Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I was headed to Vegas this weekend and my friend gave me his Holux GPS ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

boarder5374 no está en línea Stack level 1

Tried out the Blackberry Maps GPS this weekend

Advertisement

I was headed to Vegas this weekend and my friend gave me his Holux GPS bluetooth reciever to try with the Pearl. Let me tell you it worked great!!

He tells me he got it on ebay for $35. I havent seen one that cheap but I have seen them for $50 pretty regularly.

While Blackberry Maps is not the "graphically deisrable" program Google Maps is, having a GPS on my $199 phone was pretty sick and it only had about a 1 second delay. For instance if I turned the corner going 15 mph, it would show the actual turn on Blackberry Maps about a second later.

To think they give this away free with the phone is great. This is my first BB, and they really came through with some great features (video playback notwithstanding).

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Tried out the Blackberry Maps GPS this weekend

Thanks for the info!
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

pinchao no está en línea Stack level 1

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am going to order one for mine soon. Which model of the Holux did you use? There are 236 and 240 on ebay and both of them are selling for from $80 to $100.

It was the 236. It has the same USB-style port for charging too...meaning you only have to bring your BB pearl charger and it can charge both.

Good luck - I think you could grab one cheaper on ebay if you trust buying items that way.

Thanks for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by boarder5374
    It was the 236. It has the same USB-style port for charging too...meaning you only have to bring your BB pearl charger and it can charge both.

Good luck - I think you could grab one cheaper on ebay if you trust buying items that way.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

that is great news. thanks for sharing! i defininately will be buying the gps receiver.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

There are cheaper ones that work just as well as the Holux. It is an awesome feature, to be free on a phone, with no subscrition... I tried mine this past weekend, on a friends GPS receiver, and it's AWESOME!
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

ericugs no está en línea Stack level 3

I get this after i install:

Error starting gmaps: Module 'gmaps' has verification error 2870 at
    offset 55b4"

Tried searching this on google and here, haven't found any solution.

Can anyone help with this?

bustinstugot no está en línea Stack level 2

wait i don't quite understand. you buy this holux gps receiver and boom u have gps on your phone? how does it hook up? can someone please help explain it to me... thanks

They hook up through bluetooth. You will need a bluetooth enabled GPS to pair with your pearl.
    Quote Originally Posted by bustinstugot
    wait i don't quite understand. you buy this holux gps receiver and boom u have gps on your phone? how does it hook up? can someone please help explain it to me... thanks

bustinstugot no está en línea Stack level 2

ok maybe this is another dumb question.... but if u have the gps system in front of u then why would u need the gps on your phone? whats the point?

ericugs no está en línea Stack level 3

i believe it's only a gps *receiver*, a receiver will do you no good with nothing to display on :P

PIN/ID
    ATA

the GPS receiver has to be bluetooth and it is an EXTERNAL device. once paired with your Pearl AND map software (i.e. bb maps or google maps) you have instant navigation.

PIN/ID
    ATA

exactly eric. the gps is ONLY a receiver (tells your pearl map software, via BT, where you are).

the gps isn't really "on your phone"...but, with the map software or even some of the NOT free navigation software, you get the turn by turn and such. you can also map your way around using google if you know your location, without the receiver.

They are right - the GPS Reciever allows Blackberry Maps to track your location on the map application.

Functionally you turn on the Bluetooth GPS (make sure you have enabled Bluetooth on the Blackberry) and then go to Blackberry Maps - on the main menu all you have to do is click "Start GPS". It takes it about 15-30 seconds to locate you initially. You'll know it worked because it will tell you "Currently on..." and put a red arrow on the map. While you are driving it also tells you what direction you are driving and your mph.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast