Ok, now I need help. I finally ate the bullet and tried to upgrade my ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

teleberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23F8AB7F

Upgrade didn't go as planned...

Advertisement

Ok, now I need help.
    I finally ate the bullet and tried to upgrade my tmo 8100 to rogers 1.94. Using the latest DM 4.2.2.14 and all. Got started, looked smooth and in initialization phase it suddenly says that it cannot reconnect to the blackberry and of course the whole thing fails.
    When this first happened, the screen was white with a "folder" looking icon under a black circle with a slash through it. I can't remember what error code was there.
    I unplugged and now the screen is black with he little red LED flashing occasionally.
    I have:
    Tried again
    Tried yet again
    Tried the battery out option "How To: ReInstall OS When Computer Won't Recognize The Device Is Connected"
    Several times...
    downloaded and tried to reInstall the original 0.64 tmo OS - same problem
    tried wiping with JL_cmdr
    tried wiping with java loader itself (i can't tell if either of these has actually done anything at all)
    Tried all of the above again
    I have to restart the whole computer to even have the BB noticed at all
    When I force connect through the App Loader, all goes well untill the same problem pops up

Should I just set my coffee mug down on it, resigned that it will at least make a good, but small, coaster?
    At least I have a backup phone...sigh.
    I haven't found much more info searching and searching these stacks (although I know I could continue to search deeper...), so any suggestions would be helpful.
    I suspect there is a simple "operator error" and something simple will solve my problem. Thanks in advance!!
    I hate choking on the bullet...

mcashman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32ae5c7c

Re: Upgrade didn't go as planned...

I'd give the whole "How To: ReInstall OS When Computer Won't Recognize The Device Is Connected" process a few more times. I've run into devices a few times that have done the same thing, and eventually this procedure has worked. If that fails, you could take it in to your carrier and see what they can do with it. May cost you a few bucks if you don't have the warranty, but it may be well worth it if they can fix it and you don't have to buy a new one. Good luck.

DesertBlade no está en línea Stack level 3

I hosed up my wife's phone pretty bad. I followed the steps and wiped it with Javaloader. Took 3 times until I got it to work. Follw the steps carefully (I messed them up the first time). Be sure to Uninstall both Rogers and T-mobile )from add/remove programs) first. The install the version you want (I recommend Rogers) and delete the xml. Then follow the steps in Reinstall when computer won't recognize.

PIN/ID
    23F8AB7F

Thanks! I'll keep trying if I ever get out of the office today....
    Another question about java loader and JL_cmdr: When I try to wipe the device with these, nothing seems to happen. Is there an indicator or should I just wait a period of time? Maybe I am not getting it right, it's been know to happen to me...

reesemachine no está en línea Stack level 2

Ouch....honestly, if you've tried several times and the handheld is not recognized; then, well, you're gonna have to contact your carrier and request a replacement. Assuming the device is under warranty, it'd be free.

Out of our devices, the OS reinstall has worked 90% of the time in this scenario; but we've had to bite the bullet and just get a replacement in those cases where it was just toast.

Keep everyone posted...hang in there
    Last edited by reesemachine; 06-01-2007 at 03:06 PM.

You must not be using JavaLoader correctly, it gives a message (I wihs I could remember it).

Here is how I got it to work. Remove Battery from BB, connect it to USB.

Open up Desktop Manager, goto Options-> Connection Settings and choose USB

Open CMD prompt were Javaloader is installed.

javaloader -usb wipe

It will give you a message about processing and takes a good 5-10 minutes.

Good Luck!

Good thread here: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._step_fix.html

PIN/ID
    23F8AB7F

Thanks again! If I ever get home I will get right on it.
    I didn' really need my BB today, it hardly works when I am running around the hospital anyway, the place is too shielded, but somehow, I just feel naked without it...I hope I can revive to poor thing.

PIN/ID
    23F8AB7F

Hmmm, came home and tried again. Working fine so far. Wierd, I haven't done anything different. I wish I could say I have learned something from this, other than loading OS on these things is like playing roulette...
    Now I have the 0.64 on again. I may as well see if i can get the 1.94 to go...jumping right back in!!!

I only upraded OSes twice, I tried to remove packages that I didn't need and that is what hosed me up. Sticking to the default and just unchecking boxes on install, well at least for now.

PIN/ID
    23F8AB7F

Yeah, same thing. Now it's working great with the 1.94!
    Why do computers hate me so much?!

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

congrats Glad all is well!
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!