I'm just wondering if an OS update will erase my phone, including texts, etc and ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

gorcorps no está en línea Stack level 3

Updating the OS will erase everything on my 8100 right?

Advertisement

I'm just wondering if an OS update will erase my phone, including texts, etc and start from scratch?

Also, since I'm on AT&T will I have any problems updating to the latest Rogers OS and not the AT&T specific?

jbean7916 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    245A99C3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~just do a back-up before you load the new OS and all your stuff will be fine!

You need to delete the vendor file for the Rogers OS to work but other than that you shouldn't have any problems!!

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    I have never had to back up....it does it automatically....but if you are worried, do as jbean says and you'll be fine. Make sure to save the "backup" somewhere where you can easily find it if you have to ever use it.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

My next questions were going to be, how do I delete the vendor file and how to I back up my texts?

But I found out how to do both with some searching, so thanks for your help!

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    Glad you got it figured out gorcorps! Let us know if you need any further help.

bazz7777777 no está en línea Stack level 1
    i have a question i have a 8100 with 4.2 os on it, now it was on O2 but i have had it unlocked and now have it working on vodaphone. i have just got my hands on the 4.5 beta os, now if i put it on will it still be open to any network

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7
    Quote Originally Posted by bazz7777777 View Post
    i have a question i have a 8100 with 4.2 os on it, now it was on O2 but i have had it unlocked and now have it working on vodaphone. i have just got my hands on the 4.5 beta os, now if i put it on will it still be open to any network
    Yes, you will still be open to any network. once unlocked you stay unlocked. But be careful with the "beta" versions floating around out there. They have been buggy as well as causing the phone to crash in some cases. Don't get me wrong, i myself am running 4.5 beta on my 8100 but just know what you are walking into ahead of time. Here is a link to the discussion on 4.5 issues.Hope it helps.

just read some of the posts, call me a wimp if you like, but ill think ill stick with 4.2, i dont have the internet on anyway so i dont think ill have that much change anyway

jack no está en línea Stack level 2
    Bazz
    I've had major problems getting an o2 branded handset unlocked and registered with vodafone .how did you do it? o2 shops say they cannot help me and vodafone stores refer me to o2 Grrrrrrrrrr!

i brought it of ebay unlocked, the lady i picked it up from said the O2 shop unlocked it, i also have a print out from the O2 shop to prove it, it still has the O2 spash screen on when it boots up but after that nothing to say that it was on O2, i have tried vodaphone sim, and a orange sim both work great. The only thing i can suggest you try a differant O2 shop as some have arse holes running them. Hope that helps

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7
    Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    Bazz
    I've had major problems getting an o2 branded handset unlocked and registered with vodafone .how did you do it? o2 shops say they cannot help me and vodafone stores refer me to o2 Grrrrrrrrrr!
    If the carrier you got the phone from (O2) won't help you and the carrier your with says they can't help you the only real option you have to unlock the phone is to find an online service that will get you the code. Google search unlock code and you should find some providers. Don't know any that are reliable as I have not used them myself. Hope it helps.

or like eddie says try a online service, the only problem with online ones they send you the code after you have payed, and there is a chance you may pick a dodge one that has your money and sends you NO code, happened to me once when i tryed a online site to unlock my 6680.

jack no está en línea Stack level 2
    thanks guys , have received the latching code but it doesnt seem to work....

your best bet jack is to try another O2 shop, thats the only sure fire way, if you really want it unlocked

nm...
    Last edited by gorcorps; 05-06-2008 at 04:44 PM.