Hey guys, I currently own a Treo 700p and have owned the whole line since ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

enkidu no está en línea Stack level 1

Treo 700p to Pearl?

Advertisement

Hey guys, I currently own a Treo 700p and have owned the whole line since the Treo 600. A 600, two 650s and my 700p. Love the Treos and their functionality, I can do pretty much anything including stream content from my computer at home to my phone and access files.

I've been waiting for something like the Pearl, and I'm hoping it's what I want, but that's where I need your help.

Mostly, I use my Treo for email and internet access, which I'm sure the Pearl can handle. I access my corporate enterprise server and personal pop3 and imap email on my Treo and I know the blackberry is good at that. The blackberry has full internet and document functionality, right? I would be able to view any website and download and edit excel, pdf, word etc. files? And create new documents?

I know the blackberry doesn't have a touchscreen, so I'm looking forward to using the trackball. A little reluctant, however.

Does the Pearl function as a mp3/video player? As far as I know they don't work as well as the Treo for things like this. And I know it can be used as a wireless high speed moden via bluetooth like the Treo, right?

I'm looking forward to going to the Tmo store to play with the Pearl.

Plus the fact that it's GSM will really help out since I'll be in Europe/Asia for about 5 months next year, although my Sprint Treo made/received calls in South America, the emaila dn internet and text messaging was unfunctional.

Last question, does the Pearl thread text messages? As in, display text messages to/from the same person as a chat dialogue?

Thanks for the help guys. From the surface, it appears that the Pearl is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm sure I can get used to the suretype.

enkidu no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Treo 700p to Pearl?

One additional question:

I can use GPS software and receiver with the Treo, si this possible with the Pearl? In addition, if this is not possible, I know BB maps exists, is this a good application? Currently I use GoogleMaps for the Treo when I'm not using GPS, is BB maps similar?

ari982 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I'm a former treo user who switched to a pearl. I think everything you are worried about the pearl will treat you better. With 2 exception sprint has EDVO but the BB is alway connected to the internet which is really nice. The texts are sorta threaded but nothing like the treo. IMO that was the treo's best feature!

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

You will not be able to edit or create Office files without 3rd party software.

As well, viewing Office and pdf is NOT the same as on a computer. Often the style is "adjusted" to fit the content on the screen. I often don't bother and wait until I'm at a computer to view the files.

Media content is a new area which RIM is introducing the BlackBerry to, and they have a long way to go yet. I would definitely NOT recommend the Pearl as a multimedia device. As for streaming content, I don't think that there has been any earth-shattering app come out...yet...which makes the Pearl stand out from anything else. Palm or PSP still likely lead the way in this area.

And even though I have a Pearl, it is not going to replace my iPod. Not at least any time soon.

Email is where BlackBerry excells and leaves all others wanting.

If your company has BES and MDS, you will be able to access the intranet of your company.

You will also be able to use your personal email with BIS, as long as your company doesn't block this with IT policy(ies).

SMS can be threaded, but I find that with large threads, the composing and reading slow down considerably, so I've turned the threads off; but then again, I type quite fast and carry on multiple conversations concurrently.

Browsing is decent, but it depends on what content you want to access and how quickly you expect it to load and what you want it to look like. For what I use, it's acceptable, but by no means has it replaced a computer with high speed access.

Not trying to dissuade you, but the Pearl may not be the device you're looking for; however, the best judge of that would be you.

And if you're concerned about having a device that will work while roaming, Palm has Treo devices which are GSM based as well.