I was sort of blogging my progress on this problem in the general forum, but ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Kortanis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AA980E

Uncaught Exception - ControlledAccessException - *Fix*

Advertisement

I was sort of blogging my progress on this problem in the general forum, but now that I seem to have fixed it for good here it is.

After having to manually remove google talk I started encountering this error. It seems it was indirectly related to that event. This error would pop up right after a fresh boot and after I unlocked the keypad.

"Uncaught exception: net.rim.device.api.system.ControlledAccessExceptio n"

This appears to happen when certain security settings have either been changed incorrectly or corrupted. You fix this by doing the following:

1. If you have recently modified any security permissions, given an application new permissions, or installed/uninstalled a program; start by checking the security permissions for that application by going into Options\Security Options\Application Permissions\.

2. Then highlight the application and select Edit Permissions from the menu.

3. Then you can do one of two things. If you remember what you recently changed then change it back, if you cannot then 'Apply Defaults' and 'Reset Firewall Prompts'. This will revert the applications permissions back to what they were when it was installed.

4. If you cannot remember the application you can do the above steps to each of the applications listed until it is fixed.

After you are done, peform a battery pull and you should boot up just fine from now on. If not then you missed it the first time, go back and try resetting a different application's permissions until you've found the right one.

I would recommend creating a new backup as well, that way the faulty settings don't make it back onto your device.

Hope this helps someone!
    Last edited by Kortanis; 06-01-2007 at 06:42 PM.

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Re: Uncaught Exception - ControlledAccessException - *Fix*

Great info Thanks
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Glad you finally got everything going Kortanis!

Kortanis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AA980E

Yeah, it took a while, but it's smooth sailing now. Thanks for your help.

On a side note, anyone know why the last letter in that error message won't post without the space before it. When I edit it's fine. I'd like it to work in the forum search. I'll check to see if it works or not..

*edit* that error message in this thread is not searchable....
    However someone else was having the same problem a week ago, I'll linking him to here.
    Last edited by Kortanis; 06-01-2007 at 06:47 PM.

Fithin no está en línea Stack level 1

I just did a update to my phone via the usb/computer and was getting the same message. I did the above and it seems to have fixed it. On a side note I kept getting a message saying gmail/google was trying to access my phone logs...why would they want that lol? Again thanks!!!!!!

*UPDATE* Guess it didnt work I still get the exception usually after a phone call/text message. But before I get the message I get a warning that google/gmail is trying to access my phone log. I hit yes/no and the exception comes up. Followed the above directions to a T. Under applications I have gmail and oz. Started after I did a OS update via Tmobile (my carrier) using my computer/usb. Any advice would be sweeet.

This site is a lifesaver thanks for all the hard work
    Last edited by Fithin; 10-10-2007 at 07:05 PM.

tweezak no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Fithin View Post
    I just did a update to my phone via the usb/computer and was getting the same message. I did the above and it seems to have fixed it. On a side note I kept getting a message saying gmail/google was trying to access my phone logs...why would they want that lol? Again thanks!!!!!!

*UPDATE* Guess it didnt work I still get the exception usually after a phone call/text message. But before I get the message I get a warning that google/gmail is trying to access my phone log. I hit yes/no and the exception comes up. Followed the above directions to a T. Under applications I have gmail and oz. Started after I did a OS update via Tmobile (my carrier) using my computer/usb. Any advice would be sweeet.

This site is a lifesaver thanks for all the hard work
    I'm seeing the same thing. Any more ideas?

Thanks!

BTW...8820/AT&T/BIS

tweezak no está en línea Stack level 2

Ok...I think I solved it.

My problem was linked to the certificate status. The Gmail certificate was not trusted and for some reason, the on-the-fly status approval wasn't working. So, I went to options/Security Options/Certificates and found the certificate for mail.google.com was not trusted (big red X). So, I selected it and said picked "trust" from the menu. I was prompted for my key store pass and the red X turned to a yellow question mark.

I went back and logged into Gmail again and it worked!

Hope this helps!

- Keith

knightberlin no está en línea Stack level 2
    Kortanis >

Had this problem recently and found this thread.

Thanks for posting this fix!

dtucker230 no está en línea Stack level 2

Great Advice on Application Permissions Fix

Kortanis, thank you, this worked great for my Docs to Go app!

oliverikawood no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks a lot. I was setting Deny connection for my Gmail application when going overseas (somehow to avoid roaming) then I forgot to put it back