This was taken from BlackBerryCool.com website http://www.blackberrycool.com/2007/05/08/004378/ Haven’t been posting as much as I’d like, ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

mayt0pak no está en línea Stack level 2

WES 2007 Rumors: The Next-Gen Pearl

Advertisement

This was taken from BlackBerryCool.com website

http://www.blackberrycool.com/2007/05/08/004378/

Haven’t been posting as much as I’d like, but that’s because I had to dig deep for this dirt on the next-gen BlackBerry Pearl. That’s right, Pearl 2.0.
    Now, obviously RIM always has something in the works for new devices, and with the Pearl being a runaway quasi-consumer success, it makes sense for them to be looking to eventually upgrade the device, especially considering that the BlackBerry 8300 trumps the Pearl’s much vaunted multimedia features. So here’s what we’ve learned…

One thing for sure that RIM is considering in the next Pearl is GPS, something that will excite some BlackBerry Cool readers, but not necessarily the general public. From what I’ve heard, the major contention lies in data charges: the average consumer already has a hard enough time justifying the cost of a BlackBerry due to expensive monthly bills — adding GPS (and the resulting Google/BlackBerry Maps images) would likely be enough to push consumers past the “unlimited data” limit of most carriers (25Mb on Rogers, for example), and cause their bills to skyrocket. It appears as though RIM is taking this concern to heart, with GPS coming on and off the table for Pearl 2.0 development almost on a daily basis. RIM’s argument seems to be: why put in a feature into our consumer device that not that many will use, and could turn users away with added costs, when we could just improve its multimedia features — the stuff most consumers actually care about?
    The second rumor we’ve heard refers to how advanced the device will be. All reports seem to indicate that Pearl 2.0 will be a 9xxx device, with it most likely being a 9100. Now, this doesn’t mean that we won’t see minor feature improvements on the 8100 (like an 8130 upgrade with maybe a 2.0 Mpx camera, for example), but the next “true” Pearl will roll 9000 stylez.
    This means a couple of things. The 9xxx Pearl will be significantly thinner than the current model, if we can believe Boy Genius (which we can). It also means that, for the first time in awhile, we’ll get a resolution upgrade to the screen. Jibi told us that the 9900 device will feature a resolution of 384×288, which means that it’s not the Pearl (the screen ratio doesn’t match up with the current Pearl or any of the other x1xx BlackBerrys, so I’d be hard pressed to believe that they’d change it now), but does make it very likely that the 9100 device would receive a screen bump as well (especially if they’re looking to significantly upgrade the Pearl’s multimedia capabilities).
    That’s all I have for now, but it does send tingles down this Pearl user’s spine. Maybe I won’t have to switch to an 8300 after all — that is, if the 9100 can make it out by the end of the year (not likely).

howdini no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23EBDAC5

Re: WES 2007 Rumors: The Next-Gen Pearl

You're quickly & efficiently turning me into a materialist...!

angeleyes no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2404A818

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~saweet!

ram100987 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DEA9F9

Sweet! Let's hope the price isn't outrageous w so many supposed improvement~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I can't wait for this to come out (this WILL be my next BB...Forget the 8800 now that I see this LMAO). When I looked at that picture the first time, I thought "That Pearl is ALREADY out!" LOL

Yclif no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2051259D

sing with me folks...

"I'm in Heaven...I'm in Heaven, and my heart beats so that I can hardly speak"

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

cool photoshop work

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

I want one!!

ram100987 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DEA9F9

GPS and video recording are the only features I can think of that the Pearl lacks. They've possibly got the GPS down... maybe they'll come to their senses before they release it and add video as well

DAT CUBAN DJ no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D5DD9

ehhh..i dont know if i like it too much..maybe if it had video capture...

MrGolf no está en línea Stack level 2

None of this is going to get me to buy one.

The major thing the pearl needs is more memory. I can't use a BlueTooth GPS receiver and my bluetooth headset at the same time with out significant slow down to both functions.

The 8100 is thin enough already, any thinner, and you're risking durability.

A better media player would be great. Maybe one that offers playlists.

And maybe the ability to take maps and load them onto a microSD card, rather than pulling them OTA would fantastic. I had an iPaq running iGuidance, and I was able to save detailed maps of every area of the United States onto a 1GB miniSD card for use with the GPS. I suppose that forcing users to get maps as needed OTA gets more people to pay for the BIS though, which is most likely why we won't see maps stored locally.

Screen resolution is a great thing, but the screen is already too small for this to matter.

Video is important now-a-days, but I don't see that listed.

Not very impressed, I'll keep my 8100.

baseballkyle no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me

hopefully they will work on the feel of the device. i hate the flimsy feel of the battery cover should be more substantial, as well as it should fit completely flush with the device (w/ ZERO give).

GPS is obviously the major hole in the 8100.

i want a 3+ megapixel camera and GPS before i upgrade....

Tylast no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by MrGolf
    The 8100 is thin enough already, any thinner, and you're risking durability.

And maybe the ability to take maps and load them onto a microSD card, rather than pulling them OTA would fantastic.
    - If the maps were still pulled OTA, but cached...that would be great.

- GPS is a must. Who always wants a static map? Just give an option to turn off the GPS.

- A faster processor is definitely needed to combat the slugishness of the OS.

- A photo editor (like the one that comes with the Symbian OS) would be right nice.