Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good morning stackers I'm going on holiday soon and obviously don't want to be without ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

DomConway no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Turn off email but have all other apps available?

Advertisement

Good morning stackers

I'm going on holiday soon and obviously don't want to be without my 8110, however it would be nice not to be disturbed by work emails. Is there a way I can keep all the functionality (including SMS) but switch off email? I tried separating the SMS & email inboxes and hiding the email inbox icon, however I can't get the unread message indicator to switch off. If I set it to None in options, it doesn't show the count but still shows a folder icon with a red asterisk to indicate a new email has arrived.

Any thoughts that would help me have a relaxed holiday much appreciated!

Bluebell Wood no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Options > network, set data services to off.

This turns off email, browser, application use etc.

If however you still wish to browse and perhaps receive personal email you could ask your company to temporarily disable your work email.

I would definitely still want to use browser and apps, just not email. Unfortunately asking work to disable my email isn't a possibility.

Bluebell Wood no está en línea Stack level 3

Ok. To turn the message indicator off open your messages inbox hit menu key select options, general settings and set new message indicator to 'No'.

Have a great holiday

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com

Easiest way to do this is to delete the service book to the account you don't want to receive the emails. Then when you get back just resend them. Although you will have a back log of emails when you resend the service books.

LLceleb no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    what reddog said
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tmobile
    BOLD

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro
    BES email might not (shouldn't) come in if you delete Desktop[CMIME], but BIS email is sent to the PIN regardless of whether or not you delete the service books.

To stop BIS email you'd have to delete the accounts in the BIS setup to stop it from being sent at the source.
    JerryD

fstbusa no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3054210e

Not sure if you're on bis or bes but you could log into your account if you have bis and change the password and that way you wouldn't have to delete the account and you wouldn't receive email. Change it back when you get back in the office.

Quote Originally Posted by fstbusa View Post

Not sure if you're on bis or bes but you could log into your account if you have bis and change the password and that way you wouldn't have to delete the account and you wouldn't receive email. Change it back when you get back in the office.
    Probably not a good idea. At best, you will probably lock the email account. At worst, especially if left unattended for an extended period, you could lose it completely!
    JerryD

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's a BES account, so sounds like deleting the Service Book might be the way forwards. If only turning off the new message indicator actually and message count actually worked, then I could just hide my email inbox and not see I had any messages to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by DomConway View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. It's a BES account, so sounds like deleting the Service Book might be the way forwards. If only turning off the new message indicator actually and message count actually worked, then I could just hide my email inbox and not see I had any messages to worry about.
    You can try it, but my experience is that BIS email comes down with or without the service books.

On second thought, however, you can simply go to the BIS site (or use the Personal Email Setup icon on your BlackBerry) and set email to NOT be forwarded to the device (under Filters) rather than deleting the account. This is probably easier than deleting the Service Books too.
    JerryD

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala View Post
    You can try it, but my experience is that BIS email comes down with or without the service books.

On second thought, however, you can simply go to the BIS site (or use the Personal Email Setup icon on your BlackBerry) and set email to NOT be forwarded to the device (under Filters) rather than deleting the account. This is probably easier than deleting the Service Books too.
    It's BES not BIS though.

wassona no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2439fbe3
    Turn on the firewall that is built into the phones. That way everything works except you are actively blocking all incoming emails~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    Quote Originally Posted by wassona View Post
    Turn on the firewall that is built into the phones. That way everything works except you are actively blocking all incoming emails~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    That will not block incoming emails. On BIS or BES.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

fupher no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    3042A627
    I've been wondering this myself lately as the president of our company would like to utilize the calendar, tasks, etc, without being burdened with every email.
    I did what jdellasala suggested and only deleted Desktop[CMIME] from the service book, so far this seems to have done the trick. We're on a bes btw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast