I have a brand-new 8130, and it seems to me that the trackball sometimes seem ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

powerdog no está en línea Stack level 2

trackball question

Advertisement

I have a brand-new 8130, and it seems to me that the trackball sometimes seem to lack "traction." For example, if I'm scrolling up or down a list, I'll sometimes have to roll it twice to move the cursor to the next line, because the first time didn't do anything.

Most of the suggestions I've read about this talk about cleaning, but I don't think it can be dirty after less than an hour of use!

Thanks.

JoBelle no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Re: trackball question

I may be totally wrong on this, but trying to stick with the idea of helping if we think we can, I'll just in and offer something. Hopefully, you haven't already tried it! LOL

When my 8830 was having issues like you described, it was just a few days into use as well. After playing with the various options all day, I found a setting under the keyboard/screen option that let me increase my trackball sensitivity. Going from 40 to 90% made it whip things around like it had just had a couple of triple espressos with extra sugar!

Maybe that's what it is. If not, good luck. Hope I helped. Also hope I didn't sound too dumb, since we don't have the same phone~!

Jo
    "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!"

agibbons2 no está en línea Stack level 1

I had that on my 8830, thee is a setting for trackball sensitivity... maybe need to adjust to fit your style. I think its under options,homescreen, etc... its there just need to look around a bit.

I'll try it, though I would have guessed that sensitivity=cursor speed, not whether it thinks you've moved the trackball at all. But I'll give it a go. Thanks

davidbeaudoin no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    301DFF2A

I have the same phone (8130) and have been the same issues. It seems as if when we move the tackball too fast, it doesn't respond. I have tried playing with the sensativity a while ago and still today, nothing makes it better. The previous Pearl I have before my DOA wasn't like that, I have no issues. Not to mention that many (most) my collegues have this phone also and some do have this issue, others don't. The ones that are alright have the same settings I do but overall, it is their trackball that happens to be more "slick." I think that I will just buy a new trackball.

You can buy just a trackball alone?

dogNamedMerl no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E19E6C

Heya powerdog,

I have an 8100 and I've found that over time lint builds up inside the trackball mechanism and causes exactly the symptoms you describe. It might not take much time, lint, or thumb-juice to do it if you're unlucky. Sometimes the problem is only associated with a particular direction.

If you think this might be the case and you're brave, the trackball assembly can be removed and taken apart completely (i.e. so the ball itself is free). Inside you'll find four small friction rods who's job it is to translate the rotation of the ball to tiny pickups attached to the inside of the BB. They can be cleaned off -- quite easily with your fingers. The reassembly is a bit tricky and can take some time and steady hands. In principle, all that's needed is a pocketknife and maybe some tweezers.

It looks like you've already found some cleaning instructions around the site. I'd be happy to provide more info too if you think it's worth a try.

In any case, this sort of procedure could invalidate your warranty, so if you aren't desperate or don't enjoy this nerdy technical kind of project, you might consider requesting a warranty replacement from your provider.

Cheers,
    merl