I went on wifi with my flip and it said uma and I just wonder ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

mac14x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    217a1629

whats _UMA?

Advertisement

I went on wifi with my flip and it said uma and I just wonder what the heck it is
    ~90 people get the swine flu and everyone is wearing face masks. Millions of people have AIDS but no one wears condoms...

greenandgold52 no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~UMA is what the phone uses to make phone calls over the wifi network.

mikedoan no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandgold52 View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~UMA is what the phone uses to make phone calls over the wifi network.
    This has prob been asked before, but what, apart from the handset, detirmines whether or not UMA is able to be used (network???)... Is the Bold UMA enabled????

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    mikedoan, no, the Bold isn't capable of UMA. The chipset in the phone must support it (the Bold doesn't). The carrier must have UMA setup in their network and push the services to the BlackBerry to enable it. In North America, I know both T-Mobile and Rogers have UMA capabilities on their network.

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    UMA is unlicensed mobile access. I dont know about the rules of posting a wikipedia article to this thread, but if you refer to the 'unlicensed mobile access' query on wiki, you'll get a pretty good description.

For those who want a quick answer, it a technology that allows supposed seamless hand-off integration of WiFi and GSM to make phone calls.

mikedoan no está en línea Stack level 3
    cool, thanks for that

galavanter no está en línea Stack level 3
    UMA is what made me return my iPhone, sign on with T-mo, and get my first BB.

Like many, I have little to no reception in my apartment. With UMA, it is like a land line in my home for $10.00 a month with unlimited calling. I'm a fan. I'm always telling my neighbors when I spot them outside in the alley making calls because they too have no reception inside.

After a few hiccups in the beginning, it has been working flawlessly, but of course is dependent on your internet provider's connection. When Time Warner goes down, I'm back in the alley too, but this has only affected me maybe twice in close to a year, and for short periods only.
    Last edited by galavanter; 10-19-2008 at 11:14 AM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridicule View Post
    mikedoan, no, the Bold isn't capable of UMA. The chipset in the phone must support it (the Bold doesn't). The carrier must have UMA setup in their network and push the services to the BlackBerry to enable it. In North America, I know both T-Mobile and Rogers have UMA capabilities on their network.

The Bold has WiFi. From http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices...d_features.jsp,

"Simple and straightforward. Lower your cellular costs and get service in areas where cellular network coverage may be limited or unavailable, with BlackBerry data services over Wi-Fi® networks.5"

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Check out my post, it's number six HERE