Hi I've posted before about the trackball 'locking up'. After much cursing this afternoon, I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

lightsoutlon no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs up Trackball is sticking? A solution!

Advertisement

Hi

I've posted before about the trackball 'locking up'.

After much cursing this afternoon, I squirted some glasses (specs) cleaner on the ball and used my specs cleaning cloth on it. It cost about £2 (US$4) from the optician.

So far, so good . Less risky than dismantling the BB and invalidating any warranties.

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Trackball is sticking? A solution!

Also rubbing alcohol on a qtip works well.. You just want to make sure you dont get any liquid up under the ball. Could cause you real problems if its real wet...
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

Quote Originally Posted by SuzzyP
    Also rubbing alcohol on a qtip works well.. You just want to make sure you dont get any liquid up under the ball. Could cause you real problems if its real wet...
    From the smell of it, I think most lens cleaning solution are alcohol based.

I still think it's pretty crap that an expensive and much lauded bit of kit like the Pearl suffers from such an annoying defect.

Don't get me started on the Pearl's inability to just simply play video clips. Grr.

Next time, I'm going back to Sony but for now I'm locked in on a UK Vodafone contract.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by lightsoutlon
    Hi

I've posted before about the trackball 'locking up'.

After much cursing this afternoon, I squirted some glasses (specs) cleaner on the ball and used my specs cleaning cloth on it. It cost about £2 (US$4) from the optician.

So far, so good . Less risky than dismantling the BB and invalidating any warranties.
    yeah, be very careful with squirting ANYTHING in your blackberry. Even with alchohol based products, if it hits the internal LDI your warranty is done for.

^ aye, fair enough.

Might have helped if Blackberry actually sold a product which does the things they claim it can. Might also have helped if something so basic as a trackball worked properly.

Since my last post, a colleague has told me Vodafone will take back the BB and exchange it, as they have had so many unhappy Pearl customers. Not sure if this is true or an urban myth but if and when I go through this nonsense again, I'll be heading back to the Vodafone shop.

Such a shame. It's mostly been a disappointment since I got it.

imwillzillla no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2038A4B8

With all of these issues. Is there a chance that they'll go back to the wheel?

Daiikun no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242A31A6

what about taking a simple alcohol swab and wiping the ball down? Will that really get into the LDI at all? I really DON'T want to spray ANYTHING on my Pearl...

I work at Starbucks I'm around enough liquids. I treat this thing like my baby and there's NO WAY that ANY liquid will touch it. Hell, I'm afraid to take it out if it RAINS!