Hello, first ever posting to any forum so be kind. I've read FAQs and various ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

liamy no está en línea Stack level 1

UK O2 Pearl 8120 as phone only with wi-fi?

Advertisement

Hello,
    first ever posting to any forum so be kind.
    I've read FAQs and various threads but can't quite get an answer to my problem.

Bought a BB Pearl 8120 in O2 shop in Edinburgh UK last week. Just got an O2 phone contract, no sort of data plan with Blackberry. Guys in shop sold it as a phone with wi-fi. Suits me. I want the BB for Task Management with wi-fi for web browsing, including web-based email.

Device is great at finding wi-fi access points and I can do all the WEP/WPA security stuff. The currently connected access point appears nicely on the front screen. But under 'Manage Connections' the Wi-fi never gets to a nice green tick. It's always amber with a '-' sign. Any time I try Wi-fi Browser or Opera they take a while to try to connect and then tell me 'Unable to connect to Internet'.

Thought I had found solution with O2 UK APN details to enter under TCP settings but made no difference. Starting to believe 8120 can't be used with wi-fi without some sort of BB plan too. Unfortunately, O2 shop and phone support staff know nothing about this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions from those who know more than O2 staff.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: UK O2 Pearl 8120 as phone only with wi-fi?

My understanding with the Tmo 8320 is you needed the BB data plan to get the service books that allow you to use web browsing and such over wifi.

I have not actually tried it without the bb data plan.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

liamy no está en línea Stack level 1

Au revoir Blackberry

Thanks for the reply melissaox.
    It does look like the 8120 here is not really a consumer phone with wi-fi. I'm giving it another 24 hours to find out some way of making it work without a data plan. Then I'll be returning it within the 14 days cooling-off period. I'll either wait for a network and BB to offer an open phone with wi-fi or, more likely, go with one of the HTC handsets (despite Windows mobile).