What does it mean?... BlackBerry Pearl forum

A_New_Beginning no está en línea Stack level 1

What does Tethering mean?

What does it mean?

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: What does Tethering mean?

Here you go

The first definition of tethering refers to using a cell phone as a modem for your laptop or PDA. Creating a connection either with cables or wirelessly "tethers" your cell phone to your other mobile device. When reading User Agreements for cell phone service providers make sure to pay attention if the Agreement prohibits the use of "tethering your cell phone" or using your cell phone in a "tethered capacity". If you do not have a cell phone service package that allows you to use your cell phone as a modem you could be in violation of your User Agreement and lose your service. You may also find that you have incredibly high bills for your connection time.

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

pretty much in a nut shell is that your using your phones data plan as modem for your laptop via USB cable.

supamansimon no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304feb1f

Hopes this helps..... I found it on About.com

In relation to cell phone use, tethering has two definitions and both can apply to mobile professionals' use of their cell phone.
    1. The first definition of tethering refers to using a cell phone as a modem for your laptop or PDA. Creating a connection either with cables or wirelessly "tethers" your cell phone to your other mobile device.
      When reading User Agreements for cell phone service providers make sure to pay attention if the Agreement prohibits the use of "tethering your cell phone" or using your cell phone in a "tethered capacity". If you do not have a cell phone service package that allows you to use your cell phone as a modem you could be in violation of your User Agreement and lose your service. You may also find that you have incredibly high bills for your connection time.
    2. The second definition of tethering for cell phones refers to using a safety strap or lanyard to keep your cell phone securely connected to you or your laptop case.
      Safety tethers can be made from a variety of materials and many have retractable cords which means you don't have to disconnect the cell phone from the tether in order to use it. For those who like to keep their cell phone handy but worry that a belt clip or pouch is not going to be secure enough, a cell phone tether is a wise solution

-------
    lol thanks beeshabo looks like you beat me to it!! lol
    Last edited by supamansimon; 01-22-2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Automerged.

hahaha.....Supamansimon!!

ME TOO......

A_New_Beginning no está en línea Stack level 1

Still confused.

I have Verizon and was told by the rep that I have to pay an additional $20 for unlimited internet and email usage. I agreed to it, and I used my internet everyday via my phone. Does this mean it's tethering?

No......

What I "think" it means.....(someone correct me if I'm wrong), is connecting your cell phone to you PC via Tether to use the internet connection off your phone to view on your PC

And like I said...I THINK (I may be wrong, kinda sounds wrong to be honest)

Go this from Wiki....

Tethering turns you phone into a MODEM

supamansimon no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304feb1f

Yeah if your using your phone as a tethered modem that means your using your phone as a modem to connect to the internet on your pc. Your not tethering unless your usb plug is connected to the pc and your on the internet~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~there you go! I was close