Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My 20 month old decided to dunk my 8100 in a full glass of water ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

cshelle24 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23EC7A31

Water Damage...

Advertisement

My 20 month old decided to dunk my 8100 in a full glass of water yesterday. I tried to dry it off as much as possible as per what other posts have mentioned and tried to leave it alone. I did try every few hours turning it on to see how much damage had been done. It did not look good and seemed like it was fried. I forgot to mention the 8100 was on when it went for a swim. I tried it this morning and it seems to be working like normal. I have to try all the functions, but the screen is finally dry and the keys are working again. Those of you who have had similar issues, have you experienced problems since the phone drying? We bought another 8100, but we have 14 days to return it, if I feel comfortable with my original. Thanks!

gazar no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Water Damage...

Kids eh ? It should be Ok if it was just water, I would return your other one and wait and see what happens if anything.

Gaz.

bbriand no está en línea Stack level 3

Be careful that you don't accidentally return the Pearl that was in the drink. Usually phones have a sticker that turns colour if exposed to water. Usually its in the battery compartment.

Bill

doophus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E29EB7

I had a phone stay out in the snow for 6 months one year. We had given up on it and got a new one. Once the snow melted and we found the phone I dried it for two days. I put the phone back together and gave it to a friend who used it for 2 years. I would bet you are good to go as long as it booted up after taking a swim. If it was not clean water or was something other then water you might have a problem but other then that your good.

phillyslix no está en línea Stack level 4

Most of the time, if you let the phone completely dry, you'll be up and working with no problem. Sometimes it takes a few days for it to dry out. I had a phone that went for a swim and I used it for a year with no problems. I upgraded to another phone but I have this phone away and the other person used it for another year or so with no problems. All I had to do was purchase another battery for the phone. It was a asmaing phone and once the phone fried, the battery was shorted out. It was well worth it to me to purchase the battery rather than pay full price for a phone.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Dharma1521 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by phillyslix
    Most of the time, if you let the phone completely dry, you'll be up and working with no problem. Sometimes it takes a few days for it to dry out. I had a phone that went for a swim and I used it for a year with no problems. I upgraded to another phone but I have this phone away and the other person used it for another year or so with no problems. All I had to do was purchase another battery for the phone. It was a asmaing phone and once the phone fried, the battery was shorted out. It was well worth it to me to purchase the battery rather than pay full price for a phone.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I "allegedly" washed my boyfriends phone. Washed as in, threw it in the washer with the clothes on heavy duty, "allegedly." The phone was completely dead for a couple days then after a week or so, after replacing the phone he turned it on and it worked fine.

cshelle24 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23EC7A31

so if the water damage indicator is 3 red x's on the battery, do i need to replace it? Thanks!

bbriand no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by cshelle24
    so if the water damage indicator is 3 red X's on the battery, do i need to replace it? Thanks!
    Not necessarily. It just usually means it voids your warranty. Although I don't think those 3 red X's are water damage indicators on the battery. I would think they would place the sticker on the housing of the Pearl itself.

Bill

dwagman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

My battery has red Xs on it and it has never touched water...

hpmcdonald no está en línea Stack level 2

I had a Pearl given to me by someone who had dropped it in a Coca-Cola. I learned a lot about recovering wet cellphones.

#1 TAKE THE BATTERY OUT. With no electricity, it's all plastic and wires which are unnaffected by water.

#2 DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON. With the battery out, this should not be a problem.

#3 If it got wet with anything other than distilled water, as counter-intuitive as it may seem, you'll need to rinse it in distilled water so there are no mineral deposits left over when it dries out. I put this Pearl in a ziplock bag filled with distilled water (like a goldfish). Turns out Coca-Cola is very corrosive to the solder that holds everything together, but even tap water has salts and other minerals that can screw up your phone after it dries.

I took this Pearl to a Cell Phone Repair shop. Everything I did was according to their instructions, but it turns out there was nothing that could be done with it. The original owner probably didn't take out the battery (#1) and probably kept trying to turn it on (#2)

There's an entry in wikihow.com about rescuing a wet cellphone that follows pretty much the same process.

rogerm no está en línea Stack level 1

Where do these red "x"s appear on the battery? Do you need to remove the battery to see them? I just wanted to check in case I am all wet as well, though do not think my pearl has gone diving yet.

A few times when I have been at the Verizon store I hear the Tech Support people telling sad folks that their phone is not covered as it has gotten wet. I think this is a scam as it allows these phone companies to avoid responsibility for many problems that have nothing to do with the wetness. Most responses here indicate these phones are able to work fine after getting wet, especially if it is just water.

What a racket!

PIN/ID
    23EB47F3

I was talking to my buddy a couple weeks ago when he dropped his phone in a porta potty. He didnt grab it out to see if it still worked. GROSS

hpmcdonald no está en línea Stack level 2

Oh, and this very morning my 18 month old tried to give me my Pearl while I was in the shower (I managed to keep it dry). It seems you can either have a Blackberry Pearl or you can have kids. Decisions, decisions......

COJO 24 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E89BE8

I would just keep the new pearl and then return the messed up one so then you'll have a brand new one and you won't have to worry about it messing up on you while you're using it.

Hope this helps,

COJO 24

doophus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E29EB7

I have no X's on my battery and I don't see a water sticker in my phone. I know that my Razer had one in it and they said it would turn black if it was wet. I see nothing in my phone to indicate that it ever had a sticker. Anybody know where they are in the Pearl?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast