Results 1 to 15 of 15

... before the famous and very hated memory dump. I find myself checking the 'File ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

  1. #1
    Dvl636_BB's Avatar
    Dvl636_BB no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    PIN/ID
    PM me ;)
    Posts
    116

    What's the 8100's critical 'File Free' level...

    Advertisement



    ... before the famous and very hated memory dump. I find myself checking the 'File Free' space at least once an hour,it's like an illness.
    I worry most when I'm nearing 10MB but have caught the level at just over 9.
    Then I immediately do a 'Clear Log' and pull the juice.
    Is 9 or 10MB critical or still kinda safe?

    Where do other 8100 owners sit most of the time as far as free mem? And at what level do you do a pull? Thanks!

    ~via BB: 8100: Red (wap.pinstack.com)~

  2. #2
    Capdot's Avatar
    Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,958
    After a battery pull I have 27mb free and t will dwindle to about 21 to 20mb for a few days then when it hits round 19mb I do a battery pull.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  3. #3
    Dvl636_BB's Avatar
    Dvl636_BB no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    PIN/ID
    PM me ;)
    Posts
    116
    Hmmmmm...... On an 8100? What version are you running? I'm on 4.2.1.107

    ~via BB: 8100: Red (wap.pinstack.com)~

  4. #4
    Capdot's Avatar
    Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvl636_BB View Post
    Hmmmmm...... On an 8100? What version are you running? I'm on 4.2.1.107

    ~via BB: 8100: Red (wap.pinstack.com)~


    Im running 4.5.0.55.
    I have also taken all the other languages off my device and only have 3 3rd party applications on it too.

  5. #5
    Z.SmithPearl's Avatar
    Z.SmithPearl no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    20

    Critical memory level

    By design, you won't usually see much difference besides a little slowness or hourglassing until you hit 400,000 bytes or .4MB. At that point, your messages and call logs will clear and continue to do so until you free up more space.

  6. #6
    Dvl636_BB's Avatar
    Dvl636_BB no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    PIN/ID
    PM me ;)
    Posts
    116
    Oh wow 4 megs. Ok. I can sleep better now hehe When I got my BB 9 months ago I read somewhere that its good to use the auto on/off option every night. Like have it turn off @ 4:00am or something & restart @ 4:01am. Now that I know more about BBs I really don't see how that might be useful for freeing mem. or for anything else.
    Does anyone use this feature 5 days or 7 days a week?

    ~via BB: 8100: Red (wap.pinstack.com)~

  7. #7
    kingrykku27's Avatar
    kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    Posts
    568
    No, I just kill the reception at night, pull the battery every 4 or 5 days. 34MB after a pull

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  8. #8
    Dvl636_BB's Avatar
    Dvl636_BB no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    PIN/ID
    PM me ;)
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrykku27 View Post
    No, I just kill the reception at night, pull the battery every 4 or 5 days. 34MB after a pull

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Man that's nuts! That's over 50% of the total mem. What ver are u on? And it is an 8100 right?

    ~via BB: 8100: Red (wap.pinstack.com)~

  9. #9
    catstide's Avatar
    catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    May 2008
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Posts
    6,673
    i pull at least once a day.my max is around 17 or 18 and it drains to 5 or 6 throughout the day.

  10. #10
    jonnyxedge's Avatar
    jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    Posts
    3,945
    as long as you have more than about 347 kbs free you are okay. i usually wait until my device is down to about 20-3mbs left before i do a battery pull
    The BlackBerry Guru

    [x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

  11. #11
    Dvl636_BB's Avatar
    Dvl636_BB no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    PIN/ID
    PM me ;)
    Posts
    116
    At 2 or 3MBs u didn't lose any txts/emails or call log? No kiddin'...

    ~via BB: 8100: Red (wap.pinstack.com)~

  12. #12
    jonnyxedge's Avatar
    jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    Posts
    3,945
    Nope not at all
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  13. #13
    RogerG's Avatar
    RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Z.SmithPearl View Post
    By design, you won't usually see much difference besides a little slowness or hourglassing until you hit 400,000 bytes or .4MB. At that point, your messages and call logs will clear and continue to do so until you free up more space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvl636_BB View Post
    Oh wow 4 megs. Ok. I can sleep better now hehe When I got my BB 9 months ago I read somewhere that its good to use the auto on/off option every night. Like have it turn off @ 4:00am or something & restart @ 4:01am. Now that I know more about BBs I really don't see how that might be useful for freeing mem. or for anything else.
    Does anyone use this feature 5 days or 7 days a week?

    ~via BB: 8100: Red (wap.pinstack.com)~
    That's POINT FOUR mb or 400kb, not 4mb.

    I have my device set to turn off at 11pm and power up again at 6am 7 days a week.

  14. #14
    Dvl636_BB's Avatar
    Dvl636_BB no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    PIN/ID
    PM me ;)
    Posts
    116
    Missed the "."
    And figured he missed a zero which would make it 4MB but didn't want to question. My bad. Got it now.

    ~via BB: 8100: Red (wap.pinstack.com)~

  15. #15
    kingrykku27's Avatar
    kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvl636_BB View Post
    Man that's nuts! That's over 50% of the total mem. What ver are u on? And it is an 8100 right?

    ~via BB: 8100: Red (wap.pinstack.com)~
    33529092 Bytes
    4.2.1.96
    8100c

    SUP

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •