This may be old news to many of you, but I could not find an ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

mm1334 no está en línea Stack level 1

Weird Ringtone Anomaly (Help Me!)

Advertisement

This may be old news to many of you, but I could not find an answer to this problem here.
    On my BB Pearl I usually use the "Loud" profile which, under the profile settings, is set to have a particular ringtone for incoming calls. I also have contacts in my address book who are set to have custom ringtones. However, the custom ringtones will not work at any point - the ringtone is just always what's defined by the profile that's active. I've tried going to the profile menu and creating an exception that will tell the phone to not use the active profile for certain callers, and even used that same submenu to define custom ringtones for certain users. Even still, after making sure the exceptions were active, the phone will still only ring with the tone defined under the active profile. This is driving me insane, because I cannot figure out how to ever have different ringtones for different users. All I want is to use an mp3 from my memory card for my wife, and 2 or 3 other various tones for certain friends, and then have everything else ring the same. That should not be so hard, but I can't figure it out. Please help!

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Re: Weird Ringtone Anomaly (Help Me!)

try it this way: go to your address book. click on your contact you want the custom ring for and go to edit. then hit the menu button and go to add custom ringtone. then just go to your musica folder and choose that awesome mp3 youd like to use.

let me know how this works

actually reading your post again i see you already did that...
    Last edited by glehman85; 08-07-2007 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Automerged.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

MM, i dunno if this will help you at all, but I just created a new Profile. It maybe a pain in the butt the first time around but after it's created I've never had any issues with it defaulting to the orginal ringtones. Also assigning custom ringtones the first time has always worked for me.

It's kinda funny story on why I only use a custom profile. When I first got my pearl I had no idea on how to customize the ringtones so I ended up making a whole new profile. Actually never used the default ones. I've seen this issue time and time again...yet I have never had it happen to me. I'm hoping this helps a bit.

Good Luck.

NAVYPBALLER no está en línea Stack level 1

I have the same problem with my phone. How do you make another profile to use? Thank you for your help

PIN/ID
    STACK

Go to Profiles>Scroll down to Advanced..>Hit Menu>New Profile.

Oh and welcome to the stacks Navypballer.

Thank you that worked great. And thanks for all the help

Red dog. Do yo uknow how to work, the bb messanger? Always says pending and dont know what to do? Thank you

PIN/ID
    STACK

Yea, how are you adding the contacts?

This is the way I do it.

BB Messenger
    Menu>Scroll to add contact
    Scroll up to [Use Once] just highlight it for now.
    Hit menu>Request by PIN
    Input the PIN number

That usually does it for me, or are you requesting by email?

Still doesn't work

I tried creating a new profile already - That doesn't fix it either. I've designated the alternate ringtone in every way possible, but no matter what I do it will only use whatever tone I designate as the tone for the "Active Profile", rather be one of the presets or one that I have created. I'm growing increasingly tired of Blackberry's glitchy software and illogical interfaces that seem to have been created by somebody who only speaks English as a third language. The BB messenger function is a perfect example, the instructions do not make any damn since at all, and you have do something different than what is telling you to make it work. Even the BB experts at T-Mobile were blown away by that one.

One more thing

I'm relatively new to using a blackberry, so maybe one of you could answer this for me. Is there a website or phone number I can use to ask actual RIM employees about these issues - or at least point out the grotesque inconsistencies that they need to fix?

PIN/ID
    STACK

you may just want to update your OS. What one are you on now?

4.2.0.64 - The most current version according to T-Mobile.
    If there is a more current version please tell me where to get it, but I think this is it.
    I'm hoping there will be another one soon to fix the plethora of little issues with the Pearl,
    such as the missing pictures on MMS messages and the 2-4 second delay experienced when answering calls sometimes.

PIN/ID
    STACK

This is the most current one. http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...s_4_2_1_a.html

although i guess TMO is coming out with one on the 13th, thats the rumor. If you just want to wait for that.

Should I install that to see if it solves all my woes? Or am I going to need what t-mobile comes out with anyway and just end up doing this twice?

PIN/ID
    STACK

It's super easy. The only pain i have with installing new OSs is that i have to input all my registered codes for my applications that I have paid for. Also my shortcut program I have to redo all them but other than that its not a big deal.

An upgrade will solve most your woes, since .64 is pretty old.

If you need directions go here http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._mini_faq.html

and I think it's #14 if not there is a contents list.