hello, i'm fuming over a recent exchange with some customer "service" folks at t-moble and ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

acostiga no está en línea Stack level 1

warranty problem

Advertisement

hello, i'm fuming over a recent exchange with some customer "service" folks at t-moble and searching around the internet for some insight.... stumbled upon your site, and thought i'd see what you all thought of the warranty problem.

i called t-mobile originally due to an unrelated issue, with account billing. they'd been billing me more than they should have due to a "glitch" in their system. the problem was identified, my bill was corrected and for a brief moment things seemed right in the world.

because i already had somebody on the line, i thought i'd ask about the problem i'd recently had with the latch on my 8100. that delicate, little thing that is supposed to keep the battery cover closed has been broken on my phone for a short while- and i've just been taping the thing shut. the phone works just fine, it's just a bit hokey that i've got the thing taped up.

it was acknowledged that the latch problem is common, and that my phone would probably be replaced without any issues....

BUT THE WATER DAMAGE STICKER IS RED! THE WARRANTY IS VOID!!!

i have no idea why some little sticker's color has anything to do with the latch not working correctly. the phone hasn't ever been dropped into water, or gone scuba diviing or whatnot- but somehow a tiny sticker in my phone that is red means that the phone's warranty is void. it makes sense that the company wouldn't want to warranty a phone that had been dropped into a lake, or gone through a wash cycle. this makes complete sense. but the warranty issue i have is unrelated to the red sticker, so i don't see why it matters.

am i being ripped off? am i going crazy? thanks in advance for your input.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: warranty problem

I may not agree with the policy but that is how the warranty service works. There is nothing you can do about that there... but there are 3rd party providers to assist in replacing the broken part (I think I read around $100)
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

you could always buy a new part and do it yourself. If your sticker is red then some how it got wet. Could be from sweat, steam from a shower, etc. Doesn't have to be dropped in water for the sticker to turn color.

applejosh no está en línea Stack level 3

Eventaully all my phones have had that little sticker turn red. Probably from perspiration (either my pocket or my hands), but I always thought those things were a little too sensitive (or at best unreliable over the long term). But yeah, that's how the warranty stuff works. Anything for the bottom line, right?
    applejosh
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)
    OS 4.3

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

acostiga,

Is is completely Red, and you can tell that it as become overly humid and the red die used has spread to all the patch or is there just a crisp red line or one or two lines of Xs running across the white sticker?

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

acostiga no está en línea Stack level 1

thanks for your replies!

to answer the question, the sticker on the battery (located near what appear to be the metal contacts) is white with a crisp red stripe across the middle. the other sticker is located close to where the memory card is located, and is a completely red square.

i still don't understand what water damage or no water damage has to do with the battery cover latch. that thing being fragile poorly designed, and breaking due to regular use doesn't have anything to do with moisture as far as i can tell. it's like my auto insurance company refusing to fix the car after a fender-bender because i had dribbled a bit of coffee into the center console, or something like that.

after speaking with various customer "service" people for about an hour and a half at t-mobile and research in motion, against the suggestion of the person at t-mobile with whom i was dealing, i had them put through a warranty/return. they're sending me a replacement phone, and my phone will be evaluated by somebody at a processing center to determine if it's in or out of warranty. i'm guessing that the technician who will be making that decision will take one look at the red sticker and go no further. that's so exasperating for me, but i paid a lot of money for a nice phone and i'd like to enjoy having a nice and not-taped together phone.

thanks again for your input