I did a search and read some of the posts on memory leak, but I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4

What causes memory leak?

Advertisement

I did a search and read some of the posts on memory leak, but I don't fully understand it. It appears that I get a slight memory leak everyday. I deleted all the unwanted languages and other apps that I do not use. The extra apps that I am using are Google Maps, Microhill Stock viewer and Magmic Blackjack Highroller game. I make sure I close apps when I am finished with them (escape out of them and do an alt/escape to make sure nothing else is running). I also delete my internet cache out everyday. I do get the hour glass once in a while when navigating through apps and when surfing the net sometimes. So, what exactly causes memory leak and how can it be fixed? Overall, I am happy with my Pearl and it's performance, but I think the performance could be more opitmal on my device. Maybe?

DeadHead613 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: What causes memory leak?

Memory leaks are caused when a programmer allocates space in memory for something (usually a table or array) and then never deallocates the space (tells the operating system that the program does not need that space any more). Each time that specific function runs, it allocates a little piece of memeory, and then does not free it. Over time this can use up a lot of the system's memory. This is caused a memory leak because the program is "leaking" memory everytime it runs.

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3

If anyone has IM+ or wants to try it out it sucks up your memory and doesnt release it.

I just started using about a week back, and that is the only new program I added and I can lose 5-10 megs memory in 1-2 day period.

When not running it a slight loss like everyone else that adds up over time but when using it 5-10 megs loss in about 2 days.

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by DeadHead613
    Memory leaks are caused when a programmer allocates space in memory for something (usually a table or array) and then never deallocates the space (tells the operating system that the program does not need that space any more). Each time that specific function runs, it allocates a little piece of memeory, and then does not free it. Over time this can use up a lot of the system's memory. This is caused a memory leak because the program is "leaking" memory everytime it runs.
    So when you pull the battery and the "file free" total goes up I assume the space allocated goes away. This is the best explanation I've heard yet. Thanks
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.