I'm about as new to the Blackberry as you can get... I've been using a ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

pearlywhites35 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    206942CE

Question Treo User Wants To Convert To BB Pearl 8100?? - Need advice plz

Advertisement

I'm about as new to the Blackberry as you can get...

I've been using a Palm Treo for the past few years, and love it and it's functionality. However, I'm tired of the clunky size of it and am thinking of converting to the BB Pearl 8100. Besides, I feel like the minority...everyone else has a crackberry, except me!

I'm a little hesitant in switching though, because I've just been told by the 'phone guys' that I won't be able to sync my BB with Outlook...which I currently use extensively with my Treo. I also use a lot of 3rd party software on my Treo...like Pocket Quicken which syncs with my destop version of Quicken.

Is there anyone else out there that has been a past Treo user? Maybe you could give me some input into the pros and cons you've found switching to a BB. I would appreciate any advice you could lend.

Thanks,
    Tara :-)

docholliday no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317AFEB6

Re: Treo User Wants To Convert To BB Pearl 8100?? - Need advice plz

You can sync with Outlook via the Desktop Manager. It's not as quick and direct as using ActiveSync (or whatever it's called for Vista), but it's still fully functional. The one big difference between Palm/WM and BB devices is in the area of 3rd party software. If you rely on a lot of it, perhaps a BB is the wrong choice. While there are a lot of choices and while the BB has great functionality and generally has some sort of solution, I think Quicken may be an exception (I don't know of any BB financial software which can interface or sync with Quicken).

pearlywhites35 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    206942CE

Thanks Doc for the reply! My main concern was the Outlook issue. As for 3rd party software, it's not a HUGE dependence. I did some searching, and it looks like one of the financial programs (Ascendo, I think) will interface with Quicken, so I'm not totally lost!

docholliday no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317AFEB6

No problem. Check out the following for more information:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/dynam...C&kcId=KB14730

mish2brivero no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi there,
    I switched over to a pearl from a treo 680 and I love my sleek & slim pearl. Checking email & browsing the web is a breeze. You can easily transfer all of your Outlook contacts & calendar using the desktop manager. I do miss the treo's touch screen, graphitti & all the great free 3rd party apps- but that's not such a big deal.
    I went to the cingular store fully intending to upgrade to a red treo 700 & walked out with a red pearl instead. I have to say that I'm pretty happy with my blackberry!

PDUB204 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

My checkbook 3 and ascendo money both can sync with quicken on the desktop. I am not sure about on the BB itself never tried it. I have done it with the desktop. 3 easy steps. Hope this helps. I have used a treo 600 650 700p. 700w. 700wx before switching to a BB at first I used an 8703e and was not sure I made the right choice but when I used 8830 and now 8130 I know I made the correct choice. Media player and camera are essential for me. I have also used windows devices and I love my 8130. Hope this helps