Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi all... Does anybody know of an application that will display the current temp on ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ccostel no está en línea Stack level 3

Weather application question

Advertisement

Hi all...

Does anybody know of an application that will display the current temp on the desktop? I have bbweather .74, but it requires me to click on it to show me a new page displaying the information. I am looking for something that continually updates.
    Perhaps I don't have bbweather configured correctly?

Thanks in advance.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: Weather application question

You have it set up correctly. What you are asking for is called push weather content, and can be found by going to mobile.blackberry.com from your BB browser.

Subscribe to push content and you will see an icon on your homescreen.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the help. I have it working, but will probably not continue to use it. Both of the push weather offerings have a limited amount of cities. I live in Springfield, IL and the nearest city that accuweather offers is an hour away. The other service only offers Chicago when you search by just the state "IL". Too bad there isn't a way to have them add a place or search by zip code. The actual accuweather website has it. The push with accuweather was what I was looking for.

Thanks again.

Piratepete no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    jstask

Is there a way to access the mobile.blackberry.com from my computer.

anfrey no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    A5KME41T

Quote Originally Posted by Piratepete
    Is there a way to access the mobile.blackberry.com from my computer.
    don't think so

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by ccostel
    Hi all...

Does anybody know of an application that will display the current temp on the desktop? I have bbweather .74, but it requires me to click on it to show me a new page displaying the information. I am looking for something that continually updates.
    Perhaps I don't have bbweather configured correctly?

Thanks in advance.
    BB Weather continually updates. You just have to leave it open in the background.

tecrishon no está en línea Device Expert
    PIN/ID
    Retired

So I don't know why I don't know this, but can someone clarify about push...

I signed up for the accuweather for my city so it will show up on my desktop. It asked how many times a day I wanted updates - my options were 1 or 2. I chose 2. But I was under the impression that push constantly updated. Am I wrong? Will I only get the temp updated twice a day?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

PIN/ID
    STACK

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I don't use the push weather just for that fact it only updates 2 times a day. BB weather will constantly update if you leave it open in the background. I have it updating every hour.

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

Use BB weather, it's a lot better. As said, it updates more frequently. Keep the icon on your desktop and just open it.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by tgeekb
    Use BB weather, it's a lot better. As said, it updates more frequently. Keep the icon on your desktop and just open it.
    Yeah I know. I've been using bbweather for a couple months now. I was just checking out the options. Having the temp displayed on the desktop sounded interesting. One thing I don't like about bbweather is how you can't pick your preferred city. I have 4 cities listed (I'm on the highway a lot). But they list them alphabetically. So the city I live in isn't first, so I have to wait for it to load. Yeah, I know, its not a big deal - I just wish I could pick one city to bring up when I go into the program instead of the first alphabetically.

By the way, I signed up for the accuweather push service more than 24 hours ago, and I haven't got anything yet...? Where should I be seeing this?

PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by tecrishon
    By the way, I signed up for the accuweather push service more than 24 hours ago, and I haven't got anything yet...? Where should I be seeing this?
    I think there is 2 different options where it will show up.
    I may show up under Messages and a little Globe icon will pop up kinda like when you get an email.
    The other option is that it will show up as an icon if you have the TMO Zen theme listed somewhere in there when you hit the menu button on the home screen.

It was never really convenient, since if you selected it would bring up the browser, wait for it to load, and then it really didn't have enough information about the weather.

BBWeather all the way. Just my opinion though

PIN/ID
    Retired

It has since appeared where it was supposed to. And yeah, BBweather is better. Well, it was worth a try, I guess.

I just really wish BBweather would help me out with my problem. Not only can I not pick what city to come up first when I open it up, but now I have noticed that if I want to manually update the weather, I can't for a city that is not first alphabetically! I have to exit out of the program and get back into it, and then choose the city I want, and then it will finally be updated. Oh well...seems like my best choice out there.

Thanks for the help.

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4

tecrishon: do i understand from your posts here that you do get the temp on you desktop? "Having the temp displayed on the desktop sounded interesting." does this mean it sounded interesting but isn't? or it sounded interesting but doesn't work that way? because, before i installed bbweather, i was under the impression that my desktop icon and label would change to reflect current conditions, which it doesn't. if my mail icons can change to reflect new mail, bbweather should be able to change based on conditions, right?

PIN/ID
    Retired

now that would be nice to combine BB's application with the changable icon!

ok, let me try to clear it up - with the accuweather push service, you do get the temp on your desktop. there is a changing icon with temp that displays on the desktop. it sounded interesting, but it is not. haha. i like having the temp displayed, but i'm pretty sure it only updates twice a day, which is a little disappointing. also, if you do click into it, it opens up the browser and just takes you to a site that gives you the 5 day forecast. nothing special.

i like how bbweather updates way more often. again, my only gripe about it is that it defaults to the first city alphabetically and doesn't allow you to choose a preferred city. but, i would stick with bbweather over accuweather push.

but...it is easy enough to sign up for the accuweather and check it out for yourself. see what it actually is, and if you don't like it, just "unsign" up for it. as stated above, you just have to go to mobile.blackberry.com on your phone and go to push services. if you do, expect to wait up for 24 hours for it to show up on your desktop. worth a try - different people have different preferences.

Lightbulb Re: Weather application question

I have been using the BBWeather since I originally posted this thread. I agree that BBWeather is the best available solution at the moment.

As to the order that the locations are in... on my phone, they are in the order that I entered them. I tried changing the description and adding an "A" to see if it floated to the top and it didn't. I tried adding a new one and still no float. I also thought that maybe it was Zip code related, since that is how I identify the Location and no change in order.

So I might suggest removing all your locations and re-adding them in the order you want.

Best of Luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast