Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

I have only had my BB for one month and I am thinking of upgrading ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Sherobin no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2157E9CE

Lightbulb Updating BB

Advertisement

I have only had my BB for one month and I am thinking of upgrading the software etc.

Anyway I went to my carrier's site (Vodafone UK) and followed the instructions from this site. I downloaded the desktop manager. There were two versions 4.5 and 4.6. I was not sure which one to download so I downloaded 4.5 as I see most people talking about 4.5 on here.

Then I selected my BB from the drop down arrow (i.e. 8110) and downloaded the most recent version which was 4.5.xx.81 or something like that.

My question is before I decide to upload this to my BB, can somebody please tell me whether I was supposed to download Destop Manager 4.5 or 4.6. I dont want to do it wrong otherwise I know I will panic and make a complete mess of it.

Also when I downloaded the handheld device software it saved to my desktop and i double-clicked it and it said something about ready to install. I was not sure if I was supposed to do this as I had not plugged in my BB to the pc yet.

Can somebody please help me as I have been pondering over this all weekend and really wanted to get it done tonight if possible. Also it took nearly 2hours to download both applications on my pc. I have no idea why either but it was running at a really low rate like 16kb/psec or something along those lines.

Please help me!???

P.S. I downloaded the version without media manager as I dont now what that is anyway. I already have media on my phone.
    Last edited by Sherobin; 10-26-2008 at 07:28 PM.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    You should be fine with either DM but I would go with 4.6. You have to install the OS to your PC and then when you open desktop manager it will recognize your BB and begin the update. Since it is your carriers OS it should be very easy to get this down in 30 to 45 minutes and there are plenty of people here to answer any questions you may have.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Sherobin,

Go to your Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs (Programs and Features if you're on Vista). Make sure you have BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.5 and BlackBerry Device Software 4.5 installed on the PC. If so, go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader and delete the vendor.xml file. Connect your device to the PC, launch the DM and it should let you know you have an upgrade ready to go.

Cheers!
    Roger

Good call, Randy. Didn't see that it he's a Vodafone user and the OS is from Vodafone. Carry on!

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Sherobin,

Go to your Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs (Programs and Features if you're on Vista). Make sure you have BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.5 and BlackBerry Device Software 4.5 installed on the PC. If so, go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader and delete the vendor.xml file. Connect your device to the PC, launch the DM and it should let you know you have an upgrade ready to go.

Cheers!
    Roger
    Is there a need to delete vendor.xml if its from carrier?

Nope, that's what I was sayin' "good call" about!

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Nope, that's what I was sayin' "good call" about!
    Lol @ our post getting crossed up.

PIN/ID
    2157E9CE
    Thanks for all quick responses. Therefore it is definitely okay to go with Desktop Manager 4.5 and Device Software 4.5.0.81 will work together. Is that what you are saying and as soon as I plug in my BB to pc it will automatically do it or will it give me a chance to back up first.

One other question before I start, I have opened DM, what button do i need to click on to start the upgrade. Is it the Application Loader one?

P.S. I am female, lol...
    I will make sure I do a backup before I start.

Since you already have 4.5 downloaded, you'll be okay, but Randy (and I) would recommend 4.6. Once you launch the DM, you shouldn't have to do anything. It will automatically check for the upgrade and do a backup in the process.

Good luck, Sher!

PIN/ID
    2157E9CE
    lol I am going to need it I am so nervous cos I know if I mess up I will probably cry...

Will post back once I have done it.

LOL! You'll be fine! Just be patient. Could take awhile.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherobin View Post
    lol I am going to need it I am so nervous cos I know if I mess up I will probably cry...

Will post back once I have done it.
    Being from your Carrier it should be very easy. Good luck . And RoGro i think he is a she...lol

Yes, she mentioned that already! LOL!

Good luck, Sher! You'll be fine.....

Roger

PIN/ID
    2157E9CE
    No I wont be, I was just trying to back up and I got error backing up databases. What should I do now as I should back up before I update surely.

Make note of the database it's erroring out on and let us know.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast