ok, so i just bought an unlocked 8120 for AT&T and the only reason i ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

tybo480 no está en línea Stack level 1

Unlocked 8120 Wi-Fi

Advertisement

ok, so i just bought an unlocked 8120 for AT&T and the only reason i did it was for the Wi-Fi. the only problem is the browser im trying to use does not let me connect. i am connected to the network though. is there a different browser i can download so i can use the web. also, i do not have a data package, but that shouldn't matter with WiFi, should it?

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    The browser that comes with the OS should let you browse the internet as long as you're connected via wi-fi. Do you see the UMA at the top-right of the display? If not you're not connected. What msg do you get when you execute the BB browser.

To answer your question, you may be able to use Opera browswer but that may be an OS-dependent feature - can't remember.

In open your brower window, press menu, scroll to options> browser configuration and make sure that "browser" is set to "hotspot browswer" and emulation mode should be set to "Microsoft IE."
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

dclawyer no está en línea Stack level 3
    You need to select HotSpot Browser in the browser options. That will use the WiFi connection instead of your mobile providers network.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    ATT does not come with a just hot-spot browser that I am aware of.

Edit: It is one option @ the top of the options page, my mistake.
    Last edited by thbassman; 09-11-2008 at 04:44 PM.
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

ironzeppelin04 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask me=)

Question

Do you have to buy an unlocked phone to use WiFi?

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    No, you don't need an unlocked phone to use Wi-Fi. Under Options>Manage Connections, make sure Wi-Fi is checked as enabled and all you'll need is an actual Wi-Fi signal to get connected.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

mitchsurp no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    246F0115
    What error message do you get?

citymotors no está en línea Stack level 2
    Hello! I do not have a blackberry with wifi. I have an 8130. My daughter is in the Navy and needs a phone. I like the idea of wifi. One question though...... not to sound stupid..... do you have to chose between the network connection or your wifi connection or will it automatically take the wifi connection when available? Thanks!

mitchsurp no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    246F0115
    Quote Originally Posted by citymotors View Post
    Hello! I do not have a blackberry with wifi. I have an 8130. My daughter is in the Navy and needs a phone. I like the idea of wifi. One question though...... not to sound stupid..... do you have to chose between the network connection or your wifi connection or will it automatically take the wifi connection when available? Thanks!
    It depends on your needs, and if you mean data or voice. Contrary to popular belief, UMA is only for voice, not for data. There is an option to make Wifi your preferred service for data, or your only service for data.

If you need to authenticate with the wireless network, it will not automatically jump over on first connect.