I pretty much feel dumb as a rock. 1. i don't know what it is. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

orithoughtso no está en línea Stack level 1

What exactly is "OS"?

Advertisement

I pretty much feel dumb as a rock.
    1. i don't know what it is.
    2. I don't know why its used
    3. i don't know what it does.
    ha any help?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Re: What exactly is "OS"?

Quote Originally Posted by orithoughtso View Post
    I pretty much feel dumb as a rock.
    1. i don't know what it is.
    2. I don't know why its used
    3. i don't know what it does.
    ha any help?
    Don't feel dumb since you were intelligent enough to ask.

1. OS stands for Operating System. It is the software that tells something how it is supposed to work once the power button is pressed. Every electronic device that uses software has one in one form or another. Some (like Blackberries and computers) can be upgraded by the user when the writer's of the software come out with updates. Others (such as cars) can only be done by an authorized technician.

Zo

orithoughtso no está en línea Stack level 1

& should i upgrade my current "OS"?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Sorry about the lack of a complete response, had to go help customers.

2. The OS basically is the brains of the unit telling it what it is supposed to do and how to do it.

3. See 1 and 2.

As for whether you should upgrade your current OS, that depends on the situation. Upgrading a BB is a relatively simple process with steps that are simple to overlook but end up being very important to the process. The first thing you need to do is to check what OS you currently have on the unit. To find out, go to options-about and look on the first screen that pops up. The important section will be the third line that says v4.2.X.XXX, that is your version number. Once you know that you can go to your carrier's website and see if there is a newer version.

If there is a newer version you will need to download it and run the program on your computer. You will also need to make sure you have Desktop Manager already installed first, if not you can get it usually from the same location you get your OS from. Install Desktop Manager (aka DM) first, then install the OS you downloaded. Once it is installed it will ask you if you want to run DM. Once DM has started up you can connect your phone to your computer and it will walk you through the process to upgrade your software.

If there is not a newer version it is still recommended to download and install per the instructions above. Some items you will add to your BB in the future (such as Themes) need an OS installed on your computer to be able to install into the phone.

Zo
    Last edited by Amigotek; 02-29-2008 at 09:37 PM.