I just got my 8130 today and decided to play around a bit with the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

genoist no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3179F2D7

VZW Pearl GPS Work-Around

Advertisement

I just got my 8130 today and decided to play around a bit with the GPS. The program that I used to test the GPS with was Spot. When the program runs, it says that the GPS is available, but will not find any data from it.

Here is the work-around. I downloaded VZ Navigator (not sure if you have to subscribe or not, but my guess is yes) and ran it. I am not sure if you must chose a specific screen or not, but I selected the option to see a map of where I am. After doing that I hit the end button to put VZ Navigator into the background. Once this is done you can upen Spot and it will now be able to find your location data. Spot is the only program so far that I have tried, but I would guess that this would work with any program.

xsists no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Re: VZW Pearl GPS Work-Around

Now try to delete the VZ nav and see if it still works. Maybe VZ nav unlocks the GPS but once its gone so is the GPS. Try this out and let us know!

PIN/ID
    3179F2D7

I don't think that deleting VZ Nav will work. I have to have it running in the background for any GPS stuff to work. Once I close VZ Nav other software no longer has access to the GPS.

tafaghodi no está en línea Stack level 3

can you download vznav for free?

PIN/ID
    3179F2D7
    Quote Originally Posted by tafaghodi View Post
    can you download vznav for free?
    Yes you can download it for free. It doesn't work unless you pay the 9.99/month. I am not sure if you can use this work around without the subscription. Looks like we just need someone to give this s try with the download of vznav sans the subscription.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

The GPS should work with out the program unless verizon crippled it some how.

Does the 8130 have an internal GPS? Sorry not familiar with the specs.

If it does, you should be able to go outside and go under Options>Advanced Options>GPS and refresh. It should find the satellites that way. Make sure you're outside and with a clear view of the sky. It might take a while.

PIN/ID
    3179F2D7

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    The 8130 does have an internal GPS, but it is locked to VZ Nav

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

You sure? Do you have the option to go outside and try the refresh like I said above?

PIN/ID
    3179F2D7
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post
    You sure? Do you have the option to go outside and try the refresh like I said above?
    There is no refresh option on the GPS screen. The only changable option on that screen is turning location on and off.

xsists no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

I turned my GPS to location on and went into the maps program. It doesn't let you change the GPS option for it.

PIN/ID
    3179F2D7
    Quote Originally Posted by xsists View Post
    I turned my GPS to location on and went into the maps program. It doesn't let you change the GPS option for it.
    BB Maps seems to be a lost cause since there is no option for changing the GPS source. Windows Live Search works great with this workaround.

tafaghodi no está en línea Stack level 3

I downloaded vz maps last nights. I started it up and put it in the backround. I opened windows live and tried to get a gps fix nothing happened. I placed it on a window sill all night still nothing. I will take it outside and see what happens.