Got a 8220 a couple days ago. One of the reasons is to use the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

claykin no está en línea Stack level 2

UMA not so good!!

Advertisement

Got a 8220 a couple days ago. One of the reasons is to use the UMA service in my home sicne I have fairly weak coverage inside (its OK outside).

I got UMA up and running very easily. It actually works fairly well when its connected and when transitioning from EDGE to UMA during calls. Where it falls flat on its face is when tryign to transition calls from UMA to EDGE. 9 out of 10 calls will drop within 2 secodns of me walking out the front door of my house.

Keep in mind that with no UMA I get around -85,-89db signal as soon as I exit my house (or if I stand next to a window). Its inside that the signal sometimes weakens to -100db or less.

I tried botht he .151 and the newer .174 firmware with the same result. Have tried 3 wifi routers thusfar and all 3 give the exact same result. TMo support won't help me further unless I try their router. Based on my experience, and reading general user experiences with UMA, many people seem to complain about UMA to EDGE handoffs even with the TMo router. The Blackberry 8330 seems to have fewer complaints than some other handsets, so that makes me say "hmmm".

Do I bother to try the TMo Linksys router or will this UMA just not work the way I expect it to (and the way TMo advertises it)?

DriftorX no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask me!!
    Alot of it has to do with your routers QOS settings.. Tweak them out and should be in a good state. I personally am trying to find a person that actually has one of TMO routers to see the settings they have in it. I personally dont have any issues using UMA with my setup but being as UMA is basically using Voip then tweaking your QOS settings will help. Give that a try before buying a device that you can already do with what you already have.

Thanks. I'm aware fo the QOS requirement.

I have tried a Dlink DIR-655 which is known to be an excellent QOS router. I've had 2 different firmware revisions, played with just about every setting and tried both WMM and the DLink QOS engine. Same luck no matter what I did.

I also tried a Linksys WRT54G with the latest firmware and also tried the DD-WRT firmware. Same thing.

Today I was at one of my offices and I also tried UMA there. We have a Cisco 802.11g Wifi setup. UMA worked beautfully but had the exact same issue handing off from UMA to EDGE. It dropped 2 of the 3 times I tried it. What makes this extra bad is that the EDGE network in that area is really strong. I get -58db signal outdoors and about -70 indoors.

I've also tried a hard set IP in the phone instead of dynamic. No joy!

I'm convinced that either this 8220 has firmware issues or TMobile's UMA setup in South Florida is FUBAR.

An update. Still not proeprly handing off from UMA to EDGE. Spoke with TMo's support for quite a while yesterday. Blackberry inhouse support, RIM support and UMA support.

All 3 told me that UMA has a known issue with slow handoff's from UMA to EDGE. They had me test it by walking very very very slowly towards the edge of my UMA coverage to see if it would reliably switch to EDGE. It did about 75% of the time.

Unfortunately, I would need to hop on the back of a turtle for this to be useful in the real world.

The UMA support supervisor told me this is their #1 complaint. Even higher than people who just can't figure out how to setup a router. Go figure!

He had no clue when and if this will improve in the future.

Anyone else have different results than me?