Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

how about internet security? i do alot of online transactions, (banking paypal buying) i try ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

addictedson no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Viruses on the BB Pearl

Advertisement

how about internet security? i do alot of online transactions, (banking paypal buying) i try not to use the BB too much for that kindof stuff... should i be worried? should i go for it?!

krazed14 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E18D0B

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I think you have to worry, blackberries are very secure phones, I mean government officials use them, and plus they come with firewalls and etc...

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

Dont be to worried but my advice, be careful.

j llama no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME

check this out.
    i remember seeing a show on discovery about something like this
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06...h_mobo_attack/

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

come on. It's like a conspiracy theory. Just don't be dumb, or ignorant about your phone and all is fine. If you really want my contact numbers and addresses just ask. A waste of time making a worm or virus for mobiles. Pretty dumb!!

mysmyrrh no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23e4456e

Quote Originally Posted by avante
    I don't think anyone is arguing that it's impossible. Anything is possible but that's the point. If it's possible for any phone then it's better to make a decision based on track record, which BB has a great one. The original comment had to do with whether or not the gentleman should, or could, feel comfortable selling them to customers. Is there another phone that you think may be a better option for him to feel comfortable selling?
    *rolling eyes* it was a fricking pm that went astray, and I just didn't feel like editing. We had a converstation you know nothing about, and this was a response to that. It wasn't addressed to you in the first place.

zta
    zta no está en línea Stack level 2

i do believe that blackberry is the best. and this is not an advertisement, just hoping for feedback on what i've been reading, thanks. *these articles are OLD news*, probably all fixed by now (?), but probably not the end of it either:

(SMobile's VirusGuard for BlackBerry is currently the only anti-virus solution for BlackBerry available on the market)... seems like government people may use it too, since it's "available for personal, enterprise, and government use." It does seem to me that just because DoD uses blackberry doesn't mean they don't use additional security. of course they do. i have no clue What they use, i would guess that they probobly have someone writing their own stuff. (?)

1) Cracking the BlackBerry with a $100 Key (November 30, 2006)
    http://securitywatch.eweek.com/explo...a_100_key.html

2) One of the first examples of malicious software on BlackBerry devices has surfaced, but manufacturer Research In Motion does not see it as a serious threat. (09 Aug 2006)
    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communicatio...9280637,00.htm

2) Researchers Warn of Serious BlackBerry Vulnerability (August 8, 2006)
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2000621,00.asp

3) For the second time in as many weeks, Research In Motion Ltd. (RIM) is acknowledging that its BlackBerry Enterprise Server is vulnerable to attack. (18 Jan 2006)
    http://searchmobilecomputing.techtar...S&topic=299724

4) Top 5 Blackberry Security Recommendations (2005)
    1. Disable pin-to-pin messaging
    2. Enable password-protection on the device (strong passwords, expiration)
    3. Disable the installation of 3rd party applications
    4. Make user aware that data on the device is at risk (awareness)
    5. Communicate the procedure for loss of device and emergency shutdown of service
    http://seclists.org/basics/2005/Apr/0254.html

5) Opening a malicious image sent via an e-mail on the popular mobile devices could disable a user's capability to view attachments, BlackBerry maker Research In Motion said Tuesday (January 3, 2006)
    http://news.com.com/BlackBerry+users...3-6016847.html

(sorry about the links) didn't mean to break the rules. sorry

mysmyrrh no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23e4456e
    Gonna check out those links ASAP. Altho, it does appear that this all deals with bb on a BES. But regardless, it does point up the fact that it can and has and will again prob happen. Thanks for the links!

nrwilk no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187
    If you really want my contact numbers and addresses just ask. A waste of time making a worm or virus for mobiles.

Why do you think that people write viruses, trojans, worms, and all the other forms of malicious software? It isn't to get money, or even information. These people want to see if they can do it. It's like a puzzle. They don't want your contact info. They want to see if they can solve the puzzle. That's no waste of time to them.

BTW, when did this conversation move from viruses to cracking? These are two completely different things.
    Last edited by nrwilk; 03-11-2007 at 07:33 PM.
    nrwilk

scampbell185 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24210A68

I don't think anyone is arguing that it's impossible. Anything is possible but that's the point. If it's possible for any phone then it's better to make a decision based on track record, which BB has a great one. The original comment had to do with whether or not the gentleman should, or could, feel comfortable selling them to customers. Is there another phone that you think may be a better option for him to feel comfortable selling?
    Wow funny thing is I am not a guy. LOL *Waves to you Pam* Glad to see that you stopped by to check this out. Thank you all for the feed back it is great finding out what people think or have heard. All of this information has and is very useful. Thanks for the links on the articles. I will have to check these out asap.

avante no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2405C4B1

Quote Originally Posted by mysmyrrh
    *rolling eyes* it was a fricking pm that went astray, and I just didn't feel like editing. We had a converstation you know nothing about, and this was a response to that. It wasn't addressed to you in the first place.
    I'm sorry if you somehow took offense to my previous comment. It's funny though that you were the one that had the PM go astray, and didn't feel like editing it. Why roll your eyes and get hurt about me addressing something that was stated, when you couldn't take the time to delete it. There are no hurt feelings on this side and hopefully none on your side.

avante no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2405C4B1

Quote Originally Posted by scampbell185
    Wow funny thing is I am not a guy. LOL *Waves to you Pam* Glad to see that you stopped by to check this out. Thank you all for the feed back it is great finding out what people think or have heard. All of this information has and is very useful. Thanks for the links on the articles. I will have to check these out asap.
    Scampbell185-Sorry if I said guy when I should have said gal. No offense intended. After hearing what others have thought and the feedback do you feel more or less comfortable selling them to your customers?

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187
    come on. It's like a conspiracy theory. Just don't be dumb, or ignorant about your phone and all is fine.
    if you d/l unsigned, unverified 3rd party apps, leave your BT connection open for search and other painfully dumb moves, chances are you're gonna get violated. for those poor members who have now become unneedingly fearful, here's a nice link to visit and read a little about:

www.blackberry.com/gov

The DoD works directly with RIM on releases to make sure the security is up to their standards and constantly upgrade the security as holes pop up. your biggest security risk is yourself. a dead bolt lock only works if the bolt is engaged and blackberry security measures are no different.

Is there another phone that you think may be a better option for him to feel comfortable selling?
    I believe several 1st world goverments would agree with this statement.

----
    I hope someone googled those deer facts. they were real and none of it theory or hearsay.

j llama no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME

you could always put your blackberry in bucket of liquid
    cement. After the bucket is solid, toss it in your nearest
    river, lake, pond, ocean, etc....
    no viruses 4ever
    lol

groovin2dabe no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204C2D28

Post Re: Viruses on the BB Pearl

BlackBerry vulnerability, mobile viruses are real threats

At this month's Black Hat conference, a presentation centered around BBProxy, a hacking program that can take advantage of the trust relationship between a BlackBerry and an enterprise's internal server to hijack network connections.
    That, coupled with recent warnings of imminent mobile virus outbreaks, is cause for alarm. SearchMobileComputing.com recently spoke with George Tuvell and Neil Book, respectively CEO and president of mobile security vendor SMobile Systems, to determine which mobile threats are real and which are myth. The pair also noted the havoc that BBProxy can wreak.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast