Hello, so far I want to thank everyone who posted answers to my questions. I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

pearly8100 no está en línea Stack level 2

when turning off the phone, auto-turn back on?

Advertisement

Hello, so far I want to thank everyone who posted answers to my questions.

I tried searching the posts, but can't find exactly an answer to this:

How is a full power off done? From what I learned i am supposed to hold the end call key for a little, and the the phone turns off. Alternatively, there is a Turn power off application in the menu.

However, Once I did that, I turned the phone around and removed the battery cover, and took off the battery. Putting the battery and the cover back in, I was surprsed the phone turned on by itself and started to boot.

Is this normal? I would have expected nothing to happen. And that at the end I had to turn thr phone back on once I was ready. Kid of like what happens with other phones.

This is my first blackberry

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Yes this is normal, when ever you put the battery in the phone will turn on. If you are pulling the battery to clear memory, you actually want to pull the battery with the phone on.
    And yes to turn the phone of you just hold the end call key. Or you can set the Auto On/Off to do it at times you want it off, Over night for example, you can interupt the time off by just turning it back on. Or you can turn it off early. It will still come on at the time set.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by pda.teck View Post
    If you are pulling the battery to clear memory, you actually want to pull the battery with the phone on.

There are different opinions on this, I've seen many posts by mods saying that a battery pull with the power on should only be a last resort.

I always monitor my File Free status, when it gets down to 13-14 mb I power off first, then do a battery pull and regain my memory.....get it back up to 20 mb. I've never done a battery pull with the power on, even if my bb acts funny, a power down then battery pull has always fixed it.....

I'm not saying anyone is wrong, just that there are many opinions, here's mine
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

thestewside no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256C11B1
    WWW.geekandproud.net/blackberry-software/
    This site has a great free program that I use called Soft Reset. Resets the phone like you pulled the battery with out, pulling the battery.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    To turn the phone completely OFF, choose the Turn Full Power Off option when clicking on the Turn Power Off icon.

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    ^^^s/he meant "without actually pulling the battery"

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Does a full power off do the same thing as a battery pull or soft reset program?

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    To turn the phone completely OFF, choose the Turn Full Power Off option when clicking on the Turn Power Off icon.

thestewside no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256C11B1
    As far as I know it is the same. When I install a program and it says restart phone, I use the soft reset and I am good to go.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
    Does a full power off do the same thing as a battery pull or soft reset program?

No turning the power off is not the same.......I highly recommend the soft reset program.......but I do still do a battery pull on occasion(power off first)
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Djmarbll no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219C9716
    Doing a battery and sim card pull without turning the device off is the best restart option I've known. It should only be a last resort though, since a soft reset (ALT-CAP-DEL on the qwerty devices) usually does a decent restart.

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Thanks. I do use the soft reset program. I sometimes do a soft power off when I lose EDGE when surfing the internet, takes me off the network and then back on. Almost the same thing as turning the wireless off.

Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    No turning the power off is not the same.......I highly recommend the soft reset program.......but I do still do a battery pull on occasion(power off first)

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    I never pull the battery with the phone on. I've always kind of looked at it like cutting the power to a computer while it's on. Not good. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but that's just my thoughts...

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoUp View Post
    I never pull the battery with the phone on. I've always kind of looked at it like cutting the power to a computer while it's on. Not good. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but that's just my thoughts...
    I totally agree here and per RIM's recommendation we are advised to never recommend a battery pull without powering down device first.
    The only case where you would have to pull the battery with the power on would be if you had a frozen device and had no choice as a last resort, but otherwise the proper procedure would be to:

Press and hold down power key for 30 seconds until device is completely powered down.
    THEN remove battery - keep out for at least 30 seconds.
    Replace battery.

I also highly recommend the app "Soft Reset" and use this all the time in lieu of a battery pull. Works great and is a safe alternative with the same results.