I have an unlocked T-Mobile Pearl being used on Fido (Canadian Carrier) and I want ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

sirka no está en línea Stack level 1

Updatign Firmware Quick Q's

Advertisement

I have an unlocked T-Mobile Pearl being used on Fido (Canadian Carrier) and I want to update the firmware version. I have following Q's:

1) What is the optimal firmware to upgrade?
    2) How do firmwares differ between carriers (i.e. Rogers & T-Mobile)
    3) WIll updating firmware to same carrier or a different carrier lock up the phone to that network?

Thnx in advance

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: Updatign Firmware Quick Q's

Quote Originally Posted by sirka View Post
    I have an unlocked T-Mobile Pearl being used on Fido (Canadian Carrier) and I want to update the firmware version. I have following Q's:

1) What is the optimal firmware to upgrade?
    2) How do firmwares differ between carriers (i.e. Rogers & T-Mobile)
    3) WIll updating firmware to same carrier or a different carrier lock up the phone to that network?

Thnx in advance
    1) Usually the latest OS. I would suggest anything later then 4.2.1.101
    2) They really do not other then bug fixes and small enhancements. All software comes from RIM and are basically equal. Only limited by the carrier and what version it is ( ie 4.2.1.101, 4.2.1.103, 4.2.1.107 and 4.2.1.108 are virtually identical.)
    3) No. It will not lock it to that carrier. Different carriers have different options (ie PTT, My Faves, etc) but the OS is All the same.

Hope it helps.

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Updatign Firmware Quick Q's

addon question for number 3, does updating firmware set the service records?

I have real issues with my one carrier (telenor) not having BIS capability, but telenor got a swedish update. However I'm in norway.
    Just wonder if it could help to flash the phone to their firmware, instead of the OS that came from my carrier I bought the phone from (trigcom)