Results 1 to 12 of 12

Are there any programs that will edit the 3gp files if I don't want the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

  1. #1
    alecsz's Avatar
    alecsz no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    66

    video cutting

    Advertisement



    Are there any programs that will edit the 3gp files if I don't want the whole video?

  2. #2
    melissaox's Avatar
    melissaox no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,344

    Re: video cutting

    No idea. Although there seems to be a program out there to do almost anything.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

  3. #3
    sanfrancisco's Avatar
    sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    568

    Re: video cutting

    Quote Originally Posted by alecsz
    Are there any programs that will edit the 3GP files if I don't want the whole video?
    Yes there are, but finding the right program is complicated, as some do it better than others. Moreover, most cost $75++.

    I have been looking at them for over a year now and I cannot make up my mind.

    For now I use Super C to convert files into WMV format then I use Windows Movie Maker to edit the file.

    If you have Windows Service Pack 2, you have Windows Movie Maker on your PC. It's free.


    You can give that a try if you want. Basically:

    Open Super C. Tell it you want to convert the file into WMV. Use the default settings for now.

    After you have your WMV video file open Movie Maker.

    In MM open the converted file.

    Then have fun. I am a pro at using WMV but I cannot go into it, I grow weary of all this.

    After you are done editing, save your new WMV movie. After that you can then use Super C to covert the WMV movie back to AVI format [because, for example, BB Video Converter does NOT seem to be able to convert WMV videos into the BB Pearl format].

    As to what you can do with Windows Movie Maker, here are a few small sample movies I made.

    On the Kung Fu movie I cut and pasted clips, inserted special effects, dubbed in a soundtrack that I enhanced, put in titles, credits, the Dolby intro, oriental fonts, etc., etc.

    http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/3balls.wmv

    http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/KungFuMovie14MB.wmv

    One time I even edited a 1GB 2 hour movie. So Movie Maker can do a lot. But it is the only free program out there that I know of. And anything doing something close to what it does is usually $75++
    Last edited by sanfrancisco; 10-19-2006 at 01:02 AM.

  4. #4
    apw100's Avatar
    apw100 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    11

    Re: video cutting

    go to dvdrhelp.com and then to "Tool". You might be able to find something there. Most of the stuff is free!

  5. #5
    sdowney83's Avatar
    sdowney83 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    25

    Re: video cutting

    I believe Quicktime Pro does it. For $29.99, its substantially less than 75 bucks.

  6. #6
    sanfrancisco's Avatar
    sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    568

    Re: video cutting

    Quote Originally Posted by sdowney83
    I believe Quicktime Pro does it. For $29.99, its substantially less than 75 bucks.
    I have Quicktime Pro and I am not aware that it works on anything but mov files. And I don't recall it being able to edit 3GP files or even AVI for that matter.

    In the three years that I have had Quicktime Pro I never used it much. If it does what you say it does, let me know, as that would be great, especially, as you say, for $29.99, substanially less than 75 bucks."

  7. #7
    sanfrancisco's Avatar
    sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    568

    Re: video cutting

    Quote Originally Posted by apw100
    go to dvdrhelp.com and then to "Tool". You might be able to find something there. Most of the stuff is free!
    What I am saying is that in the years that I have been doing video edits [meaning cutting, pasting, special effects, dubbing sound, credits and titles] any program that does all these things cost money.

    I am not aware of any free programs that do all these things and in my travels and reviews I have seen rudimentary programs costing about $75 to more advanced programs costing $200++.

    If any of you know of a program that does all of the above, to any video format, let us know where it is [a link] because such would be a real find.

    Preferably if you have actually used such a program and can let us know about it, that would be great.

  8. #8
    alecsz's Avatar
    alecsz no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    66

    Re: video cutting

    thank you very much sanfran... and later I might need some help editing.. would you be able to help me?
    goooooooooo BEARS

  9. #9
    sdowney83's Avatar
    sdowney83 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    25

    Re: video cutting

    Quote Originally Posted by sanfrancisco
    I have Quicktime Pro and I am not aware that it works on anything but mov files. And I don't recall it being able to edit 3GP files or even AVI for that matter.
    Simply open the video you wish to convert (mpg, mpeg, avi, mov, etc.), and under the file dropdown menu select "Export" and choose 3gp as the saving format. Ive already done it successfully... The usual problems like the controls lagging are still there. Quicktime Pro supports the H.264 encoding format as well as video editing, its one of their selling points. The version im using is 7.0.4

    apple.com/quicktime/pro/win.html

    As far as the lagging goes, I havent tried tweaking the advanced encoding settings yet, so you very well may be able to fix that problem.

    For $15 you can get the encoder seen in other posts on this forum, but for $29 you can edit and encode, and possibly with some tweaking optimize it for the pearl as well.

    attatched is a screen capture showing the exporting process as well as the ability to tweak the settings during the conversion of an .avi file to a .3gp file.

  10. #10
    sanfrancisco's Avatar
    sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    568

    Re: video cutting

    Converting is not the question of the OP or this thread, it's being able to edit, specifically cutting [and some of the other production/edit techniques I mentioned].

    Are you saying that Quicktime Pro lets one edit 3GP and other formats with splicing, cutting, special effects, titles, credits, sound dubbing, etc.?

    But it is news to me that it converts files. I thought it only worked with MOV files.

    Alas, it sounds like it has the same problems that Super C does in creating 3GP files. While they play on the Pearl, they are not the ideal format.

    The Video Creator program makes avi flles and all the on screen controls on the Pearl interface work perfect [pause, play, fast forward, rewind, volume]. So for converting, I think the BBVC works perfect.

    As for editing, I guess the search continues.



    Quote Originally Posted by sdowney83
    Simply open the video you wish to convert (mpg, mpeg, avi, mov, etc.), and under the file dropdown menu select "Export" and choose 3gp as the saving format. Ive already done it successfully... The usual problems like the controls lagging are still there. Quicktime Pro supports the H.264 encoding format as well as video editing, its one of their selling points. The version im using is 7.0.4

    apple.com/quicktime/pro/win.html

    As far as the lagging goes, I havent tried tweaking the advanced encoding settings yet, so you very well may be able to fix that problem.

    For $15 you can get the encoder seen in other posts on this forum, but for $29 you can edit and encode, and possibly with some tweaking optimize it for the pearl as well.

    attatched is a screen capture showing the exporting process as well as the ability to tweak the settings during the conversion of an .avi file to a .3gp file.
    Last edited by sanfrancisco; 10-20-2006 at 02:19 AM.

  11. #11
    sanfrancisco's Avatar
    sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    568

    Re: video cutting

    Quote Originally Posted by sdowney83
    Simply open the video you wish to convert (mpg, mpeg, avi, mov, etc.), and under the file dropdown menu select "Export" and choose 3gp as the saving format. Ive already done it successfully...
    I'm going to open Quicktime Pro and check it out. To think I have had that program for years and never knew it could convert files. Not gonna use it instead of BB Video Creator though

  12. #12
    sanfrancisco's Avatar
    sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    568

    Re: video cutting

    Quote Originally Posted by alecsz
    Are there any programs that will edit the 3GP files if I don't want the whole video?
    Actually your post has motivated me to re-investigate the video editing programs and make a purchase this weekend.

    The range of programs is vast, each seller saying theirs is the best and least complicated, only to have reviewers and users say they wasted their money.

    I'm looking for the holy grail of video editing programs, that's the trouble. It's not the money [$150 or so is what I expect to pay], I just don't want to be wasting my time on trying and tossing programs.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •