Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've seen many times on the stacks people always saying to delete the vendor file ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5

Vendor File

Advertisement

I've seen many times on the stacks people always saying to delete the vendor file when loading the os on their phone.
    What I'm trying to understand is why do this? what are the advantages in deleting the vendor file?

mikadad no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    just ask

Re: Vendor File

you do this when using another vendors OS on your BB. Your BB has hardcoded in it who it belongs to, like ATT, T-Mo. So if you are using a Rogers OS on a T-Mo phone, you delete the vendor.xml file and you can upgrade, otherwise it see's its a T-Mo phone and does not do the upgrade.
    Michael

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27

vendor file denotes what vendor the OS is usable for...if it's T-mobile's OS and you have AT&T then vendor file will keep you from installing...delete vendor file and install away

Oh I see. pretty sweet these phones. Thanks for the replies.

PIN/ID
    just ask

anytime Cap..if you have any other questions... ask away
    Michael

PIN/ID
    242E7D27

just note that just because you install another vendor's OS doesn't mean you get anything from that vendor (themes, services, ring-tones, etc.). Only your vendor's information and functionality will be usable unless you edit the Blackberry.alx file (search unlocking vendor themes)...anyways each OS release no matter what vendor releases it is usable by all you phone's vendor code just unlocks what's usable for your vendor

I was wondering about that too.Magellan.
    Another question that just came to mind is If I would put another vendors OS on my phone this in no way would have any negative effect lets say on service books from the vendor tha I purchased it from?

PIN/ID
    242E7D27

nope...say you have AT&T you can load any other carrier's OS they've released and use their OS but you can only get functionality you pay for so all your services are linked to your carrier regardless of who's OS you're running.

think of it like the internet...you pay a provider for service, no matter what computer/OS/browser you use to access the internet it all goes to the same place...provider/computer/OS/browser are all just variables that get you to the exact same place...same with cell service
    -------
    mikadad...cute baby...congrats!
    Last edited by magellan0547; 10-30-2007 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Automerged.

Thanks for clearing it all up and putting it in simple "noob" terms so that I can understand.
    you all make having a blackberry so much more enjoyable. Thanks.

PIN/ID
    242E7D27

no prob that's what we're here for...see ya round the stacks!

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

There is a way to install vendor file for the different service companies out there! I have three pearls that I unlocked from att/cingular! I updated the OS on all of them with t-mobile new OS update. You have to remove the vendor file if you want the manager to install the new OS. But If you place the vendor file back into the the folder after the manager finds the new os update, it will install the new vendor file to the blackberry. It really has no affect to what you will see or do with your phone. So your better of just deleting the vendor file!

PIN/ID
    just ask

Quote Originally Posted by magellan0547 View Post
    nope...say you have AT&T you can load any other carrier's OS they've released and use their OS but you can only get functionality you pay for so all your services are linked to your carrier regardless of who's OS you're running.

think of it like the internet...you pay a provider for service, no matter what computer/OS/browser you use to access the internet it all goes to the same place...provider/computer/OS/browser are all just variables that get you to the exact same place...same with cell service
    -------
    My niece and nephews new baby, thanks
    Michael

Prodian no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by magellan0547 View Post

-------
    I use att service with no BBS (I was unable to get/send MMS (even though I do have a text messaging plan) or get on the internet). I unlocked my phone, deleted the vendor file for T-Mo and loaded it. After it finished loading onto the phone I tried to send an MMS and it didnt work. Waited a few mins, cycled the power and my service books updated with the following which I did NOT have before

MMS Transport
    WAP2 BrowserConfig
    MMS Client
    WAP2 Transport
    Wap Push Config

Now I am able to get on the internet (pay per use of course which Im not going to use anywho) and send MMS. And again Im doing all this without BBS, which I could not do before. But what do I know this is my first post on this forum!

PIN/ID
    242E7D27

??? soooo confused as to what you're getting at prodian because you're still getting AT&T services...those new service books are from AT&T as well as your ability to send MMS and use the internet all at a fee to you...welcome to the stacks and don't be sooo smug prodian please...no one wants to help a jerk

iron07 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22bf2ae1

ok got a question? i got at&t and i put tmobil os on my phone and now i can send picture messages i dont have a data plan so now do i pay per use or is it tmobil just fixed it and at&t havent yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast