so i bought a pearl at a T-Mobile store in Manhattan, got it unlocked and ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

spanisholive no está en línea Stack level 1

Warranty Coverage for Unlocked Pearl

Advertisement

so i bought a pearl at a T-Mobile store in Manhattan, got it unlocked and now use it with Cingular/ATT. Several months later I begin to get 'Sim Card Error' messages 2-4 times a week. This problem is solved by taking the battery off then back on to reset the unit. Inevitably, the latch that secures the back lid on, has slowly loosened and eventually fallen off. I callled Tmobile, RIM and ATT & neither one wants to warranty the phone? Its only 4-5months old. I paid full price, am i screwed?

delise no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    312F6678

Re: Warranty Coverage for Unlocked Pearl

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    RIM will only provide warranty when you purchase directly through them. T-mobile would be your best bet but you voided the warranty when you had it unlocked and switched to AT&T. If anyone was to help RIM may if you open a support ticket but you'll have to pay a fee.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

AT&T does not offer insurance on BlackBerry phones. Unlocking the phone DOES NOT void the warranty. I have unlocked 4 BB's and they were covered.

delise no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    312F6678

Sorry, Erica, it must be a Verizon specific thing.

Good luck, spanisholive.

spanisholive no está en línea Stack level 1

Erica, what kind of coverage are you talking about? Because ATT & Tmobile offer nothing. They both told me that the second a unlocked the phone, it became an 'out-of warranty' unit. However, the only thing RIM offered was to sell me a Refurbished device for $260.
    Who can I talk to, and how do you feel i should present my case to have my pearl either fixed and replaced?
    thanks soo much

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Maybe it's just where I am at that they cover that stuff. I have sent several unlocked BB's back to them and never got charged with an out of warranty fee. Only time I got charged with a fee was when I sent back a 7105t and I found out afterwards that they said the phone had water damage. No more problems since.

I have also upgraded OS versions and unlocked other vendor themes on my BB's and never was charged with out of warranty fees.

I have the Equipment Protection thru Assurion.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 09-24-2007 at 04:28 AM.

rw5579 no está en línea Stack level 3

unlocking the phones shouldn't void the warranty, having them on acitve on another network while trying to make a warranty claim is the problem, did you ever use it on T-Mobile, or did you just get it unlocked immediately and then activate it on AT&T? if it was never used on an active TMO line, the warranty status would show as not verified, or if your TMO acct is cancelled, either aspect could complicate your situation.

dif2175509 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by spanisholive
    so i bought a pearl at a T-Mobile store in Manhattan, got it unlocked and now use it with Cingular/ATT. Several months later I begin to get 'Sim Card Error' messages 2-4 times a week. This problem is solved by taking the battery off then back on to reset the unit. Inevitably, the latch that secures the back lid on, has slowly loosened and eventually fallen off. I callled Tmobile, RIM and ATT & neither one wants to warranty the phone? Its only 4-5months old. I paid full price, am i screwed?
    Are you referring to the metal sim holder, or the Black plastic cover on the back of the device?

You can puchase (off ebay) a new back cover for under $10.00.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by rw5579
    unlocking the phones shouldn't void the warranty, having them on acitve on another network while trying to make a warranty claim is the problem, did you ever use it on T-Mobile, or did you just get it unlocked immediately and then activate it on AT&T? if it was never used on an active TMO line, the warranty status would show as not verified, or if your TMO acct is cancelled, either aspect could complicate your situation.
    Ditto. Absolutely right. Unlocking the phone does not void the warranty. Not having an active tmobile line is why they cannot process the exchange. The manufacturer warranty can be processed through the carrier but make no mistake it is not the carriers warranty. once you cancel service with the carrier their obligation to the warranty ceases. At that point all you can do is call rim and get the phone exchange directly from the original source, the manufacturer.

- tom - no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK

Thumbs up Re: Warranty Coverage for Unlocked Pearl

Try to complain about your problem to tmobile. Tell them that you use the phone with tmobile ToGo account (prepaid). While you're complaining, never say that you are unlocked the phone. The situation is much better if you never activated the BB service with ATT. Hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by spanisholive
    -t o m-
    *PearlLover, CurveAbuser*
    :D

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by - tom -
    Try to complain about your problem to tmobile. Tell them that you use the phone with tmobile ToGo account (prepaid). While you're complaining, never say that you are unlocked the phone. The situation is much better if you never activated the BB service with ATT. Hope it works.
    Will not work. BB is not a valid tmobile to go phone (since tmo to go has no data feature) and will not allow an exchange. Again you must go to the manufacteror.

bgrainger no está en línea Stack level 2

If it is the battery cover get a new one for $10. If it is the sim door a piece of tape is your friend!