All, When I push the top (up) volume control button on the pearl nothing happens. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

robertw70 no está en línea Stack level 1

Top (up) volume control button not working

All,

When I push the top (up) volume control button on the pearl nothing happens. When I push the lower (down) button it works and lowers the volume. I found a work around to hear people by changing the volume options from previous to 100% on the phone - general options so I'm good there. One place it really affects me is the media player...but basically I just need help...

I have taken the battery out several times but it still doesn't work. It appears to be hardware failure but I'm hoping I'm wrong and someone has an answer....

Thanks in advance for your help!

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    Blog Entries
    Well, If you've tried battery pulls, then it sounds like a hardware issue to me too!!

DiamondD2506 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    *Ask*
    I had a similar problem last winter and since my phone was still under warranty and i couldn't figure it out myself, i got a replacement from TMobile
    *CLASSY, not TRASHY*

ArtSmart no está en línea Stack level 2

Workaround for Volume Up Button Not Working

I had the same failure. You can verify that the button has physically failed by going under Options / Screen/Keyboard / Key Tone On / Save. Now you can hear every other button, even the volume down button, but not the broken volume up button.

Before I realized that I had this issue, I was monkeying around with the volume up/down buttons trying to get the volume to go up. Since the up/down buttons are on a rocker switch (a see-saw lever with a middle fulcrum), if you press the up button hard enough, it will actually press down on the fulcrum enough to activate the down button. Do this enough times and you end up with zero volume.

There I was on the media player set at zero volume and no way in the world to raise it. With the media player at zero volume, you can't hear any alternative ring tones, because they play through the media player. Can't hear any Internet videos either, which is a real bummer.

I tried using my BlueTooth earpiece, which has its own volume control. Nada. In BlackBerry RIM's infinite wisdom, the media player doesn't work with the BlueTooth. BrickBreaker does, but not the media player. Go figure.

Here was my workaround to get the media player volume back up to 50% (not 100%, but it's a heck of a lot better than zero):

1. Launch desktop manager
    2. Synchronize with Outlook
    3. Backup everything to a new database (not really needed, but just a precaution)
    4. Restore old database (before volume got stuck at 0%)
    5. Change synchronization conflict resolution options so that Outlook wins
    6. Synchronize with Outlook
    7. Change synchronization conflict resolution option back to "ask me what to do"

Voila. Now my media player volume is back to 50%, which is where it was when I did the last backup before accidentally ratcheting it down to 0%.

Whenever I restore a database, it always loses my Internet Browser. To get it back, go under Options / Advanced Options / Host Routing Table / Menu Key / Register Now / Ok. Unfortunately, I'm back to all the old bookmarks as they were in the old database, but I can always re-do those changes.

I'll just limp along with this broken BlackBerry until my T-Mobile contract is up, then I'll probably buy an iPhone, even if it means switching to AT&T. I've already decided (http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/showpost.php?p=876325&postcount=259) that I'll never buy another SmartPhone that has any moving parts whatsoever.

I think the RIM engineers were utterly stupid not to offer any software solution to hardware issues, like a software means to raise the volume. And not letting the media player transmit to the BlueTooth was stupid, too. And when the trackball won't go up or it won't go down, it surely would have been nice on the home page if rolling all the way right/left would wrap around to the next row up or down, instead of just staying on the left- or right-most icon. Nothing's more frustrating than having a trackball that won't roll up or down to the icon that you desperately need.

Those would have been very easy software solutions to common hardware problems. Instead, the RIM engineers either never contemplated a hardware problem, or they were instructed not to provide any software solutions just to force the customer to buy a new BlackBerry. Either way, I'm not a happy customer, and I won't hesitate to switch to an iPhone if RIM can't come up with a new SmartPhone devoid of moving parts. We'll see.

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    ArtSmart - software releases are a balancing act of bug fixes and features, with the third dimension of a due date. Things like bluetooth headset support for the media player are weighed against other fixes/features.

I'd suggest you load up the 4.5 release when it's released by your carrier (you should be happy with many of the updates).

As for "limping along" with a broken blackberry. Not sure why you would (unless you enjoy self-abuse). If your device is in warranty, the carrier would look after having it fixed. There's also video's and resources on this site for how to get a replacement trackball and replacing it. (it's quite serviceable on the Pearls and Curves).

As for no moving parts....you don't like having a keyboard??

iPhone Next

Quote Originally Posted by Ridicule View Post
    As for "limping along" with a broken blackberry. Not sure why you would (unless you enjoy self-abuse). ... As for no moving parts....you don't like having a keyboard??
    Do you think a working Volume Up button is worth the cost of a new BlackBerry? I'll limp along with it just fine, thank you. Why the RIM engineers didn't allow access to volume under a Properties menu, I'll never know.

As for the keyboard, no problems with it -- yet -- but looking at the utterly poor quality of the trackball, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the keys quit working at any time. Please note that there are now 18 pages and 264 posts to the thread "Trackball Cleaning and Disassembly w/ PICTURES" (http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=38395), so there's an awful lot of agony out there.

Why are replacement trackballs not available in T-Mobile stores? Why must we go to third parties for replacement trackball assemblies? When I bought my two BlackBerry Pearls (for wife and me), I assumed that either T-Mobile or RIM would have available for sale any/all accessories needed. Fool me once, shame on you. But I won't be fooled twice.

If BlackBerry can come up with a SmartPhone devoid of moving parts, then I'll consider buying it. Otherwise, my next phone will be an iPhone. Period.

kmacdowe777 no está en línea Stack level 1

Arrow Top (up) volume control button not working

I also have the same problem. The Top (up) volume control button only allows me to turn the volume down, not up, so I am stuck with zero volume. I have also seen this same problem written about in other parts of the web so I can only assume it is a fairly widespread problem. I am out of warranty so will conisder disassembling it. Any others with this problem?

s4berry no está en línea Stack level 3
    This was the very first problem I had with my pearl almost a year ago. It's a hardware issue. Instead of trying to fuss with the volume and BB media player (volume already down to zero and useless), I downloaded the personal multiPlay app from Dollars 5 (www.dollars5.com). It's free and you can adjust the volume in the app itself.

But here's the funny thing, about 3 weeks or so ago from today, my up volume button started working. I couldn't understand why. Then I remembered. I had dropped my phone 2 times the week before (from my hip holster). A few minor dings on my pearl, but hey, I got volume control back .

Archangeldawn no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Thanks ArtSmart that Keytone on feature was really helpful

I have been with my BB 8100 Pearl for over a year now and only these past 4 weeks has my Volume Down - button not been working. I had been searching the blackberry forums, and no one helps there...until I goggled my question and thus I found this excellent remarkable thread that has the answer to my long time question.

I see now that it is a hardware issue, the Volume down button seems to have sunken in just a bit. Like the volume up, seems to "bounce" back, while the Volume down is just stuck..Perhaps something became loss under there.

Has anyone successfully fixed a broken volume control? I will try to disassemble my BB 8100 Pearl and see what I can do with it, hopefully it is just a loss part.

Archangeldawn no está en línea Stack level 1

Restoring volume to 50% using Desktop Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by ArtSmart View Post
    I had the same failure. You can verify that the button has physically failed by going under Options / Screen/Keyboard / Key Tone On / Save. Now you can hear every other button, even the volume down button, but not the broken volume up button.

Here was my workaround to get the media player volume back up to 50% (not 100%, but it's a heck of a lot better than zero):

1. Launch desktop manager
    2. Synchronize with Outlook
    3. Backup everything to a new database (not really needed, but just a precaution)
    4. Restore old database (before volume got stuck at 0%)
    5. Change synchronization conflict resolution options so that Outlook wins
    6. Synchronize with Outlook
    7. Change synchronization conflict resolution option back to "ask me what to do"

Voila. Now my media player volume is back to 50%, which is where it was when I did the last backup before accidentally ratcheting it down to 0%.

Whenever I restore a database, it always loses my Internet Browser. To get it back, go under Options / Advanced Options / Host Routing Table / Menu Key / Register Now / Ok. Unfortunately, I'm back to all the old bookmarks as they were in the old database, but I can always re-do those changes.

Okay I Could restore an old database where the volume was at 50%, but the Desktop Media Manager also has an option to restore specific options that were previously backed up .

SO my question is, does anyone know what specific database controls the volume control? SO I won't have to do a FULL Database restore?

Thank You

Just to give an update, my wife and I switched to T-Mobile G1 (Android OS) phones well over a year ago, and we're delighted. I shall never for the rest of my life buy another RIM product for the reasons cited above.

jhutton12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7BB5F94A

Thumbs down

I have a different situation with my bold 9650, it reduces the volume of anything I might be playing when I push any key and you then can barely hear anything until I pause what I'm playing and then hit the play key again or the space button or the mute key! It is pretty annoying at this stage and my upgrade is due in five months with Verizon so I'm just waiting for now.
    Shalom to you (peace)

becca1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    My Blackberry 9000 has this problem. The volume down button works but not the volume up. I removed the back cover and used a small, very thin pair of tweezers to slide into the side and touch the volume up pad. This isn't a perfect solution but it will do until I replace my phone. Of course I accidentally turn it back down and have to repeat this procedure every couple of days.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to PinStack, becca.....thanks for the tip!
    It's always darkest before the dawn, so if you're gonna steal your neighbor's newspaper, that would be the time to do it.

Technical Support Blog | Forum Rules and Guidelines | Theme Posting Rules and Guidelines | Trust Level Explained

Razen no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    256D76F4
    Hmm, i wonder why criticising a company is of soo much concern to someone! Do you think you can have a trouble free digital life? Just shift to other platforms and you shall still notice there is its shortcomings! The best thing to do is to find a way out of something, not to find a way into a new problem thinking it might be easier! Just visit other phones platforms support sites and tell me if you will find all the topics headers reading:-perfect media playing....-nice new os for my.......-awesome volume control....YOU can bet that this is not the case, you will rather find:-iphone dies after installing....-android theme crashed and my phone is brick useless, any help!-i cant find the volume control unit in my.....YES!! Peple stick to where the is help, and get helped!!By the way, just shift platforms and good luck with your new problems!!