The Pearl is my first Blackberry. I have set-up my e-mail so that I can ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ROSCOE no está en línea Stack level 1

View jpg attachment from e-mail

Advertisement

The Pearl is my first Blackberry. I have set-up my e-mail so that I can send and receive. That function has been working fine. I have had two different e-mails sent with attachments. One was a .pdf the other was a .jpg. Neither one would open. It said something like "Can't locate on server". I have tried sending myself .jpg files to pinpoint the problem but I cannot figure it out. The .jpg files are all less than 180k. I did a search on this site and I followed the instructions, but it still didn't work. Any help is appreciated.

LaZyBoYx15 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30481A4C

Re: View jpg attachment from e-mail

Hi,

I do get the same message sometimes.

When you read your email and you hit the menu button on while cursor is on the attachment you can open attachment.

Then you will see table of contents and full content.

Try expanding table on contents for documents

For Jpeg expand full content then it should say retrieving more

If that does work, hit the menu button and hit retreive now and resend the request.

I hope this helps, Pearl is also my first BB.

Welcome to Pinstack
    Love my first BlackBerry (Pearl)!
    PiN 204B103B

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been doing further testing. I am able to open 14k and 86k .jpg's, but a 496k .jpg is taking a long time. When I clicked on the attachment, it took me to another screen with the name of the attachment expanded to show "Table of contents" and "Full content". When I click on "Full content" a clock appears to the left. The smaller files opened quickly, the 496k file has been going for at least 5 minutes already. Is there a max size on downloaded files?

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

I am not sure about the exact size that the limit is, but have you tried to click on full content again and resend the request?

Earlier today with photos that I had received they just hung there after I sent the initial request, but after sending it 1 or 2 times more, it came thru fine.

The 496k file just returned the message "An unknown error was encountered". I will try to resend the request.

LGV2006 no está en línea Stack level 2

Make sure you are at a location with good reception. I noticed that it timeout when I'm on a bad spot.

mythmbhurts no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204D7C8C

Here is an easy work around for your problem. Send yourself the email to your Yahoo or gmail account from your T-mobile. Bottom line just send it to anything other than yout Tmo.blackberry.net address. I have the same problem as you "Can't locate server" issue but when i send it to my Yahoo address it works fine with no problems. If I send it to myself from my Tmo.blackberry.net i get that error.
    Last edited by mythmbhurts; 10-05-2006 at 09:49 PM.
    PIN:204D7C8C http://forums.delphiforums.com/Blackberrytalk
    AIM:Austinsnyc
    Yahoo:Whips_n_licks@yahoo.com
    "8100" 4.2.0.64

Quote Originally Posted by LGV2006
    Make sure you are at a location with good reception. I noticed that it timeout when I'm on a bad spot.
    This may be the cause. I also removed the battery and it seemed to work better. I just had it give me the "error encountered" message again, but I would venture to say that the reception may have been interupted.

Quote Originally Posted by mythmbhurts
    Here is an easy work around for your problem. Send yourself the email to your Yahoo or gmail account from your T-mobile. Bottom line just send it to anything other than yout Tmo.blackberry.net address. I have the same problem as you "Can't locate server" issue but when i send it to my Yahoo address it works fine eith no problems. If I senf it to myself from my Tmo.blackberry.net i het that error.
    I am the network admin for our company and I maintain our company e-mail. I was sending the pix from a@mycompanyname.com to b@mycompanyname.com, "b" being the e-mail on my Pearl. I don't have a "blackberry.net" address, at least not that I am aware of.

mythmbhurts no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204D7C8C

ok so your on BES correct? If not try sending to any other email address if you have any hooked up to your pearl to humor me if you could. I think there is a size limit on the picture but like I said some email providers have a larger size.
    PIN:204D7C8C http://forums.delphiforums.com/Blackberrytalk
    AIM:Austinsnyc
    Yahoo:Whips_n_licks@yahoo.com
    "8100" 4.2.0.64

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Also, although 496k sounds like a small number in the world of GB, that 496k is half a MB, and that actually will take a noticeable amount of time to download.

Are you also the BES admin? Perhaps there is an IT policy which is restricting the file, or the process.

The other thing about the BES email is that it's going through secure servers, and this could make it a bit slower.