Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Has anyone tried using both a GPS receiver and a bluetooth handsfree headset at the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

vafarmboy no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Tried out the Blackberry Maps GPS this weekend

Advertisement

Has anyone tried using both a GPS receiver and a bluetooth handsfree headset at the same time? I would like to know if it can connect to both devices at once.

stkelly8 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23DEE9B7

Will it only work with the Pearl? Or will it also work with the 8700c?

bustinstugot no está en línea Stack level 2

Does it actually speak turn by turn directions or does it only display it on the screen?

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    If you use the free google maps then no. There are programs that do talk (in another thread) but I think they cost.

ericugs no está en línea Stack level 3

Yea there's Telenav or something that speaks, costs 9.99/month though IIRC.

YinksOM no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E6F454

Once you get the GPS receiver, do then have to buy software for the maps? or will software be already be installed?

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK

So has anyone got a good experience specifically with google maps and the gps reciever?

Jockobasi no está en línea Stack level 2

I understand getting the GPS receiver for the Pearl and how great it works but would it just be easier to get the new Pearl with the GPS included or stick with the old one?

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Quote Originally Posted by Jockobasi
    I understand getting the GPS receiver for the Pearl and how great it works but would it just be easier to get the new Pearl with the GPS included or stick with the old one?
    Depends on your situation. If you have a Pearl and have the ability to upgrade your contract, and you feel like spending $200-$300 on the new Curve or 8800, then thats an option.

I just got my Pearl, I like it a lot, although the Curve has been tempting to look at and hear about, I'm happy with the Pearl. Plus if I wanted to get it, I'd be paying $450 since I can't get it as an upgrade at the moment. So a $50 GPS receiver sounds good to me.

But since I just bought a Garmin handheld for hiking and geocaching, I think I'll just spend that $50 on the map software instead.

ultraspaz no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by J@ricanese
    So has anyone got a good experience specifically with google maps and the gps reciever?
    I was really looking forward to the Google Map update so I could use my Holux GPS dongle with it. I thought it would be a lot better then Blackberry Maps because of Satellite view and traffic allerts but I've found myself using Blackberry Maps more then Google's. Blackberry Maps seamed to lock up less often then Google maps. Blackberry backlight doesn't timeout during use. Blackberry Map's directions can be displayed along with the moving map display. Just my own opinion but unless Google fixes some of these little bugs I'll have to keep using Blackberry Maps who will hopefully add voice directions some day.

nrcapes no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E6997B

Quote Originally Posted by boarder5374
    I was headed to Vegas this weekend and my friend gave me his Holux GPS bluetooth reciever to try with the Pearl. Let me tell you it worked great!!

He tells me he got it on ebay for $35. I havent seen one that cheap but I have seen them for $50 pretty regularly.

While Blackberry Maps is not the "graphically deisrable" program Google Maps is, having a GPS on my $199 phone was pretty sick and it only had about a 1 second delay. For instance if I turned the corner going 15 mph, it would show the actual turn on Blackberry Maps about a second later.

To think they give this away free with the phone is great. This is my first BB, and they really came through with some great features (video playback notwithstanding).
    I am trying to get the Holux GPS Slim286 working with BB Maps on the 8100. When I hit Start GPS, it says "Error in connecting to GPS. Check your settings." It connects fine to Google Maps, though.

Did you have to do anything special to get BB Maps to connect to the GPS?

evilcaptain no está en línea Stack level 3

nrcapes,

Just make sure you pair it up in the BT settings and then you should be able to start GPS from BB Maps. Nothing special.
    Last edited by evilcaptain; 06-07-2007 at 05:06 PM.

nrcapes no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E6997B

Quote Originally Posted by ultraspaz
    I was really looking forward to the Google Map update so I could use my Holux GPS dongle with it. I thought it would be a lot better then Blackberry Maps because of Satellite view and traffic allerts but I've found myself using Blackberry Maps more then Google's. Blackberry Maps seamed to lock up less often then Google maps. Blackberry backlight doesn't timeout during use. Blackberry Map's directions can be displayed along with the moving map display. Just my own opinion but unless Google fixes some of these little bugs I'll have to keep using Blackberry Maps who will hopefully add voice directions some day.
    Try nav4all. It's much better than BB Maps or Google Maps for car navigation and has voice directions. There's another thread I started on this, but you can get nav4all at www.nav4all.com. BTW, I am using a Holux GPSslim 286 with it, and it works extremely well.

mofoj0e no está en línea Stack level 1

"I get this after i install:

Error starting gmaps: Module 'gmaps' has verification error 2870 at
    offset 55b4"

Tried searching this on google and here, haven't found any solution.

Can anyone help with this?"

I'm getting this error as well. Eric, find a solution to this yet?

shayne63 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20E0D453

So basically all I have to do is buy the holux GPS reciever thing and then I can use it with the maps that come with my pearl??? and then if I want I can upgrade to to the nav4all ? Which is much much better??? Thanks a bunch if you can answer those cuz I've been using the map thing that comes with my phone a awfull lot latley. So GPS would be a awsome upgrade. Let me know please.

Thanks
    Shayne.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast