Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm not sure how long its been like this...i really only noticed it last night ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

madetosink no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23FC9D3F

Trackball doesn't click down...

Advertisement

I'm not sure how long its been like this...i really only noticed it last night when I was looking at my friend's Pearl and clicked it down. I thought..."wait a sec...this doesn't feel like mine!" So I don't know if there is a way to fix this or not. It still has functionality, but it does seem a little bit harder to actually select something in the browser or where ever. Does anyone know if I can fix it or do I have to call the tech support through t-mobile? BTW: I have had my pearl for only about 5 months now so I know it is covered.

Thanks,
    Made

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Trackball doesn't click down...

What do you mean it doesn't click down? Like it won't select anything?

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

It may be that some dirt or lint has gotten trapped under the pearl. A Q-Tip soaked in rubbing or denatured alcohol can help free it up. Sometimes compressed air will also knock it loose. If there is significant accumulation, you may need to remove the trackball assembly and clean it that way.

Reddog's Trackball Cleaning thread
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

PIN/ID
    23FC9D3F

Yeah...I looked through your tutorial Reddog...I'm just a little hesitant taking stuff apart because I don't want to break anything. I still have use of the trackball...it still selects things and rolls around, but I cannot feel it press down or "click"...it's just annoying because I cannot tell if I am actually selecting something or not. If I shake the phone I can hear a slight rattle. Just out of curiosity, is there a spring that presses the trackball back up or what? What makes it float up?

I did call tech support and they wanted me to do a master reset??? I had to make myself a little clearer in that it was a physical problem...not software. They said do it anyways so they can log it and it would be easier for them to send a replacement. So...I have done the reset and I'm gonna call them back tomorrow. But I may try to disassemble the trackball just for the hell of it. I just may not get in too deep.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Just take your time, and don't force anything. There shouldn't be a rattle of any kind with the trackball, and there should definitely be a solid "click" feel to it when you press down.

Try the alcohol on the Q-tip first, if you are hesitant to disassemble. Just rub it on the Pearl, roll the ball around a little bit, rub more on there. Sometimes if its only a small amount of dirt, that can free it up.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

PIN/ID
    23FC9D3F

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~well I did disassemble and reassemble the Trackball and surprisingly there wasn't much dirt/dust at all...I did blow at what was inside but it didn't help at all...and I found all the parts intact while removing...I'm guessing there must be something wrong with the part that is below the Trackball. If it isn't that...I have no clue...the ball just feels like it is always pressed down...like it won't go any further. If anyone else has had this problem please let me know how they resolved it...meanwhile I shall call the techies and see about getting a replacement...

Thanks,
    Made

rabbie303 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

sounds like the same problem I had and I had to get it replaced not too long ago. Everything worked cept' for the pressing down and selecting with the pearl. royal pain in the a$$ but it did get replaced for free. call the provider asap.
    ~Erich~
    ---60% of the time it works every time--

Daiikun no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242A31A6

If it is a problem with the pressing down of the track-ball, try removing it and putting it back in again carefully. It could just be that it wasn't aligned right. If that doesn't work, definitely call the service provider and politely ask them to send you a new one due to the issue.

PIN/ID
    23FC9D3F

I'm gonna call them here in a bit...I already spoke with them and they asked me to do a master reset...so I did it (even though I knew it wouldn't help)...and I have to call them back to let them know that it didn't help. They did say something about the one year warranty not covering physical problems with the pearl...I don't know if that's true or not, but in a situation like this...I think it should be! I still have functionality of selecting items, but in terms of actually being able to feel it...none. Of course I won't tell them I took it apart...what TMO don't know won't hurt em!

PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by madetosink
    I still have functionality of selecting items, but in terms of actually being able to feel it...none. Of course I won't tell them I took it apart...what TMO don't know won't hurt em!
    So I'm confused, you can select stuff? What do you mean by "able to feel it"?

PIN/ID
    23FC9D3F

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~like when you push the Trackball down you can actually feel it move down...it shifts down like the scroll wheel in the middle of a pc mouse...it moves...mine doesn't move downward at all...and yes I can still select stuff

PIN/ID
    STACK

When you had it out did you look at the metal tab on the assembly? It could have been bent or something.

PIN/ID
    23FC9D3F

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~well there's the tab that is on the very bottom that actually presses against the part of the phone that is surrounded by the led lights...is that what you're talking about?

PIN/ID
    STACK

Yea that's that tab I'm talking about.

PIN/ID
    23FC9D3F

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~im not sure what its supposed to look like...is it bent more toward the phone...like if you're looking at the front of your bb does it lean away for toward you? Or is it just flat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast