View Poll Results: What OS To Upgrade To?

Voters
106. Register free to vote on this poll
  • TMo (Italy) OS 4.2.1.66

9 8.49%
  • Telefonica 4.2.0.79

2 1.89%
  • Rogers 4.2.1.94

80 75.47%
  • Other (not sure if there are others)

15 14.15%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ok Stackers... I have had my Pearl since last October. It came with OS 4.2.0.42 ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

tecrishon no está en línea Device Expert
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Question What New OS To Upgrade To?

Advertisement

Ok Stackers...

I have had my Pearl since last October. It came with OS 4.2.0.42 and I have yet to upgrade. I don't like to mess with major things like that if they are still working for me. But, I've decided it's probably about time. I still have the answer delay that everyone complained about, and I'm sure there are a lot of other nice upgrades in the new OS's since.

NOW...what OS should I upgrade to?

I know there has been:
    (a) TMo Italy OS 4.2.1.66
    (b) Telefonica 4.2.0.79
    (c) Rogers 4.2.1.94
    (d) Others? (not sure if there are)

I have T-Mobile and MyFav's if either matters. I really (REALLY) like TMO Zen Theme with the 5 Icons at the bottom of the main screen, and then the list of the other applications when I want to the look at them. I have custom rings, and plenty of applications. Will a new OS change any of this?

I just want some input from all of you, since I know a lot of you jump on the brand new OS's when they are released. I would love to hear the experience with each and which you prefer and why...and if any of the major things change that I may not want to "learn" to live with.

THANKS FOR THE HELP! (i'm sure this will help out other stackers besides me )

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: What New OS To Upgrade To?

well I would say try them all and see what works best for you, since everyone here has different outcomes to certain issues (some have call issues, while others do not...etc)
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I have had all 3 OS's (currently using Rogers' OS now).

I have also had problems with 2 of them.

A) TMO Italy...This one crashed my first Pearl and I had to replace it. It also caused my Pearls to start throwing Uncaught Exception errors typing links in BB Messenger.

B) Telefonica...I loved this OS on my 2nd Pearl. I had no problems with this one whatsoever.

C) Rogers. I upgraded my 2nd Pearl to this one the other night. Be prepared to be keep yourself busy for TWO hours. I was surprised at this one because it normally takes 30 minutes to upgrade.

Problems (which some may experience and some may not):

1) JiveTalk decided to throw errors when I would attempt to log in or enter my user info for my accounts.

2) Another Uncaught Exception error was thrown when I went to set the preferences.

3) The BB Messenger link Uncaught Exception error (from the TIM Italy OS) resurfaced.

4) Desktop Manager wouldn't recognize the Pearl at all.

In order to solve # 1 & 2 I had to reinstall JiveTalk. Numbers 3 & 4 were solved with an upgrade of the Desktop Manager.

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    Problems (which some may experience and some may not):

1) JiveTalk decided to throw errors when I would attempt to log in or enter my user info for my accounts.

2) Another Uncaught Exception error was thrown when I went to set the preferences.

3) The BB Messenger link Uncaught Exception error (from the TIM Italy OS) resurfaced.

4) Desktop Manager wouldn't recognize the Pearl at all.

In order to solve # 1 & 2 I had to reinstall JiveTalk. Numbers 3 & 4 were solved with an upgrade of the Desktop Manager.
    Very strange I have not had any of them... but even more odd is that upgrading your DM fixed #3. The one bug I've had (twice now) is that 2 contacts will just merge together as ONE contact in BBM so I don't know who they are. BBM will say 4/4 contacts and there are only 3 listed because 2 of them are now combined. Delete that one and it goes to 2/2 contacts LOL.

gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7

For me cingular's 0.73 is the best. I downgraded from 1.94 because I didn't like it. It has some call glitch, droping calls and some static. Although it has a new look for the calculator and some more options, more smileys. But nothing to die for.
    Overall .73 is the best 4 me.
    B)

blingladen no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21C6496F

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ upgrded my 8700 to Bharti OS 4.2. Runs smooth but I don't see any difference to Venezuela. Never tried Chinese OS.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

first things first...since i <3 themes you will lose the tmo zen theme you love so much if you upgrade to the 1.66 or 1.94 (the list becomes icons)...but i've read somewhere that you might be able to get the tmo zen back (i think krad posted it)

i stayed on the same OS that you are on FOREVER! i upgraded way back when and lost the 'auto dim' ability and hated it. now that im used to it, i actually keep it on (and i was one of those people that hated it)

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

I agree with Cherri. You do lose your list, but I've come to accept the icons and have started to like them. It shows more applications. It's 5x4 = 20 when you hit the menu. In the list style I think it only showed like 6. It takes a bit of getting use to, but I throughly enjoy now.

I also was one that 'hated' the loss of the auto-dim option, yet just like cherri I keep it on still to this day. I find it saves my battery. If you actually think about it, it's a pretty smart option.

The last OS I was on was Cingular/AT&T .73. It served me very well. Very stable and I found no problems with it. You can take baby steps. .73 still included the LIST TMO Zen theme and it was very stable. If you don't care for it, then you can jump up to Rogers. I would not recommed the others, since they are pretty buggy. If anything goes wrong you can always downgrade too.

Hope this helps.

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

I've used the Italy and Rogers as well as the base Cingular. I currently have the Rogers and haven't noticed any issues with it.. I did have a few quircky things with the Italy one (hard reset in dialing mode, erased '1' optionf or voicemail...) I'd go with the Rogers - those Canadiens have it figured out!

As for Erica's issue - my upgrade didn't take 2 hours.. I did run into a problem (my own doing I think) and needed to restore from backup and then re-apply, but even then it took about 45 minutes..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

tj2311111 Guest

Upgraded to the Rogers 4.2.1.94 awhile ago and havent noticed any problems at all. Never used the other OS's so I will not comment on those. But I find the Rogers one to be very stable so far and the most reliable. Also it didnt take me 2 hours to upgrade like EricaJ1073 experienced, took me more like 40 minutes at most.

Haider no está en línea Stack level 3

Upgrading was a breeze. I have the TMO Italy/Telstra 66 on one Pearl and its good....so far no problems. I keep my fingers crossed. Cherri I really like the TMO Zen theme too and I would prefer the list over the icons....wonder how to get the list back?

wassona no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2439fbe3

I'm running 1.94 right now and I haven't had any problems. I don't remember it taking two hours to upgrade though. And on all the OS's Ive had one reoccurring problem, my Motorola headset drops all the time. But im thinking its a Motorola thing.

adelina no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo
    first things first...since i <3 themes you will lose the tmo zen theme you love so much if you upgrade to the 1.66 or 1.94 (the list becomes icons)...but i've read somewhere that you might be able to get the tmo zen back (i think krad posted it)

i stayed on the same OS that you are on FOREVER! i upgraded way back when and lost the 'auto dim' ability and hated it. now that im used to it, i actually keep it on (and i was one of those people that hated it)
    i'm using 1.94 and I still the TMO Zen theme.... Actually I have two. I don't use them so i'm not sure if they were there before I upgraded or not...

schmunger no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317d7c77

Upgraded to Rogers last Wednesday, so far, so good. I hated Italy, many problems :

- Dead air calls
    - Opening up media file lag
    - Opera Mini and other 3rd party apps did not work
    - Java errors

I had to do at least one battery pull everyday. Downloaded SoftReset but that took forever to reset so I stuck with the battery pull. It seemed like the more I pull the battery, more issues were to arise. Had to get a 2nd pearl and the OS gave me the same problems after 3 days of use. Crossing my fingers that this is the OS to keep for awhile until T-Mobile releases their version of an upgrade.

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

the only bugs I have are with the BBM - like I said above it combined 2 people on me as 1 contact, but also when I play with the voicenotes in it, sometimes it will crash BBM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast