my house not EDGE !

bendite no está en línea Stack level 2

I installed the Rogers OS about 2 weeks ago and I have been happy with it. It solved my two issues. IMO, if you can live with the issues you are having, I would leave the pearl alone until TMo comes out with a new version. If it's driving you mad, you may want to give the Rogers OS a shot.