I have never attempted to use any other OS on my Pearl. I am with ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Mach no está en línea Stack level 1

What os?

Advertisement

I have never attempted to use any other OS on my Pearl. I am with t-mobile USA and running v 4.2.0.64. SHould I be using another OS? If so what, why, and how do I upgrade.

Thanks,
    Adam

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: What os?

You are running the most current OS available from T-Mobile. However, there are more current versions available. Check this post for the latest releases.

If you're on a BES, don't attempt this unless you can install Desktop Manager on a computer with a connection to your mail server and set it up properly. You really should consult your IT department about it rather than just doing it on your own if you are on a BES.

You'll need to install Desktop Manager (get it here) - I recommend English 4.2 SP1 rather than SP2. Not only is it nearly 200 MB smaller, but SP2 includes Roxio Media Manager which I feel is not only overkill for managing a 2 gig SD card, but it's also generally intrusive.

Anyway, install Desktop Manager, and then install the OS on your computer, and then the OS. After you've installed the OS, rename the file "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Vendor.xml" to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Vendor.xm$" (or just be a brute and delete it!).

Now run Desktop Manager and plug in your BlackBerry. Desktop Manager should automatically ask if you want to upgrade your device. Simply follow the wizard. Your device will automatically be backed up, upgraded, and restored.

I can't say exactly what 4.2.1 adds to 4.2.0, but I do know that there are some additional features that are nice. I think one of them is the ability to attach any file stored on your SD card to an email.

Good luck!
    JerryD

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I've upgraded my OS from what came on the Pearl mainly for the new features. I never found a lot of bugs with any of them.

The features I like that I didn't have before upgrade are:
    1. Separate SMS and email boxes.
    2. Faster SD card access.
    3. Overall faster performance.

There have been other benefits as well but it's early. You don't have to upgrade if you don't want to.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

wabashtw0 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

how did you get seperate SMS and email boxes? I just upgraded to the 4.2.1.101 release, and my emails still show up in the "messages" application along with my sms, and mms.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I have also had very positive results upgrading. I am currently on at&t .96 and pretty pleased with it. My experience with it has been overall faster performance, smoother transitions and better stability.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by wabashtw0
    how did you get seperate SMS and email boxes? I just upgraded to the 4.2.1.101 release, and my emails still show up in the "messages" application along with my sms, and mms.
    It's under Messages --> Options --> General Options.

See details here: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._searches.html
    JerryD

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    Quote Originally Posted by wabashtw0
    If you want your messages separated, go to your messages folder. Scroll to the top and click the menu button. Select options general options. At the bottom you will see "sms and email inboxes" the default setting is "theme controlled" change it to "seperate"

shimataro no está en línea Stack level 1

I too am on t-mobile with their myfaves plan. If I upgrade to a generic O.S., i.e. not from T-mobile, will I lose the myfaves functionality? Thanks.