Hi everybody, BB noob here with a question about an 8120 I recently purchased. I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

iN10Se no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Unlocked BB 8120 Problem

Advertisement

Hi everybody,

BB noob here with a question about an 8120 I recently purchased.

I purchased it second hand off of someone at another forum. The description stated "unlocked" so I jumped on the offer. I received it earlier today and it isn't recognizing my Fido sim card. I did the whole MEPD sequence in Advanced Options of Sim Card and it says that the Network is Active, which means it is indeed locked? I contacted the seller and he assured me that he had it working, so he definitely didnt try to pull a fast one on me. This particular 8120 has a Rogers firmware on it as well, which I dont quite get (mainly because Rogers doesnt even carry the 8120). Im not sure what the previous carrier is either (The housing is unbranded).

Any help or information on how to get this working or where to go from here will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

PS. It is indeed an 8120 as well, WiFi works like a charm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

penpower no está en línea Stack level 3
    1. the seller either lied about the phone being unlocked or he didn't know what he was talking about. If the network lock is active, then it is locked.

2. I guess the seller unlocked the rogers theme that came with the OS, so you "though" it has rogers branded OS/firmware. The carrier's logo first comes up when you boot your 8120 is the original carrier that phone is locked to. I highly doubted the first boot up screen shows Rogers logo as Rogers only carry 8110 as we speak. BTW, do you see any other carrier's logo on the bottom? it should have something like "tmobile", "att", "O2", and etc.

Contact the seller and state what I mentioned above. If he can't get it unlocked, demand for refund or at least partial refund due to cost of getting the unlock code yourself.

It definitely has a Rogers splash screen, which almost led me to believe it was a prototype perhaps? I see no other information while booting. Definitely weird ><

Ive contacted the seller, and he said he would pay for unlocking, but I guess im just trying to get some credible information before I throw some money away. The housing isnt branded either, so I dont know if thats a clue as well. Is it possible for other firmware's to be used?

Thanks in advance for the help!

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    wow! even a rogers OS won't make the splash screen rogers...

this is very very interesting considering, like you said, rogers doesn't even carry the 8120.

i would go with having the seller pay to unlock it. not sure on rogers policy, but if you knew someone that had rogers, could you get them to call to get the unlock code for you?

Yeah, im all out of ideas as well. Its frustrating cause I just wanna use this damn thing lol. I uploaded a video of the phone booting up.

When I ask for an unlock code, do they need the previous carrier information? Or can it be done with just the IMEI? I obviously dont know who the previous carrier was so hopefully it can be done.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    That's so interesting, I almost forgot there can be a chance of prototype or test unit. Does the imei start with 00?

Sorry, can't watch the video right now, will do it when get home.

The IMEI does start with 00. What does that mean?

Blackberry_8100 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have the same problem with my blackberry 8120

Quote Originally Posted by iN10Se View Post
    The IMEI does start with 00. What does that mean?
    prototype or test unit issued by RIM. Get your money back ASAP, they are not supposed to be sold to public. I don't think Rogers will release the unlock code of a test unit to you, or is it possible to get a unlock code for a test unit?
    Last edited by penpower; 03-26-2008 at 02:14 AM.

I purchased an unlock code off a local seller which i'll be receiving tonight. I told him my situation and luckily if it doesn't work, he'll be giving me a refund. I'll keep you guys updated.

TurboVolvo no está en línea Stack level 1
    Guys, I sold this unit to him, and it sucks that it's not working.

I had no clue it's a prototype, that's not how I got it either.

I had it working on rogers without any issues, BIS and voice no problems.

I updated the firmware because the WIFI wasn't working previously.

Any other solutions?

Welcome! lol

Unfortunately an unlock code couldn't be generated from my IMEI