I think I'm returning my 8100... I really wanted to like it; coming from Palm, ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

markvibari no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Uncaught errors & (endless) reboot loop

Advertisement

I think I'm returning my 8100...

I really wanted to like it; coming from Palm, I had no problem with Suretype. My problem is OS instability. Friday, I installed GoogleTalk, but couldn't get it to log me in, so I decided to remove it. What a mess. No simple uninstall. Had to mess with service books and modules. After following the KB article, the 8100 began throwing ArrayExection and NullPointer errors. I spent 4 HOURS on the phone with RIM. We backed up my data, reinstalled the OS and restored the data.

I was tired, but (somewhat) happy again. Yesterday evening, I installed Berry411. Everything looked OK. I turned the unit off last night. This morning, when I turned it on, it threw a generic Uncaught Error. Uh oh. Just to test the unit, I pulled the battery and hard booted it. It came back up with a "JVM Error 529". I hit continue and it's been in an endless reboot loop ever since (an hour!).

Now my only concern is to get this POS stable enough to delete my data so I can return it.

I'm really disappointed and more than a little pissed.
    Last edited by markvibari; 09-24-2006 at 04:18 PM.

BBadBoy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    4010DD80

Re: Uncaught errors & (endless) reboot loop

That's distressing to hear. One of the best things about BlackBerrys has always been the stability of the OS. I wonder if maybe you just got a defective unit. That has been known to happen.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

sanjeevjoshi no está en línea Stack level 2

Three suggestions until OS /core SW upgrade

Naw, its just a less than stable OS/core SW. I have had three previous generations of the Berry, and migrated them through multiple OS/core SW upgrades and third party app installs. The Pearl SW is still an early Beta. I believe OS/core SW upgrades should be arriving in the next several weeks, given the types of issues people are having. In the meantime, here's my three tips if you want to keep it (which I did, and I migrated from a perfectly working 8700 - I love the 8100):

1. Dont install any third party apps - will likely cause issues. if you need to install, keep them to an absolute minimum

2. Avoid using the "standby" mode - most users reporting java errors (like me) were trying to get the device out of the standby mode

3. If you feel a bit adventurous, try deleting a java file - net_rim_tmo_five.cod --> No idea what this does, I just deleted it on a hunch (since it is labeled TMO, I figured some operator specific SW not core to RIM). That has gotten the java errors down to nothing or "rare" occurrence for me.

Re: Three suggestions until OS /core SW upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by sanjeevjoshi
    Naw, its just a less than stable OS/core SW. I have had three previous generations of the Berry, and migrated them through multiple OS/core SW upgrades and third party app installs. The Pearl SW is still an early Beta. I believe OS/core SW upgrades should be arriving in the next several weeks, given the types of issues people are having. In the meantime, here's my three tips if you want to keep it (which I did, and I migrated from a perfectly working 8700 - I love the 8100):

1. Dont install any third party apps - will likely cause issues. if you need to install, keep them to an absolute minimum

2. Avoid using the "standby" mode - most users reporting java errors (like me) were trying to get the device out of the standby mode

3. If you feel a bit adventurous, try deleting a java file - net_rim_tmo_five.cod --> No idea what this does, I just deleted it on a hunch (since it is labeled TMO, I figured some operator specific SW not core to RIM). That has gotten the java errors down to nothing or "rare" occurrence for me.
    I've thought that I might have a lemon and the the problems only occur when I install 3rd pary apps, but to give up my Clie, I need to have a unit capable of doing a similar job. The native apps just aren't enough. Part of the lure of this device was the ability to load adddditional software. Besides, the two apps are very popular ones. In fact, the links were on the blackberry page itself.

I've seen this suggestion (deleting the .cod file) of yours elsewhere as well. At this point, I'm willing to try it, but I can't get the unit to stop rebooting! It's been going on for the past 5 hours! It never fully loads the OS; it just goes from hourglass to reboot and back... endlessly.

Any suggestions on how to break out of this loop would be greatfully appreciated!

UPDATE: Nevermind. After talking with RIM support and determining that there was no way to revive this unit, I've gone ahead and cancelled my Blackberry service with T-Mobile and have fallen back to my previous phone. As I said, I *really* wanted this device to work. I wanted it to work so badly that I broke my own rule about never buying v1.0 of anything. Unfortunately, instability of the OS was a deal-breaker.

Now I'm waiting for v2.0.

Good Luck, and thanks for your hospitality!

- Mark
    Last edited by markvibari; 09-24-2006 at 08:31 PM.

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5

You must have a defective unit, maybe both of you, I dont have any problems with any 3rd party apps on the 8100 works just as good as my 8700, using berry 411, verichat, google maps, bb weather, Uguide mobile, pico news,

Either you guys have defective units or I got really lucky and got a good one lol

Sorry about your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by dfc420
    You must have a defective unit, maybe both of you, I dont have any problems with any 3rd party apps on the 8100 works just as good as my 8700, using berry 411, verichat, google maps, bb weather, Uguide mobile, pico news,

Either you guys have defective units or I got really lucky and got a good one lol

Sorry about your problems.
    I called RIM support and they emailed me a DOS-based java loader to wipe the unit, but since the OS nevers loads, the utility couldn't connect with the device. They said all I could do was ship it back for a replacement unit. I considered doing that, but my two days of experience with the 8100 has been 0 for 2. Each of the two applications I tried loading caused errors so severe as to warrant wiping the device and starting from scratch. Today's error couldn't even be recovered from at all. I'm really surprised that there's no key-combination that if pressed while hard-booting will wipe the machine back to a baseline configuration, similar to what I can do on the Palm.

In 6+ years of Palm ownership, while I *have* loaded apps that have caused a variety of errors, I haven't loaded any that have corrupted the OS so badly that tech support couldn't access it (actually, I never needed to contact tech support at all). More imporantly, to the best of my knowledge, the OS itself cannot be modified by loading an application.

I would still like to migrate to a Pearl-like device, but I think that I'm going to wait until the OS is either more stable (or at least more isolated from loaded applications), or until a similar device from another vendor hits the market.
    Last edited by markvibari; 09-24-2006 at 09:37 PM.

sphinx588 no está en línea Stack level 1

I got the same issue after I deleted a 3rd party software. My 8700c keeps rebooting. I have been using palm and smartphone and never had similar issue before.

Any one know any solution for that?

Thanks.