Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just a word of warning, I've had my 8100 Pearl (off Ebay, though, I have ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

eudorauser no está en línea Stack level 1

Warning - Trackball Lifespan

Advertisement

Just a word of warning, I've had my 8100 Pearl (off Ebay, though, I have to say) for a couple of months now. Everything worked perfectly. Just now things have started to break down:

- Trackball "clicking in" (ie pressing in to select something) doesn't work at all
    - The context key (for ? ! etc) doesn't work properly
    - Some of the letter keys have started sticking and not firing each time.

I have indeed tried everything, including, but not limited to:

- Reinstalling the OS
    - Hard resets
    - Disassembling the trackball, cleaning and reassembling
    - Chanting ancient Greek verse at full moon

I've just ordered another Pearl (off Ebay, I know, I'll never learn), that's how committed I am to this darn handset!

Just thought I should warn you - bits do go wrong before long

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba

Re: Warning - Trackball Lifespan

Wow that's crazy!! Sorry to hear about that! I've had mines since it 1st came out, and non of the above signs, but ill look out for em

- tom - no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK

eudorauser, do you use any protective case w/ your pearl? Sometimes a full covered case (plastic in front, leather in back) trapped the humid of our body. That what makes your pearl might not functioning properly. If you aren't, do you use your pearl in a clean environment? It might be a lot of dust stuck into your pearl.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

I don't expect mine to last forever. I have yet to own a phone that didn't start having problems with one key or another, one function or another. Usually I can trace the problem back to hard/constant usage from me. I don't own a land line, so my phones are my work and home numbers. They are on 24/7 most of the time, and I use them constantly.

That being said, I usually get 12-18 months out of a good phone before it starts getting unhappy.

And my worst phone "luck" has come from my Ebay phones. Buyer beware from the online auctions.

fbriceno97 Guest

Getting things as cell phones at ebay it is a big lottery.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~its true you have to be carefull about online auctions. But i've had 2 cellphones from eBay. One broke after 2 years and the other one I got tired. Now I'm with the pearl, everything seems fine 'till now.
    On the other hand my brother gets a new one every six months, he brakes most of them!

GotPearl? no está en línea Stack level 5

Well that is why you don't buy stuff from ebay....I never have and I never will.

avante no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2405C4B1

Quote Originally Posted by eudorauser
    - Chanting ancient Greek verse at full moon
    Well if you've tried that then there isn't anything else to do besides buy another one!
    I don't think that everything of ebay is somehow coming with a worse build quality. I just think that when this started to happen if you had bought from your carrier you could just walk in and tell them to give you a replacement! Good luck to you and I hope the next one is better to you.

eudorauser no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by - tom -
    eudorauser, do you use any protective case w/ your pearl? Sometimes a full covered case (plastic in front, leather in back) trapped the humid of our body. That what makes your pearl might not functioning properly. If you aren't, do you use your pearl in a clean environment? It might be a lot of dust stuck into your pearl.
    Good points, i don't use a case, but I do keep it in my jeans pocket, so plenty of dust in there....

Other comments about Ebay duly noted! I'm just such an upgrade freak, that my carrier gets sick of me always asking for my next upgrade...

imwillzillla no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2038A4B8

Eh, i've yet to have a problem with any phone i've bought off of Ebay including a BB 8700, 7100, and even a Palm Treo 650. It's really easy to blame Ebay or even the maker of certian phones. (Palm gets blamed constantly) However, I think some phones are built to be more sensitive than others. I think we should start with how the phone's handled on a daily basis.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

I think its more just who you buy from on Ebay. When you buy from an individual seller, the risk is a lot higher that you might be buying someone else's problem or second hand phone (the second hand part isn't a big deal as long as it is disclosed).

The phones I have had good luck with on Ebay have been from powersellers and ebay store people. But the price I had to pay for them was so close to the in store price I may as well have saved the risk and bought from my carrier.

In between contracts and upgrades, however, that becomes a moot point.

j llama no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME

eudo, i'm guessing you're original pearl was not from a phone company? If it was you would have still been within the 1 year manufacturers waranty from RIM. I had a speaker die and got a replacement 8100 for no charge (manufacturer defect). These things happen all the time.

If your first pearl was from somewhere like ebay, even then wouldn't it still have the one year warranty or is that void after selling it online?

firepiper no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24133d85

my original purchase was the 8705t....it had problems with phone calls......it would ring, then there would be a loud screeching sound...so when I got a replacement....oh darn they were out of that model!! I HAD to upgrade( for free) to the pearl... well that was in Feb.
    the pearl now has a problem..the trackball wont scroll to the right
    my new pearl is on its way and thats only after 3 months of use. I keep it in my shirt pocket most of the time and try to be cognitive that there are alot of fragile parts on it.

before the right scroll issue came up the up and down scroll took turns not working, but resolved itself.

any hints to prevent it from happening again?

xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    PM

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

This is my 3rd pearl, the 2nd ones ball stopped working. As far as I know, I don't press the ball anymore. I use the enter key. Haha

lightsoutlon no está en línea Stack level 2

I too experience problems with the trackball. I've my Pearl since Jan.

Usually, the trackball 'locks' and only allows left-to-right movement. Bloody annoying. And then it seems to release itself of its own accord.

This is the first Blackberry product I've used or bought. I was going to get another Sony but was persuaded by a bb fan to look at the Pearl. Three/four months on, I like what the Pearl is supposed to be able to do. Shame that it seems as though bb brought a product to market before it was ready.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast