Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I have the flu and I sleep with my 8100 so the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

s2do Guest

Re: Water Damage...

Advertisement

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I have the flu and I sleep with my 8100 so the thieves can't get it. But when my temp went pass 102 I began sweating profusely and sweated in 2 pearl. The keys and screen are better after drying butremember 2 dry it with out the battery because ü can really mess up your handset drying with battery

s2do Guest

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I have the flu and I sleep with my 8100 so the thieves can't get it. But when my temp went pass 102 I began sweating profusely and sweated in 2 pearl. The keys and screen are better after drying but remember 2 dry it with out the battery because ü can really mess up your handset drying with battery

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Liquid damage - Phones may work after they have been given a chance to dry as has been stated. The three red X's you see on your battery are in most instances an indicator for liquid damage. The way the indicator works is that when it gets wet, the X's run so that the entire sticker ends up being red (or pink or a shade of that color depending on how wet it got). There is usually a sticker on the backside of the phone to indicate if it gets wet. It is usually (but not always) pure white with a small piece of plastic over the top. It has a layer of dried red ink behind the white paper. When the phone gets wet the ink runs. Unknown to most customers there are also indicators hidden inside the phone (V3 has 5 in various parts of the phone). We have seen the external indicator stay white and all the indicators inside the phone be bright red when we open them up to repair them.
    As far as what liquids are damaging, any liquid presented to an electrical circuit will cause damage if there is power running through the circuit. We have found (been doing liquid damage repairs for 5 years now) that the two worst liquids to be introduced to a phone are 1. Salt water (ie sweat) - Eats away at the actual board, and 2. Washing Machine Water - The phosphates in the washing detergent will do the same to the board as salt water does. In both instances, as was mentioned before, getting the phone rewet in Distilled water to attempt to wash out the salt/phosphates will help in saving the phone.
    As for long term use, it varies from instance to instance. We have seen some last for years with no further problems and have had some not last 2 days before another problem shows up that came from the liquid damage.
    As for warranties on any electrical item that gets wet, the liquid is so unpredictable that the manufacturer can not be certain that the problem is not due to the damage. The most common problems have to do with the keypad, microphones, speakers, and vibrators in cell phones. We have seen phones where the screens will shut off sporadically and not come back on, signal comes in and out for no apparent reason, etc..... Nokia's policy on liquid damaged handsets that come back to them is to charge a flat rate price (was $175 two years ago). They then replace the unit and toss the old one.
    The steps mentioned in previous posts are definitely the best ways to make sure your phone continues to operate for the most part but are no garaunties that you can save your device.

Zo.

djmanc5 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hey, new here with a more specific water damage question. my handset got nudged into the toilet the other night. i quickly scooped it out and dried it off, but i was a bit delayed on the battery. it was working right after the dunk, but now after drying in some rice for about 36 hours the LCD and earpiece are still out of commision. i've seen many things on how liquids can corrode connections and what not, and i was wondering if anyone had any luck with denatured alcohol or distilled water. is it better to just keep my phone drying, or possibly "wash" it in one of the above liquids. thanks

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    If you use either one of the two options you stated, I would go with the alcohol. It doesn't conduct electricity as easily as the water. The best way to make sure there is no corrosion is to take it apart completely down to the main board.

Zo

so far, the phone works as per norm, minus the LCD screen. do you have any info you can give me as far as process goes? do i just dunk the whole thing over again? are there any special circumstances for the screen?
    Thanks for your help

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    We always take the unit apart and wash the cosmetics with normal soap and water but run the board through a sonic bath with an alcohol solution. We then take a toothbrush and carefully scrub the corrosion off the board while it is still wet. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 runs through the sonic bath to get all the corrosion out.

Zo

Hypothetical situation: i don't own a sonic bath.

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    I know. Hypothetical depends on your technical knowledge and ability to disassemble the phone. There are four screws that hold everything together along with a couple of snaps. If you feel comfortable enough, you can dissassemble the phone and let it soak in an alcohol bath for a little while to help clean it out.

Zo

tommybp no está en línea Stack level 2
    you have a 50/50 shot of recovering a phone of any type once it has liquid damage. I work in the cellular industry and have seen this many times. The best thing to do IS to remove the battery as soon as possible. I have rinsed entire circuit boards in alcohol and placed the devices on fans to air dry. This will work most of the time.

If anyone wants to send me their liquid damaged device to see if i can fix, feel free to email me...

tommybpii@gmail.com

i do this sort of thing for fun

thanks again for your help. would i have to remove the lcd screen from the board, or is that safe for a dip. also- does it have to be denatured alcohol or will rubbing alcohol do the same work?
    Last edited by djmanc5; 04-07-2008 at 11:42 PM.

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    I would remove the LCD screen. There is a reflective layer on the backside that could wrinkle up even more by letting it soak. We use 91% Isopropyl alcohol here, not sure if rubbing alcohol will work or not.

Zo

iFire1991 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hi. My mom washed my BlackBerry Pearl three times in my work pants and it was sitting in water for about an hour afterwards. I didn't know what to do with it so I tried to take it apart. I did for the most part, and even though it has been more than a week since its little bath it still doesn't turn on. I don't care about the phone at all because I'm planning on buying a BlackBerry Bold, the thing that I need is all of my contacts. How do I retrieve them? My warranty expired almost a year ago, by the way.

enikolayev no está en línea Stack level 2
    The water damage indicator is on the bottom of the battery where the contacts are. It's just a white rectangular sticker.

I went boating yesterday, and some water went overboard drenching my phone. I have taken it apart and dried it, however it is a gonner. Just the red led comes on

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12