is it a good idea to upgrade my 8120 from o/s v4.5.0.37 platform 2.7.0.55 to ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

remmy123 no está en línea Stack level 1

update o/s

Advertisement

is it a good idea to upgrade my 8120 from o/s v4.5.0.37 platform 2.7.0.55 to 4.5.0.55 that shows with a different carrier if my phone is locked to rogers? rogers shows it as i have the latest one but i noticed a o/s with a higher version> don't want to ruin something

HeavyComponent no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    TP2 :D
    ONLY upgrade for your device! Doesn't matter where it comes from.
    T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro2 & I'm not coming back! :D

--HeavyC.

puppylove no está en línea Stack level 2
    Remmy, Heavy's right. The OS if for the specific device and, if you want to upgrade, you need a little time and patience to do it and some experience with the device as well. If you know your BB well, give it a try.
    What goes around, comes around.

thanks the o/s is for the same blackberry model but was from a different provider so i take i t that it would not be a good move to update with any of this one
    8120 - 4.5.0.55 it won't let me post the names of the links but i found it here under the o/s link

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    You should wait until the carriers sign off on the OS (there's a reason they go through a technical approval process). One of them being that all of their networks are tuned differently.

sounds good thanks for all the replys everyone

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I have T-Mobile and I'm using the newest upgrade 4.0.5.55 from East Asia carriers. In all honesty, the carrier is irrelevant. The software is designed specifically for your device, not necessarily the carrier. The only thing you will need to make sure you do when you upgrade, is look for the vendor.xml file located in the install package and delete it. Otherwise you'll lock your phone to a totally different carrier. As always though, use DM and make a backup of your phone prior to upgrading.

So in my opinion, grab the newest OS HERE, read the guide on upgrading,HERE, and have fun with YouTube, DocstoGo, and the latest themes.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    First, carrier testing is relevant (unfortunately, not all carriers necessarily qualify for their own patches) - but all significant carriers certainly go through a TA. If you grab a bundle from a small carrier in AsiaPac it may have a large number of characteristics that are less than ideal on the NA EDGE or 3G networks.
    Secondly, not deleting the vendor.xml won't lock you to a carrier...but your phone is branded to a specific carrier - this, in turn with DM and the vendor.xml pick what items & themes should be available for your device.

You can often get away with running "unblessed" code...but, don't be surprised if you find some things don't behave the way they should.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridicule View Post
    You should wait until the carriers sign off on the OS (there's a reason they go through a technical approval process). One of them being that all of their networks are tuned differently.
    Remi, Just another opposing view, I'm with T-Mobile and I haven't run a "T-Mobile approved" OS in 9 months. Many haven't in years.

If you want to upgrade to a release and you feel you're ready, just make sure that it's for your specific device and you can use it. You can also read the threads in here to get an idea of just how stable it is - many of us stay fairly well "up" on the latest OS releases.

The latest officially released OS's are available here and the instructions are here. Don't get ahead of yourself but go when you think you're ready and have a little time to spend with it. Make sure that you're really familiar with your BB before you do and you'll be fine. Good luck.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Going to go with Jblackfish and Heavy on this one. I've been running a non-TMobile OS for quite some time now and have been error free. Most of the 4.5 versions coming out now are stable releases, rather then beta. The betas I always warn people are use at your own risk as they have the potential to really brick your device. Read the guide on upgrading, make a backup, and install it if this is really what you want to do. As long as you pay attention, you'll find it's amazingly simple.

For the record, I've used OS' from 4 different carriers, including Rogers and UK Orange. If you were to delve into the actual install files, you'd find code that installs the necessary components based off of your carrier and network capabilities. So the OS' are more or less universal to carriers, BUT specific to devices.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS