BB n00b, here. I'll try to explain something that is totally confusing to me. Just ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Yogich no está en línea Stack level 3

What is "RIM_bca28a80-e9c0-11d1-87fe-00600811c6a"

Advertisement

BB n00b, here. I'll try to explain something that is totally confusing to me.

Just took possession of a Dell notebook. When I started installing the RIM desktop software, I suddenly saw something about e-mail setup and realized that Outlook was installed. I actually didn't quite know what to do, so I just went with defaults, as much as possible.

What I need is a great How-to (not just a mediocre one, I'm afraid), so I can figure out what I have to do. I have read the Help files in the desktop manager and can tell you that I am not hooked up to any Exchange server. There is no BES... just a humble home machine.

I have my e-mail already being forwarded, since I set that up using the BB. I am guessing I don't need anything but the synching but now I cannot turn the e-mail stuff OFF. I keep getting the warning to regenerate a key, even though I have it set for manual.

To make things even more interersting, I am getting lots of messages that say, "RIM_bca28a80-e9c0-11d1-87fe-00600811c6a" as the 'Subject' and there is no 'From'. In the body, they all say, "This message is used to carry data between the BlackBerry Redirector and BlackBerry Handheld. Please do not delete, move or respond to this message - it will be processed by the BlackBerry Redirector." There is an attachment, named "etp.dat" which is approximately 35 bytes in size.

I also got an error message when attempting to load Outlook which says, in short: "The computer does not know its message account address." Apparently the redirector is not working, because the stats are blank, and there is no PIN.

Finally, I am using the tethered BB for the modem, and while I am connected I am getting all this supposed garbage.

Frankly, I don't know what I'm doing, or what is going on ...which should be abundantly obvious. lol

HELP!!!!
    ...Yogich

jestar15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    400DD044

Re: What is "RIM_bca28a80-e9c0-11d1-87fe-00600811c6a"

As far as the strange emails you're getting, they are called flycatchers. What's happening is that DTM thinks that you're trying to use Outllok as the default email client and it's pushed 'Desktop' service books to your BB. If delete these service books and uninstal the DTM, or just modify it, via Control Panel and select the Blackberry Internet Srvice, it will get rid of the Redirector Settings icon and you shouldn't receive anymore flycatchers. The encryption message is becasue DTM is trying to tie your email address to Outlook, but this only works with a coporate email server. Not sure about the 'garbage' concern, not enough info. Hope this helps a little.

Thank you for the explanation. I am not certain just how I managed to get into that pickle, or I would have been able to figure out how to get out of it.

I have a question regarding the DTM... how does one modify it so that this is straightened out? I took a look in Control Panel and all I saw was an icon called, 'Mail' ...and I made certain that 'Exchange' was the server and I deleted the e-mail account I had entered, there. (Guess I got confused and thought I was being asked for that as concerns Outlook.) The fact is, I was planning to use Outlook as my primary e-mail server. I just have it set up w/my carrier to have everything pushed to the BB.

My only concern w/the 'garbage' was that somehow my using tethered BB for modem might have been connected. Guess I didn't explain that one very well. I found out, this morning, that it probably isn't connected... I got roughly 15 more of those 'flycatcher' e-mails, as you call them, this morning, when I turned the BB on. I decided to block them at the ISP's firewall until I can get it properly fixed.

Oh! ...And I DID delete two service books called 'Desktop' ...and I hope they are the only ones.

One last question: what is this, besides being the 'From' address in this morning's e-mails? 'network@etp1105.etp.na.blackberry.net'

Thanks a lot.

"The more they over-think the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." --Scotty
    Last edited by Yogich; 07-07-2007 at 11:10 AM.
    ...Yogich

PIN/ID
    400DD044

Yogich

In order to modify the Desktop Manager, you'll need to go to Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programs, once the list has been populated. You'll see Blackberry DTM. Highlight DTM and click Change/Remove, you may 2 more BB apps here, just select Desktop Manager. This will probably start the 'Installshield' and it will give you an option to Modify. From here you'll see 2 options regarding email 'Blackberry Enterprise Server or Desktop Redirector' and 'Blackberry Internet Service' you want to choose the Internet Service option. After that it will just be the default options until the install is complete. Double check the BB to make sure the Desktop service books aren't back, they are usually pushed every time you connect. Once the DTM has been modified and the Desktop service books have been deleted from the BB, you shouldn't receive anymore flycatchers.

About the flycatchers, these are emails that are sent from the BB to your Inbox for either Enterprise Activation (on a BES) or to give you the ability to send/receive using the Desktop Redirector. The latter would only work if you had Outlook, connected to a corp mail server, and the Desktop Redirector both running constantly, you shouldn't need to worry about either. The attachment that comes in the email contains the PIN for the BB and your email address, the Desktop service books would decrypt and decompress the info for sending or delivery of email.

Now, for the changes that you made to Outlook in 'Mail', I would change thgings back to the way you had them, you can't be using Exchange unless you're hosting it yourself or that PC/laptop is connected to a corporate environment by LAN or VPN.

Let me know how it goes.

Many thanks for the concise explanation, Jestar15. I am like a fish out of water on MS XP... I'm used to Kubuntu Linux. lol When I got the BB I discovered a severe lack of support on Linux ...surprise, surprise. (I have been using Linux for several years, though I find myself on XP, once in a great while ...until I got this [retired] notebook from the business my brother runs.)

I finally discovered what I did wrong, thanks to your explanation. I had enabled 'Certificate Syncronization' which I mistook to mean that I would not have to muck around with going after my service books if I had a problem and had to restore the OS, as I had to do a couple times, already. I was blissfully unaware of the consequences.

Speaking of 'hosting your own' ...as you mentioned in your post: That is something I have always been interested in doing. My brother also has a BB (8800) and I was thinking along the lines of an experimental hosting exercise if it is something my somewhat limited knowledge can handle. Can you point me to some good resources, or do you know anything more about that?

Thanks, again, for all your help!! I think I finally got things back to some semblance of normal. lol
    ...Yogich

PIN/ID
    400DD044

Sorry Yogich,

I'm relatively familiar with the Blackberry and the basic idea behind Exchange; however, I amd probably not the best guy to ask about hosting an Exchange server. I can tell you that if you decided to host one yourself RIM does offer several different levels of BES. I believe that you contact them directly, from their site, or ask the business sales department with your carrier.

Hope the flycatcher issue has been taken care of, have a good day.

Thank you for the advice. As for the flycatchers... they've flown to coop. Thanks for all your help.
    ...Yogich

PIN/ID
    400DD044

No problem, enjoy the rest of your flycatcher free week.