I see a lot of noobs (like myself) asking this question and no one seems ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

cwvolleyguy10 no está en línea Stack level 1

want to update OS

Advertisement

I see a lot of noobs (like myself) asking this question and no one seems to spend 5 mins to write an answer...

I am with cingular and have the red pearl. If I updgrade to the newest Roger's OS, will I have to change a bunch of settings to get it to work with cingular's stuff ie internet, text messaging, etc??

I'm new at this so please help me out here. What will I have to modify/change after I load the new Roger's OS, anything?

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Re: want to update OS

no the settings will stay the same, just remember to do a backup with desktop manager
    and welcome to the stacks!!!!!!
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

Thanks! This site seems like a great way to learn, so I'm here as long as I have this phone lol. Anyone else have any advice for the update? I already made a backup.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by cwvolleyguy10
    I see a lot of noobs (like myself) asking this question and no one seems to spend 5 mins to write an answer...

I am with cingular and have the red pearl. If I updgrade to the newest Roger's OS, will I have to change a bunch of settings to get it to work with cingular's stuff ie internet, text messaging, etc??

I'm new at this so please help me out here. What will I have to modify/change after I load the new Roger's OS, anything?
    actually there are many posts that answer that, so someone took the "5 mins" to do it.
    Any OS, regardless of carrier, can be installed onto that specific device (so any carriers Pearl OS onto another carriers Pearl, or 8800..etc). Just do a backup from Desktop Manager (just in case the upgrade doesn't fully restore everything automatically). The only thing you will have to "modify" is deleting the vendor.xml file... search the forum quick for how to locate that file, as well as other wonderful tips on freeing up more memory on the device.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

Cliff, it may be out there, but I did not find the direct answer in the 2-3 hours I was reading here on the board, so I made this post. Oh and thanks for extra info

sinkers no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by cwvolleyguy10
    Cliff, it may be out there, but I did not find the direct answer in the 2-3 hours I was reading here on the board, so I made this post. Oh and thanks for extra info
    Have you noticed the "Quick Search" option near the top right hand corner of every page? As a test, I put in "OS Upgrade". In the very first result, the author of the 2nd item down had a link, in their signature, to a very full explanation about how to upgrade the OS
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    OS upgrades are phone dependent NOT carrier dependent